Definition of Exstrophy
Exstrophy: Eversion of a hollow organ at birth.
An exstrophic bladder is one that is turned inside out like a rubber glove.
In exstrophy of the cloaca (a primitive embryonic structure) an area of the intestine is interposed between two separate areas of the bladder.
The word exstrophy is from the Greek ex, out, + strophe, a turning.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions