Health Tip: When You Feed Baby Formula
(HealthDay News) -- Baby formula is designed for infants a year old or younger who aren't breast-fed.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these suggestions for safe preparation and use of baby formula:
- Wash bottles and nipples with soap, and sterilize them by boiling for 10 minutes.
- Follow instructions carefully for mixing formula. Adding the wrong amount of water can lead to serious health problems for baby.
- Store unmixed formula in areas that are cool and dry with a plastic lid on top of the can.
- Store mixed formula in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Carefully warm up a bottle by setting it in hot water -- never boil or microwave it.
- Throw away any formula that baby doesn't eat. Don't save it for later.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.