Definition of Staphylococcal infection
Staphylococcal infection: Infection with one of the Staphylococcal bacteria. Staph infection can cause pus-filled abscesses on the skin or internal organs, and can migrate through the blood to infect the heart, brain, and other areas. Treatment is with antibiotics and drainage of abscesses as needed. A particularly dangerous form of this infection is methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, commonly referred to as MRSA.
See also Staphylococcal scalded skin syndrome (SSSS), Staphylococcus.
Last Editorial Review: 10/30/2013
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions