Doctor's Responses Archive

Viewer Question:

Just had blood test for Sjogren syndrome. On the script the doctor wrote Ro La. The woman taking blood wrote on the script SS-A and SS-B. Could you please give me more information on this.

Doctor's Response:

Ro antibody is also referred to as SS-A or anti-Ro antibody. La antibody is also referred to as SS-B antibody. Your doctor and the lab technician are using different terms that mean the same thing.

Both antibodies are commonly found in the blood of persons with Sjogren's syndrome. They can also sometimes be found in persons with systemic lupus erythematosus, neonatal lupus, mixed connective tissue disease and other illnesses.

Thank you for your question.

Last Editorial Review: 12/29/2004

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors