Health Tip: Prevent a Fungal Nail Infection
(HealthDay News) -- A fungal infection of the fingernails or toenails can make them hard, brittle and discolored.
To avoid a fungal infection, the American Academy of Family Physicians offers these nail-care suggestions:
- Keep nails trimmed, with thick areas filed down.
- If you have an infection, use different files or cutters on the infected ones to avoid spreading the problem.
- If you have to submerge your hands in water, wear waterproof gloves to keep hands dry.
- Make sure socks are made of 100 percent cotton. Put on a clean pair every day, and change them when socks become damp and sweaty.
- Sprinkle socks with an anti-fungal foot powder, and make sure your toes have plenty of wiggle room inside your shoes.
- Don't walk barefoot in public places, especially in locker rooms.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.