Definition of Thioxanthene
Thioxanthene: One of a group of drugs with antipsychotic activity which act by blocking postsynaptic (after-the-nerve) receptors for dopamine (a chemical that nerves use to communicate with one another) in the brain.
Examples include: thiothixene (brand name: Navane), chlorprothixene (Remeron) and flupenthixol.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions