Health Tip: Encourage Teens to Drive Safely
(HealthDay News) -- Before teens begin driving, parents should discuss a few ground rules to help prevent accidents.
The U.S. National Safety Council suggests how parents can prepare their teens for safe driving:
- Take your teen out for lots of practice sessions, exposing him or her to various driving situations.
- Don't allow your teen to drive with any distractions. That means no cell phones or other teens in the car.
- Establish strict rules about seat belt use and drunk driving, and enforce your punishments.
- Talk to your teen often and openly.
- Be informed about where your teen is going, what he or she is doing and who may be riding along.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.