Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: Kaitlyn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I am only 13. My scoliosis was detected the summer that I was 12. My doctor sent me to the orthopedic I usually go to. He told me that I'd be fine in a year. It's been almost 2 years since then. I started researching because I was having back and leg pain. I noticed my right shoulder, leg, arm, and hip are about 2 inches higher than the other. I started going to physical therapy, but all that did was make it all worse. I don't know what to do. We are probably going to go to another physical therapist, a family friend, and see what he has to say. I just want to know what the heck is wrong with me.

Comment from: rossk, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I was 14 when I was diagnosed. My spine was curved at 62 degrees. One shoulder higher than the other. I had severe pain on my right side. I was immediately sent to one of the top surgeons. This was 25 years ago. Since then, I've had 3 sons now 12, 15 & 16. I had trouble carrying all of them and doctors said having them put great strain on my spine. I've since had another spinal operation 2 years ago on my lower spine. (Fusion and plate support) My 15 year old has now been diagnosed with scoliosis as well. Not sure the degree as we're now going through testing. It's visibly curved but hoping for the best.

Comment from: gonzo, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

My scoliosis was detected by a friend when I was about 14 years, had an x-ray and was diagnosed with scoliosis and was told one leg is shorter than the other. I am a female 24 years now. I have terrible back pains sometimes. The doctor advised me to start swimming and other exercises but it's not helping much. My right shoulder blade is more raised than the left one. It's scary and I haven't got any further treatment so far.

Comment from: Emily, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

When I was about 7 I went to the doctor and they told me to touch my toes and noticed my left shoulder blade was a little higher up than the right. About a week later I had an x-ray and they diagnosed me with scoliosis. Now 9 years later my curvature has progressed a lot and in about a month I'm getting surgery for it where they put rods, hooks and screws in your back.

Comment from: kemac, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I believe I have had scoliosis since birth, back in the days when this wasn't diagnosed or treated. I am now 82 years old. The discomfort is increasing but I have found some relief in an OTC back brace but it is so large (10" to 12" deep) that I have trouble putting it on and it limits my torso range of motion. I live alone.

Comment from: Stace, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

Mine was discovered when I was 8. My mom was fitting me for a dress and she noticed that on shoulder was higher than the other. She was diagnosed with curvature of the spine. No action was taken. Now 30 years later I feel as if my back is curving more. It is a bit scary and very painful.

Comment from: Vellies, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

The school nurse examined me and then told my parents to take me to the doctor to check my back. He did some x-ray tests and confirmed it.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.