Side Leg Raise Exercise
The side leg raise strengthens muscles at sides of hips and thighs. Use
ankle weights, if you are ready to or gradually work up to adding weights.
- Stand up straight,
directly behind a table or chair, feet slightly apart. Hold
onto the table to help keep your balance.
- Take 3 seconds to
lift your right leg 6 to 12 inches out to the side. Keep
your back and both legs straight (hold your abdomen in and do not arch your
back). Don't point your toes
outward; keep them facing forward. Hold the position for 1
- Take 3 seconds to lower your leg back to the
- Repeat with left leg.
- Alternate legs,
until you have repeated the exercise 8 to 15 times with
- Rest; do another set of 8 to 15 alternating
Last Editorial Review: 2/10/2003
- Stand straight, directly behind table, feet slightly
- Hold table for balance.
- Slowly lift one leg to side, 6-12 inches.
- Hold position.
- Slowly lower leg.
- Repeat with other leg.
- Back and both knees are straight throughout exercise.