Health Tip: Dealing With Grief
Latest Mental Health News
(HealthDay News) -- Grieving is a natural healing process after a significant loss, including the death of a loved one, the decline of one's own health, or the breakup of a relationship.
The American Academy of Family Physicians suggests how to help cope during the grieving process:
- Communicate with others about what you're feeling, and don't be afraid to ask loved ones for help.
- Try to stay on top of daily responsibilities to avoid falling behind and feeling overwhelmed.
- Try to get regular exercise, eat healthy foods and get plenty of sleep.
- Don't drink alcohol, which ultimately can make you feel more depressed.
- Push yourself to return to your regular routine as quickly as possible.
- Avoid making major decisions just after a loss.
- Allow yourself to feel the typical symptoms of grief, which may include sadness, crying, anger and numbness.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.