Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: jbfan1992, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My name is Tiffany. I have scoliosis. I was diagnosed my 6th grade year. When they found it my top curve was 52 degrees and my bottom curve was 60. I had to have emergency surgery. I couldn't do PE, or have a summer because I had my surgery July 24. I am not a junior in high school. I have a slipped disc due to this scoliosis because the rods are putting weight on my last vertebrae. I suggest that you have the surgery if it is bad enough where the doctor suggests it. It will help you out in the long run. I'm not gonna lie, it hurts like CRAP! I think that it was worth it. Before my surgery I thought I would just deal with the pain later in life, but I couldn't, anyways it wasn't my choice to make. My parents couldn't take seeing me in pain anymore. So they made me get the surgery. I don't regret it at all. It's a lot to take in, but it was worth it.

Published: December 27

My scoliosis was discovered just recently after going to the chiropractor for severe back pain. I am 59 years old and it is just very minor at the base of my spine. I wear a back brace 24/7 and do basic stretches and see my chiropractor for adjustments and sensory treatment. It is much better and he feels we can control it with monthly adjustments.

Comment from: LadyMeh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I'm 21 and have had a funny walk since I can remember. I've always felt that one shoulder tilted slightly downward, and felt the awkwardness of having one leg shorter than the other. I always disregarded it, until about two months ago my left side started to hurt. This included my leg, arms, and ribs. I recently went to the chiropractor and was told I have scoliosis. He thinks it to be trauma induced from a car accident when I was young, and I was not given proper treatment. The hopes are, with consistent adjustment and care, I can be relatively pain free. If you feel something off about your body and are too busy or worry you may be imagining it, just get it checked out anyways. Better to be wrong and get a clean bill of health than to let it go on and put yourself through unnecessary pain.

Comment from: demetria79, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I had surgery at 15. I didn't want to try the brace for 2 years! I spent two months in the hospital had a rod put in and a bone from my hip grafted in. I wore a cast from my chin to my hips for 6 months and a shorter one for four. Up until a year ago I felt fantastic! It might just be my age catching up with me but now I have some back pain. The kid thing is a myth! I have two! Thank god my 16 year old daughter has no problems! Truthfully, I would suggest surgery to anyone trying to make a decision!

Comment from: Kaitlyn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I am only 13. My scoliosis was detected the summer that I was 12. My doctor sent me to the orthopedic I usually go to. He told me that I'd be fine in a year. It's been almost 2 years since then. I started researching because I was having back and leg pain. I noticed my right shoulder, leg, arm, and hip are about 2 inches higher than the other. I started going to physical therapy, but all that did was make it all worse. I don't know what to do. We are probably going to go to another physical therapist, a family friend, and see what he has to say. I just want to know what the heck is wrong with me.

Comment from: rossk, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was 14 when I was diagnosed. My spine was curved at 62 degrees. One shoulder higher than the other. I had severe pain on my right side. I was immediately sent to one of the top surgeons. This was 25 years ago. Since then, I've had 3 sons now 12, 15 & 16. I had trouble carrying all of them and doctors said having them put great strain on my spine. I've since had another spinal operation 2 years ago on my lower spine. (Fusion and plate support) My 15 year old has now been diagnosed with scoliosis as well. Not sure the degree as we're now going through testing. It's visibly curved but hoping for the best.

Comment from: gonzo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

My scoliosis was detected by a friend when I was about 14 years, had an x-ray and was diagnosed with scoliosis and was told one leg is shorter than the other. I am a female 24 years now. I have terrible back pains sometimes. The doctor advised me to start swimming and other exercises but it's not helping much. My right shoulder blade is more raised than the left one. It's scary and I haven't got any further treatment so far.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.