Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: concerned mom, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

My son is 12 years old. He was just diagnosed with scoliosis a few days ago. Although the diagnosis was set to be mild, he will need to be closely watched and also have future X-rays to monitor this disease. We have not had any problems or concerns before knowing about it, but we are very aware now. His doctor told us not to worry much. (We are parents, that's what we do!) The cause of scoliosis is unknown, but we will definitely watch him more closely as he ages.

Comment from: christine, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis just today. I am really freaked out. My doctor said my right shoulder was higher than the left. I also had those school screening tests, but I don't know why they never figured it out. I really hope that it doesn't get worse since I am only a freshman now.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was getting back pain when standing for long periods of time. My doctor asked me to get an X-ray of my back and, after looking at the results, said I have mild scoliosis. My doctor said regular back exercises will help. I am going to check and find out which specific exercises will be helpful.

Comment from: Dave .c, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I played football for a long time and went to training one night and hurt my back. After going to my local doctor who sent me to have X-rays, he said that I had scoliosis. He said that I had the condition for some time -- maybe 20 years. I have been having massages and seeing a chiropractor for the last 15 years. Yesterday I was told I have structural scoliosis. Although there has been some improvement, I am still in pain.

Comment from: parissj1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I was diagnosed with Scoliosis during my 7th grade year. I was about 12 then. I was told to wear the brace but because I was too worried about being made fun of I didn't wear it. I ended up have surgery the next year. I am a 30 year old mother of 3 now and have good and bad days. I do have difficulty breathing, trouble with my clothes fitting properly and standing and sitting for long periods of time. Sometimes I feel so much pressure in my lower back and legs that I feel as if I am going to fall over. Not to mention the fact that my legs go numb a lot. I take it day by day and pray that none of my boys or my nieces inherit it. It's good to see that I am not alone!!!!

Comment from: Delwar, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 23

My 15 year old daughter told her mom the other night that the right side of her spine appeared depressed in comparison to the left side. She was taken in for an x-ray and was diagnosed with a case of Scoliosis.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

My scoliosis was detected when I was about 18 years of age, although my g.p said that I would have had it from birth. I have tried everything the hospital and g.p's have thrown at me and still no joy. I am now 54 and it is slowly getting worse with age. The hospital won't operate unless they really have to, so I think it's time to go back to my g.p and try and get me the operation. As the pain I now get is so painful that I just can't move and can last for days or weeks.

Comment from: flora1898, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

My scoliosis was picked up during a school examination, when I was 12 or 13. Unfortunately I was rather a prude and didn't want my mother seeing me when I was in the bath, so it wasn't picked up at home. I am pregnant now and wonder how the curve will affect labour.

Comment from: Karabear96, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I have been having back pain for about 9-12 months and I went to the doctor for another reason and told him I have been having pain. He told me to bend over and touch my toes. I have never been able to touch my toes. He put his hand on my spine and felt it. Then he said I had Scoliosis. Then he said to go get x-rays and go to the orthopedic doctor. Then he said I had bones of a 10 year old. I thought, I am a 10 year old stuck in a 14 year old body. Now I have a back brace. It seems to be helping.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.