Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: dino, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Mine was detected in 1965 while trying on dresses-mine hung funny. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed. Surgery was next and done in 1966. He inserted two long stainless steel rods with lots of screws. He removed a piece of bone from my backside to even my shoulder bone and removed the rib from my lung. I spent one month on a Stryker bed, 6 months in bed with a full body cast and then 6 months with a full back brace. I live a full life turning 60 this year. Nothing stops me. I have no pain and never have had. I guess I had a good doctor and will have a good long life.

Comment from: cassie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

When I was 13 or 14 years old, my physical education teacher was screening everyone in the class for scoliosis, she asked everyone to bend over as if we were touching our toes, one by one she looked at our backs & when she walked over to where I was slouched over - she gently touched my back and whispered in my ear that I needed to see a doctor because she believed I had scoliosis. At that age I thought 'oh my god, does this mean I'm going to die?' I'm 37 years old now and I feel like I'm a 73 year old woman. The constant pain in my back doesn't slow me down though. I just keep on keepin' on!!!

Comment from: smucker22, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 14 years old. I wore a plastic brace that went under my chin down to the bottom of my hips. Now at the age of 46, I am having major difficulty with problems due to the scoliosis. I have tried physical therapy, pain meds, and chiropractic. Chiropractic helps when I have a nerve being pinched. Otherwise I am going through pain management and taking pain pills. No one has an answer to why I hurt so badly. I wish someone could help me; I am tired of the pain!!!

Comment from: jbfan1992, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

My name is Tiffany. I have scoliosis. I was diagnosed my 6th grade year. When they found it my top curve was 52 degrees and my bottom curve was 60. I had to have emergency surgery. I couldn't do PE, or have a summer because I had my surgery July 24. I am not a junior in high school. I have a slipped disc due to this scoliosis because the rods are putting weight on my last vertebrae. I suggest that you have the surgery if it is bad enough where the doctor suggests it. It will help you out in the long run. I'm not gonna lie, it hurts like CRAP! I think that it was worth it. Before my surgery I thought I would just deal with the pain later in life, but I couldn't, anyways it wasn't my choice to make. My parents couldn't take seeing me in pain anymore. So they made me get the surgery. I don't regret it at all. It's a lot to take in, but it was worth it.

Published: December 27

My scoliosis was discovered just recently after going to the chiropractor for severe back pain. I am 59 years old and it is just very minor at the base of my spine. I wear a back brace 24/7 and do basic stretches and see my chiropractor for adjustments and sensory treatment. It is much better and he feels we can control it with monthly adjustments.

Comment from: LadyMeh, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I'm 21 and have had a funny walk since I can remember. I've always felt that one shoulder tilted slightly downward, and felt the awkwardness of having one leg shorter than the other. I always disregarded it, until about two months ago my left side started to hurt. This included my leg, arms, and ribs. I recently went to the chiropractor and was told I have scoliosis. He thinks it to be trauma induced from a car accident when I was young, and I was not given proper treatment. The hopes are, with consistent adjustment and care, I can be relatively pain free. If you feel something off about your body and are too busy or worry you may be imagining it, just get it checked out anyways. Better to be wrong and get a clean bill of health than to let it go on and put yourself through unnecessary pain.

Comment from: demetria79, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

I had surgery at 15. I didn't want to try the brace for 2 years! I spent two months in the hospital had a rod put in and a bone from my hip grafted in. I wore a cast from my chin to my hips for 6 months and a shorter one for four. Up until a year ago I felt fantastic! It might just be my age catching up with me but now I have some back pain. The kid thing is a myth! I have two! Thank god my 16 year old daughter has no problems! Truthfully, I would suggest surgery to anyone trying to make a decision!

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.