Physical Activity For
Your child needs regular physical activity through play
and sports to stay fit. Good physical activity habits
learned early in life can help your child become an active and
healthy adult. Adults who are physically active are less
likely to be overweight or to have heart disease, high
blood pressure, and other diseases. Adults and children
should try to get at least 30 minutes of physical activity
most days of the week.
Last Editorial Review: 3/3/2003
- Encourage your child to participate in physical
activities, including sports.
- Encourage involvement in activities that can be enjoyed
into adulthood (walking, running, swimming, basketball,
tennis, golf, dancing, and bicycle riding).
- Plan physical activities with family or friends;
exercise is more fun with others.
- Limit the time your child spends watching TV to less
than 2 hours per day. Encourage going out to the
playground, park, gym, or swimming pool instead.
- Physical activity should be fun. Do not make winning the
- Many communities and schools offer exercise or sports
programs-find out what is available for your child.