Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: Mrs.Valdez, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Hi I'm 19 years old, pregnant with my first baby! I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was around 9 years old. I was treated for a couple of months but then my parents stopped taking me to the doctor. I'm not sure why! During my pregnancy I haven't had much pain but now that is the last month it's getting a little worse I think it's normal! What I'm not sure of is why I have scoliosis if none of my family members have any back problems! I used to be a big athlete maybe that could of caused it.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 14, almost 15 years old, and I just started my freshman year of high school. I was diagnosed about two years ago with mildly severe scoliosis at a 40 degree curve. My school had done scoliosis screening in the sixth grade, and it was done by parent volunteers, so I don't think that was very helpful, and I think this could have been found earlier than it did. Once it was found, I was put in bracing just at night and given the option of surgery. I said, “I just want this out of me, so let's do the surgery!” My parents were nervous and said no, and now I will always have back problems. My right shoulder is higher than the left, so I only can wear T-shirts -- nothing like V-necks because they would fall off, and if you know what it's like being a high school freshman, you can understand my issue. Scoliosis makes me feel bad because I look awkward when I run and I've been called “special freak” for how I run and walk. It is very hurtful abuse that I will live with for the rest of my life, but I'm NOT disabled. I'm a normal person with a back disease that I couldn't control happening.

Comment from: chrissy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was diagnosed when I was 13. My Mom noticed my right shoulder was higher than my left. After x-rays the orthopedic group specialized in scoliosis said scoliosis was too late for bracing and just monitor it.The upper curve was 26 or 28 with tourqing and the lower curve was 16. I didn't have much back pain till I around 18-I'm now 22 and recently had increase in back pain and went to a specialist for help. He just said exercise. When I questioned medication he implied I should not seek narcotics. I was wondering about anti-inflammatory meds since I have been using Advil for the past year almost daily and concerned about over use of it. I am looking for a better choice but no luck. I left frustrated and offended. While on vacation just a few weeks later, driving for 7 hours caused intense pain, weakness, numbness in my right leg and low back. I used my Mom's mobic and grandma's vicodin (only 1\2 tab am and pm with mobic am and pm for the next week and got relief. It has since occurred again but not as severe. I am only 22 and in college full time, not a drug seeker but need relief. Driving kills my right leg and low back now. I went to someone who specializes in scoliosis but was not treated appropriately.

Comment from: Vicki, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 19

My scoliosis was detected by my pediatrician when I was 13 or 14 years old. It didn't really affect me much until the last year and a half (I am 50). My right lower back hurts when I sit for extended periods of time unless I put a small pillow behind my right lower back. My right shoulder is higher than the left. I haven't had any treatment for it and would like to know what types of treatment are available. I just want my back to feel better. I exercise and lift weights, and I notice that my right lower side is weaker than my left.

Published: July 12

I am a 55-year-old female who was diagnosed with scoliosis at the age of 12. I wore a Milwaukee brace for two years as prescribed by an orthopedic surgeon. I have suffered from muscular pain all of my life. Three years ago, my right shoulder began hurting so bad, I could not stand it. A few months into this pain, my right arm and hand started going numb and having bad spasms. Eventually, I could not use my right arm or hand. I went to a neurologist immediately and was diagnosed with spinal stenosis. I was put in the hospital immediately because the neurosurgeon said that I was in danger of my bowels and bladder shutting down. I had five vertebrae in my neck fused. I regained use of my right arm and hand, but since the surgery, my lower back and hip are killing me. I am in pain every single day. The neurosurgeon who did my surgery as well as my primary care doctor say it is due to my scoliosis. I never had this kind of pain before the surgery! Also my right arm and hand are going numb again. I take pain medication daily and had an epidural steroid shot last week. However, nothing stops the pain. I now walk with a limp and am so depressed I don't know what to do. I have no quality of life anymore. I am very skinny and weak. I am currently researching a new neurosurgeon. I will try anything to relieve this pain! I feel for anyone who is suffering from severe scoliosis. I had no idea when I was young that my body was going to fall apart like this!

Comment from: Mary in PA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

I was diagnosed in the late 60's when not much was known about scoliosis and I had no real trouble until I hit my mid to late 40's, now I have constant low back pain, hip pain, spine pain, and burning sensations in my spine and legs. I can't work any longer and was denied Social Security. I live on prescription meds just so I can function somewhat normally. I wish there was the close monitoring then like there is today.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.