Our Coccydynia (Tailbone Pain) Main Article provides a comprehensive look at the who, what, when and how of Coccydynia (Tailbone Pain)
Definition of Coccydynia
Coccydynia: Pain in the coccyx (the tailbone).
The coccyx is the small bone at the bottom of the spine very near the anus. The coccyx is made up of 3-5 rudimentary vertebrae and is the lowest part of the spinal column.
The suffix -dynia comes from the Greek word "odyne" meaning pain.
Last Editorial Review: 6/14/2012
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions