Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: Have Faith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I am a 42-year-old female diagnosed with an “S” curve at age 12. I wore a back brace for five years. I wore it 23 hours a day – I got a one hour break for a shower. It was very hard being an adolescent going through dating/teen years. I was upset to read that girls are not wearing the back braces because of being scared of their friends and what they thought. I wore mine: period. No matter what, I went in every six months for X-rays, and once a year I had to be fitted for a new brace. I was blessed to have parents that took care of this medical condition. I would love to reach out to the girls who are having a hard time with this. I understand. I try to stay positive about it. I do not wear certain clothes because it does show one shoulder blade sticking out. But I could have a lot worse problems. I don't mean to make light of this. It is very hard to deal with as a teenager, but life goes by so fast looking back!

Comment from: piepurr, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

My scoliosis was detected by our family doctor. I had a check-up then because of a fever when he noticed the curve in my spinal column. He suggested that I go see a specialist. I had therapies with a PT, then eventually with a chiropractor but the curvature worsened until it reached to about 65 degrees. I decided to undergo surgery when I was 16 years old right after my high school graduation.

Comment from: emily, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I'm a 14-year-old girl and about four month ago, I was diagnosed with mild-to-severe scoliosis. I have a curve in my spine of 26, and it is getting a lot worse. I was prescribed to wear a brace for 18 hours a day, but I don't because I don't want my friends and my boyfriend to see it and make fun of me and think I'm weird. I'm really nervous I might have to get surgery.

Comment from: suzie71, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 31

hi i was just in formed that my 12 year old son has it i was told when he was 6 years old that he had a curve in his spin but they never did any thing about it and now it has gottin worse to the point that one shoulder is higher then the other and his cest bone on the left side over the heart is sticking out so much you can see it and has started have back pain about 4 months ago and agin nothing was ever done by his doctor the new doctor he has now found the scoliosis and it seems to be the worst form of it i'm so scared and i'm at a lost as to why the doctors let it get to this point.

Comment from: concerned mom, 7-12 Male (Patient) Published: November 11

My son is 12 years old. He was just diagnosed with scoliosis a few days ago. Although the diagnosis was set to be mild, he will need to be closely watched and also have future X-rays to monitor this disease. We have not had any problems or concerns before knowing about it, but we are very aware now. His doctor told us not to worry much. (We are parents, that's what we do!) The cause of scoliosis is unknown, but we will definitely watch him more closely as he ages.

Comment from: christine, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis just today. I am really freaked out. My doctor said my right shoulder was higher than the left. I also had those school screening tests, but I don't know why they never figured it out. I really hope that it doesn't get worse since I am only a freshman now.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

I was getting back pain when standing for long periods of time. My doctor asked me to get an X-ray of my back and, after looking at the results, said I have mild scoliosis. My doctor said regular back exercises will help. I am going to check and find out which specific exercises will be helpful.

Comment from: Dave .c, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I played football for a long time and went to training one night and hurt my back. After going to my local doctor who sent me to have X-rays, he said that I had scoliosis. He said that I had the condition for some time -- maybe 20 years. I have been having massages and seeing a chiropractor for the last 15 years. Yesterday I was told I have structural scoliosis. Although there has been some improvement, I am still in pain.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.