Our Pelvic Exam Main Article provides a comprehensive look at the who, what, when and how of Pelvic Exam
Definition of Pelvic exam
Pelvic exam: An examination of the organs of the female reproductive system.
In a pelvic exam, a speculum (an instrument for opening and widening certain passages of the body) is used to open the vagina and aid in visualizing the uterine cervix. A sample of cells may be taken off the surface of the cervix for a Pap smear or a sample may be obtained for laboratory culture. The uterus womb and ovaries are felt with the fingers to detect swellings or other abnormalities.
Last Editorial Review: 8/28/2013
Back to MedTerms online medical dictionary A-Z List
Need help identifying pills and medications?
- Allergic Skin Disorders
- Bacterial Skin Diseases
- Bites and Infestations
- Diseases of Pigment
- Fungal Skin Diseases
- Medical Anatomy and Illustrations
- Noncancerous, Precancerous & Cancerous Tumors
- Oral Health Conditions
- Papules, Scales, Plaques and Eruptions
- Scalp, Hair and Nails
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs)
- Vascular, Lymphatic and Systemic Conditions
- Viral Skin Diseases
- Additional Skin Conditions