Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: Tandie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I started having pain when I was in the fifth grade and was aged 10, in 1996. I used to feel tired and breathing was slightly a challenge especially in the winter. At this time, I didn't notice the abnormality. My mom noticed it beginning 2004. I had x-rays taken and that`s when I got to know the problem was scoliosis. It worsens as one grows. I am now 28 years old and everyone can see the abnormality now. I can't wear heels for more than 2 days because I spend some days after experiencing back pain.

Comment from: Yellowcast74, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I was in the 7th grade when my scoliosis was detected during a routine school screening. My curvature was so bad that if I had not gotten surgery when I did (my spine was curved toward my chest) it would have affected my breathing which would have led to other health issues. I had to wear a body cast the entire summer of 88 in the south. It was removed right before I started high school but with that cast I still continue to live my life, like run track and hangout like teenagers do. I had a great support system, now today I have a 17 year old son who has been detected of having scoliosis. His is curvature is a little different from mine but when detected he was already at 37 degrees. They have put in a brace that he very seldom wears. I am not sure how this will affect him in his adulthood but since he wants to be hardheaded and not wear the brace there really isn't anything I can do. He does not have much time left to grow and once he stops growing however his curvature is how it is going to have to stay I think.

Comment from: whitewash1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I was recently diagnosed with scoliosis due to great pain, plus a neck injury due to work. I am a tower crane operator.

Comment from: Cyntana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I hurt myself while moving into a new house. I thought I strained my back and went to a chiropractor to get it worked on. The x-rays showed a curve in my lower spine, my spine is centered between my navel and left hip and a vertebra in my upper back has slipped halfway off of one below it, causing a great deal of pain in my rib cage, as well as the horrible pain in my lower back. That was four years ago, my doctor has yet to acknowledge anything except bulging discs in L4 - S1. He tells me I need to exercise; I told him it was extremely painful for me to twist and turn my upper body, and that walking makes my hips and back hurt. If I try to take his advice and walk, I wake the next morning unable to even roll out of bed. MRI have shown the presence of scoliosis, but no diagnosis as yet - four years and two MRIs later.

Comment from: Julie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My scoliosis was discovered when I was 11 years old. My Mama was making me a dress and thought she cut the pattern wrong when she was unable to close the zipper. I was put into a Milwaukee brace 24/7. My curves were 65 and 35 degrees. I even wore body cast in the winter months in hopes of better correction. At the age of 15 I had to have surgery, 11 fusions in the thoracic region with placement of 2 Harrington rods; this was in 1974. In 1976 the rods were removed, things were stable at that time, I had no pain and I was released from my doctor. I had a wonderful doctor and do not blame him for anything. Well in 2012 I started having sacroiliac (SI) pain but didn"t think much about it. I got worse, after several x-rays and doctors, I still have severe scoliosis and have lost what correction I obtained with surgery. I have rheumatoid arthritis and spurs encroaching on my spine, osteoporosis, and lots of pain now. I am unable to work and have been told by my doctor that surgery is no longer an option for me as well as injections for the pain. So at this time I"m on pain medications and unable to work. Everyday household chores are impossible. Maybe one day there might be some new options to explore, but for now I take one day at a time.

Comment from: tee, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 25

I"m a 66 year old male who handled freight and heavy lifting all my life. I do not know the degree of curvature in my back but it is bad. I not only have scoliosis but my spine is also twisted on the axis. I just returned from my second opinion doctor's appointment. They want to fuse my last vertebra to my pelvis and fuse my entire back to the T9 level; not a good option for an active person. Currently I deal with the pain with pain pills, but I"ve been told this will just get worse. Surgery will make me pretty much immobile with continuing back pain, so I don"t see much good from surgery, at least I can bend over and do routine things for now.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.