Health Tip: Protect Yourself From Burns
(HealthDay News) -- Most homes are equipped with many products and appliances that can cause burns.
The American Academy of Family Physicians offers these suggestions to help reduce your risk:
- Always wear protective clothing, including gloves, when handling chemicals. When you're not using them, make sure they're stored safely out of a child's reach.
- Cover all electrical outlets that are within a child's reach, and get rid of damaged or frayed electrical cords.
- Make sure children stay away from space heaters, lighters and matches.
- Don't leave lit candles unattended.
- Keep children away from the stove or oven while you're cooking.
- Never microwave baby bottles. They can heat unevenly and scald an infant's mouth.
- Keep devices such as curling irons and clothes irons unplugged, and make sure children can't ever reach them.
-- Diana Kohnle
Copyright © 2010 HealthDay. All rights reserved.