Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: Xanthiera, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

My name is Gabrielle. I was diagnosed with scoliosis a few months ago. I am 15. We discovered it because I was having major pains in my lower back and my left leg. After having my doctor physically examine my back, she asked me to get an X-ray to confirm her theory. So far, there's nothing extreme, and I don't need to go through physical therapy or any of that.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Well, My names Monica. When I was in 6th grade there was a scoliosis screening at my school. The Nurses did not notice I had scoliosis, a few months later, I started feeling back pain, and I started getting a curve, so I went to the doctor and they diagnosed me with scoliosis. I was going to get a brace on. 6th months later my curve increased and it got really bad, so then they said I was going to have to have surgery. So I had surgery, and 3 years later, here I am typing this.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am 57 years old and was told I have scoliosis about a year ago, although I have had severe back pain (just on the right hand side) for about two years. I have been working retail for over 20 years now, so that I could stay home with my now, grown children. I used to be an active person and now, can hardly move; just to sneeze is a chore. I am so upset, I feel like a total failure. I am unemployed and need to find a job once again. I can only work retail now, that is all I know now, but not looking forward to all the pain I am going to be in.

Comment from: purplecreampuff, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

Last October 18, 2010, I finally got the result of my x-ray and my ortho doctor informed me that I have idiopathic scoliosis. He told me that it could be hereditary; I have an aunt and a cousin who also has scoliosis. I am so worried because my doctor informed me that my backbone will not return to its original form. I always suffer from back pain since high school. I am now 20 and a graduate of college and I am currently have a very stressing job.

Comment from: Freckles, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

My scoliosis was discovered when I was 13. I had some back pain and in rubbing my hand over my spine, noticed that it felt off. I asked a school friend what she thought, not knowing that this friend wore night braces for scoliosis. She told me to bend over in front of my mom, and if one shoulder was higher, to go to the doctor. It was, and I did. I had a 48 degree angle with a 22 degree angle above and a 24 degree angle below, a triple curve. The top and bottom curved back toward the center, which made it more difficult to detect. I had surgery and the 12 inch rod implanted. I suffered a lot of back pain in my 20s and early 30s (I'm 46 now), but I discovered through Tae Bo (believe it or not) that lots of exercise -- especially core or stomach strengthening exercises -- keeps me from having any pain.

Comment from: ontario gal, Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I just found out at age 32 that I have scoliosis. I was at a fair and did a free posture check. The person said that one shoulder was higher than the other, so I made an appointment for X-rays. I found out that I have a bend in my spine. I have been sent to a wellness center where I receive chiropractic work, certain exercise and evaluation reports. I will be back to normal in about a year! I have been having back pain for years. I hope this is the relief I seek!

Comment from: Tammy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I am a 28-year-old mother of two. I was just diagnosed with scoliosis yesterday. I am seeing a chiropractor. He believes that by repeated visits and realignments that he will be able to stop my pain, headaches, sinus problems, and straighten my spine. I would suggest this to anyone. I want to be able to play with my children.

Comment from: joanne, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 23

My son has just been diagnosed with scoliosis about five days ago. We are really confused at the moment. He is only 17, and there is no family history of the condition. My husband and I noticed he was standing funny, leaning to one side, about six months ago and one shoulder blade stuck out more than the other. He has a 52-degree shaped spine. The doctor said thankfully he will not grow much more, and he is not in any pain. He has to go back in six months. We are still none the wiser, and we were given no information about this condition, which would have been a lot of help.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.