Definition of Tobacco smoking
Tobacco smoking: The direct inhalation of tobacco smoke, the basis of major health hazards.
Long known to cause cancer in humans, tobacco smoking is generally held to be the leading preventable cause of cancer in developed countries. Tobacco smoking was formally classified as a "known human carcinogen" by the US government in 2000.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions