Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: soccerstar3, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Hello! My name is Ellie and I am currently 13 years old. When I was 12, I went to my doctor concerning pain I had been having in my hip. I then told her about my sever upper back pain, so she had me bend over so she could look at my back. I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis, at only 13 degrees. A few months later during the school screening in 7th grade, my scoliosis was noticed again. I went back to my doctor, and this time she had me get an MRI because my severe upper back pain is abnormal. The MRI came back clear, so the cause to my scoliosis and back pain is unknown.

Comment from: Andrea, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

My name is Andrea 40, I was diagnosed with infantile idiopathic scoliosis at 2. I have had 2 spinal fusions at age 2 and 10. When I was 21 I decided to have and anterior and posterior fusion with rods. All was going well until I turned 30. I had a urinary tract infection that i let go untreated which attacked my rods causing major abbesses that ate away most of my thoracic cavity and was inches away from attacking my heart. Moral of my story when you're sick and need antibiotics take them (all of them) It's not worth another surgery and weeks upon weeks of I.V. antibiotic therapy.

Comment from: Elena2011, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 10

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was 9. At that time I came from Cuba without knowing the language and my parents were told I needed to wear a brace. However I panicked over the many changes of a new country such as the language barrier and did not want to have a brace. Now I am 60 and I have done yoga for several years, praying that I can live a few years longer with this crippling disease.

Comment from: Dr.kafel, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I'm a 17-year-old female. I was diagnosed with scoliosis six years ago. It's about 35-40. I refused to take the surgery. Instead, I do the exercises my doctor gave me. They're perfect. I really feel good when I do them (regularly), but my spine's never going to be normal, anyway. I don't worry about that too much.

Comment from: Have Faith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I am a 42-year-old female diagnosed with an “S” curve at age 12. I wore a back brace for five years. I wore it 23 hours a day – I got a one hour break for a shower. It was very hard being an adolescent going through dating/teen years. I was upset to read that girls are not wearing the back braces because of being scared of their friends and what they thought. I wore mine: period. No matter what, I went in every six months for X-rays, and once a year I had to be fitted for a new brace. I was blessed to have parents that took care of this medical condition. I would love to reach out to the girls who are having a hard time with this. I understand. I try to stay positive about it. I do not wear certain clothes because it does show one shoulder blade sticking out. But I could have a lot worse problems. I don't mean to make light of this. It is very hard to deal with as a teenager, but life goes by so fast looking back!

Comment from: piepurr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My scoliosis was detected by our family doctor. I had a check-up then because of a fever when he noticed the curve in my spinal column. He suggested that I go see a specialist. I had therapies with a PT, then eventually with a chiropractor but the curvature worsened until it reached to about 65 degrees. I decided to undergo surgery when I was 16 years old right after my high school graduation.

Comment from: emily, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm a 14-year-old girl and about four month ago, I was diagnosed with mild-to-severe scoliosis. I have a curve in my spine of 26, and it is getting a lot worse. I was prescribed to wear a brace for 18 hours a day, but I don't because I don't want my friends and my boyfriend to see it and make fun of me and think I'm weird. I'm really nervous I might have to get surgery.

Comment from: suzie71, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 31

hi i was just in formed that my 12 year old son has it i was told when he was 6 years old that he had a curve in his spin but they never did any thing about it and now it has gottin worse to the point that one shoulder is higher then the other and his cest bone on the left side over the heart is sticking out so much you can see it and has started have back pain about 4 months ago and agin nothing was ever done by his doctor the new doctor he has now found the scoliosis and it seems to be the worst form of it i'm so scared and i'm at a lost as to why the doctors let it get to this point.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.