Definition of TEE
TEE: Transesophageal echocardiography. A diagnostic test which employs ultrasound waves to make images of the heart chambers, valves and surrounding structures and which is done through the esophagus.
TEE may be used, for example, in the treatment of children having heart surgery. TEE has unusually accurate imaging capabilities that permit the identification of previously unidentified anatomic features and postoperative surgical results that may necessitate a change in surgical plan or surgical revision before the child leaves the operating suite.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions