Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My scoliosis was discovered when I was 11 years old. My Mama was making me a dress and thought she cut the pattern wrong when she was unable to close the zipper. I was put into a Milwaukee brace 24/7. My curves were 65 and 35 degrees. I even wore body cast in the winter months in hopes of better correction. At the age of 15 I had to have surgery, 11 fusions in the thoracic region with placement of 2 Harrington rods; this was in 1974. In 1976 the rods were removed, things were stable at that time, I had no pain and I was released from my doctor. I had a wonderful doctor and do not blame him for anything. Well in 2012 I started having sacroiliac (SI) pain but didn"t think much about it. I got worse, after several x-rays and doctors, I still have severe scoliosis and have lost what correction I obtained with surgery. I have rheumatoid arthritis and spurs encroaching on my spine, osteoporosis, and lots of pain now. I am unable to work and have been told by my doctor that surgery is no longer an option for me as well as injections for the pain. So at this time I"m on pain medications and unable to work. Everyday household chores are impossible. Maybe one day there might be some new options to explore, but for now I take one day at a time.

Comment from: Katie Dafoe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I discovered that I had scoliosis when I went to the hospital (I am a car accident victim). I got a really bad whiplash. My neck and back were really sore. I went to the hospital, I got in right away. The doctor asked me if I had scoliosis. I never heard of it so I said no. At this point the doctor ordered x-rays. When I came back he informed me that I did in fact have scoliosis. I went to the hospital because I am in quite a bit of pain. I have to go to the doctor and have more x-rays done. I am currently looking for a chiropractor and I am wearing a back brace I bought from the pharmacy so I can walk around. I cannot currently perform daily routines.

Comment from: KBakes, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I'm a 16 year old female. When I was 11, I was diagnosed with scoliosis. They watched it for awhile, but soon My doctor suggested I go to my local hospital for an X-ray. They then sent me to the children's hospital. My local hospital sent me to the children's hospital. My curves were then diagnosed at 21 and 29. They had me in a brace that day. I wore my brace 20 out of 24 hours a day 7 days a week for two years. They were concerned I was going to need surgery. I was let out of my brace the summer before 9th grade. I've been out of it for almost 3 years now. I do experience back pain quite a bit. I've learned to work with it, I honestly felt alone when I had my brace, but I had my friend who had gotten the surgery to look too. And this year my best friend was diagnosed with it, and I met a girl on my volleyball team who wore braces and is getting surgery. It's good to know I can now be there for people who need it. And to know I wasn't alone, and I won't ever be.

Comment from: shannobrat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My scoliosis was discovered in a routine school check, I was 11. My mom took me to a specialist and they wanted 5,000 for a back brace, we then found a hospital. This is an excellent resource for people with scoliosis, and they help at no charge if you can't afford it. My curves started (I have two major, one upper and one lower) around 10 and 12 degrees at that time. They braced me, but as a teen I refused to wear it. It would have slowed the progression but not stopped or reversed, but if you are young wear it, it will prevent a lot of pain when you get older. They wanted to do surgery when I was 15 but said I could not have kids if I did, so I didn't. I have a 12, 10 and 1 year old, the last one was torture on my back. I have been on and off pain meds for 10 years and now being told that my curves or both over 65 degrees, one shoulder and hip higher than other. I was told that because it is still progressing at my age, 33, if I don't have fusion (75 to 90 %) of my spine, my ribs will eventually puncture my lungs and that's not a good thing. So I am thinking about getting the fusion done in January 2011 any advice from people that have had it done I would love to hear.

Comment from: Macd1982, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 12 during a routine checkup with my family doctor. I had an "S" curve and was sent to a specialist and fitted for a plastic "body cast" brace. I wore the brace for 23 hours a day for four years to prevent the curves from getting any worse. I am now 28 years old and have recently been having difficulty with back pain. I don't know if there is anything that can be done to relieve the pain short of having surgery. I'm hoping to get more information on this subject.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.