Definition of Paronychia
Paronychia: Inflammation of the folds of tissue surrounding the nail due to infection or inflammation. The infection may be bacterial (most commonly, staph or strep) or fungal pathogens.
The term "paronychia" is compounded from "para-", next to + the Greek "onyx", nail = next to the nail. Paronychia is synonymous with perionychia.
Last Editorial Review: 9/20/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions