Definition of Atlantoaxial
Atlantoaxial: Pertaining to the first and second cervical vertebrae which meet at a joint called the atlantoaxial joint.
The uppermost cervical vertebra (the atlas) rotates about the odontoid process of the second cervical vertebra (the axis). The joint between the axis and atlas is a pivot type of joint that allows the head turn.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions