Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

My scoliosis was detected when I was about 18 years of age, although my g.p said that I would have had it from birth. I have tried everything the hospital and g.p's have thrown at me and still no joy. I am now 54 and it is slowly getting worse with age. The hospital won't operate unless they really have to, so I think it's time to go back to my g.p and try and get me the operation. As the pain I now get is so painful that I just can't move and can last for days or weeks.

Comment from: flora1898, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

My scoliosis was picked up during a school examination, when I was 12 or 13. Unfortunately I was rather a prude and didn't want my mother seeing me when I was in the bath, so it wasn't picked up at home. I am pregnant now and wonder how the curve will affect labour.

Comment from: Karabear96, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 20

I have been having back pain for about 9-12 months and I went to the doctor for another reason and told him I have been having pain. He told me to bend over and touch my toes. I have never been able to touch my toes. He put his hand on my spine and felt it. Then he said I had Scoliosis. Then he said to go get x-rays and go to the orthopedic doctor. Then he said I had bones of a 10 year old. I thought, I am a 10 year old stuck in a 14 year old body. Now I have a back brace. It seems to be helping.

Published: April 11

My grandmother looked at my back as I was changing in a dressing room and she saw enough of my spine for her to be able to see that I had a curve. She knew about Scoliosis because she had it when she was my age. I ended up going to my doctor now and he said I had a double curve, I had a 'S' curved in my spine. He put me in a brace and 3 or 4 months later I ended up in surgery. While in surgery he saw that my bottom curve straightened out on its own once I was layed out on the table. So he only fused my top curve and 3 1/2 years later I was able to take my brace off for good. This past december I had a piece of my hardware removed and it's in a container in my room now.

Comment from: Dakotalex, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

My doctor said after weeks of pain. Had I ever been told I had scoliosis before! She's been my doctor for the last 6 or 7 years and said basically there's nothing to treat it, learn to live with it. I found out more about Scoliosis on your website. Think I need to change doctors asap.

Comment from: dino, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

Mine was detected in 1965 while trying on dresses-mine hung funny. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed. Surgery was next and done in 1966. He inserted two long stainless steel rods with lots of screws. He removed a piece of bone from my backside to even my shoulder bone and removed the rib from my lung. I spent one month on a Stryker bed, 6 months in bed with a full body cast and then 6 months with a full back brace. I live a full life turning 60 this year. Nothing stops me. I have no pain and never have had. I guess I had a good doctor and will have a good long life.

Comment from: cassie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

When I was 13 or 14 years old, my physical education teacher was screening everyone in the class for scoliosis, she asked everyone to bend over as if we were touching our toes, one by one she looked at our backs & when she walked over to where I was slouched over - she gently touched my back and whispered in my ear that I needed to see a doctor because she believed I had scoliosis. At that age I thought 'oh my god, does this mean I'm going to die?' I'm 37 years old now and I feel like I'm a 73 year old woman. The constant pain in my back doesn't slow me down though. I just keep on keepin' on!!!

Comment from: smucker22, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 14 years old. I wore a plastic brace that went under my chin down to the bottom of my hips. Now at the age of 46, I am having major difficulty with problems due to the scoliosis. I have tried physical therapy, pain meds, and chiropractic. Chiropractic helps when I have a nerve being pinched. Otherwise I am going through pain management and taking pain pills. No one has an answer to why I hurt so badly. I wish someone could help me; I am tired of the pain!!!

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.