Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: suzie71, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 31

hi i was just in formed that my 12 year old son has it i was told when he was 6 years old that he had a curve in his spin but they never did any thing about it and now it has gottin worse to the point that one shoulder is higher then the other and his cest bone on the left side over the heart is sticking out so much you can see it and has started have back pain about 4 months ago and agin nothing was ever done by his doctor the new doctor he has now found the scoliosis and it seems to be the worst form of it i'm so scared and i'm at a lost as to why the doctors let it get to this point.

Comment from: concerned mom, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

My son is 12 years old. He was just diagnosed with scoliosis a few days ago. Although the diagnosis was set to be mild, he will need to be closely watched and also have future X-rays to monitor this disease. We have not had any problems or concerns before knowing about it, but we are very aware now. His doctor told us not to worry much. (We are parents, that's what we do!) The cause of scoliosis is unknown, but we will definitely watch him more closely as he ages.

Comment from: christine, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis just today. I am really freaked out. My doctor said my right shoulder was higher than the left. I also had those school screening tests, but I don't know why they never figured it out. I really hope that it doesn't get worse since I am only a freshman now.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was getting back pain when standing for long periods of time. My doctor asked me to get an X-ray of my back and, after looking at the results, said I have mild scoliosis. My doctor said regular back exercises will help. I am going to check and find out which specific exercises will be helpful.

Comment from: Dave .c, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I played football for a long time and went to training one night and hurt my back. After going to my local doctor who sent me to have X-rays, he said that I had scoliosis. He said that I had the condition for some time -- maybe 20 years. I have been having massages and seeing a chiropractor for the last 15 years. Yesterday I was told I have structural scoliosis. Although there has been some improvement, I am still in pain.

Comment from: Ashley, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I'm 14 years old now and my scoliosis is on 3rd-2nd level. It started when I was 11 and I've had braces and used them at day time non stopping for the whole year. But I know that nearly all of you have used braces but it may have stopped your scoliosis from developing any further however it doesn't cure you and surgery isn't only option either. There is cure with exercises. When doing exercises regularly 2 times a day I feel improvements. But I'm still looking forward to other cures.

Comment from: parissj1, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I was diagnosed with Scoliosis during my 7th grade year. I was about 12 then. I was told to wear the brace but because I was too worried about being made fun of I didn't wear it. I ended up have surgery the next year. I am a 30 year old mother of 3 now and have good and bad days. I do have difficulty breathing, trouble with my clothes fitting properly and standing and sitting for long periods of time. Sometimes I feel so much pressure in my lower back and legs that I feel as if I am going to fall over. Not to mention the fact that my legs go numb a lot. I take it day by day and pray that none of my boys or my nieces inherit it. It's good to see that I am not alone!!!!

Comment from: Delwar, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: May 23

My 15 year old daughter told her mom the other night that the right side of her spine appeared depressed in comparison to the left side. She was taken in for an x-ray and was diagnosed with a case of Scoliosis.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.