Definition of LOD score
LOD score: In genetics, a statistical estimate of whether two loci (the sites of genes) are likely to lie near each other on a chromosome and are therefore likely to be inherited together as a package.
LOD stands for logarithm of the odds (to the base 10). A LOD score of three or more is generally taken to indicate that two gene loci are close to each other on the chromosome. (A LOD score of three means the odds are a thousand to one in favor of genetic linkage).
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions