Definition of Muscular dystrophy, congenital
Muscular dystrophy, congenital: A form of muscular dystrophy that is present at birth. Various types of congenital MD have been identified, each caused by a different genetic error. Congenital MD can affect males or females. Diagnosis is initially by observation of general muscle weakness (hypotonia).
See also muscular dystrophy, myotonic.
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions