Definition of HHV-2
This virus, like human herpesvirus 1, can cause infection of the brain (encephalitis) if the immune system is severely defective or compromised. The treatment of infection with human herpesvirus 2 is by topical or oral anti-viral medication.
Human herpesvirus 2 (HHV-2) is also known as herpes simplex type 2.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions