Definition of Streptococcus, group A
Autoimmune reactions to strep have also recently been associated with a number of disorders, including guttate psoriasis (cradle cap), Sydenham's chorea (a movement disorder related to rheumatic fever), obsessive-compulsive disorder, Tourette syndrome, autism, and anorexia nervosa.
Group A strep are also known popularly as flesh-eating bacteria.
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions