Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: ontario gal, Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I just found out at age 32 that I have scoliosis. I was at a fair and did a free posture check. The person said that one shoulder was higher than the other, so I made an appointment for X-rays. I found out that I have a bend in my spine. I have been sent to a wellness center where I receive chiropractic work, certain exercise and evaluation reports. I will be back to normal in about a year! I have been having back pain for years. I hope this is the relief I seek!

Comment from: Tammy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I am a 28-year-old mother of two. I was just diagnosed with scoliosis yesterday. I am seeing a chiropractor. He believes that by repeated visits and realignments that he will be able to stop my pain, headaches, sinus problems, and straighten my spine. I would suggest this to anyone. I want to be able to play with my children.

Comment from: joanne, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 23

My son has just been diagnosed with scoliosis about five days ago. We are really confused at the moment. He is only 17, and there is no family history of the condition. My husband and I noticed he was standing funny, leaning to one side, about six months ago and one shoulder blade stuck out more than the other. He has a 52-degree shaped spine. The doctor said thankfully he will not grow much more, and he is not in any pain. He has to go back in six months. We are still none the wiser, and we were given no information about this condition, which would have been a lot of help.

Comment from: Mrs.Valdez, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Hi I'm 19 years old, pregnant with my first baby! I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was around 9 years old. I was treated for a couple of months but then my parents stopped taking me to the doctor. I'm not sure why! During my pregnancy I haven't had much pain but now that is the last month it's getting a little worse I think it's normal! What I'm not sure of is why I have scoliosis if none of my family members have any back problems! I used to be a big athlete maybe that could of caused it.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 14, almost 15 years old, and I just started my freshman year of high school. I was diagnosed about two years ago with mildly severe scoliosis at a 40 degree curve. My school had done scoliosis screening in the sixth grade, and it was done by parent volunteers, so I don't think that was very helpful, and I think this could have been found earlier than it did. Once it was found, I was put in bracing just at night and given the option of surgery. I said, “I just want this out of me, so let's do the surgery!” My parents were nervous and said no, and now I will always have back problems. My right shoulder is higher than the left, so I only can wear T-shirts -- nothing like V-necks because they would fall off, and if you know what it's like being a high school freshman, you can understand my issue. Scoliosis makes me feel bad because I look awkward when I run and I've been called “special freak” for how I run and walk. It is very hurtful abuse that I will live with for the rest of my life, but I'm NOT disabled. I'm a normal person with a back disease that I couldn't control happening.

Comment from: chrissy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I was diagnosed when I was 13. My Mom noticed my right shoulder was higher than my left. After x-rays the orthopedic group specialized in scoliosis said scoliosis was too late for bracing and just monitor it.The upper curve was 26 or 28 with tourqing and the lower curve was 16. I didn't have much back pain till I around 18-I'm now 22 and recently had increase in back pain and went to a specialist for help. He just said exercise. When I questioned medication he implied I should not seek narcotics. I was wondering about anti-inflammatory meds since I have been using Advil for the past year almost daily and concerned about over use of it. I am looking for a better choice but no luck. I left frustrated and offended. While on vacation just a few weeks later, driving for 7 hours caused intense pain, weakness, numbness in my right leg and low back. I used my Mom's mobic and grandma's vicodin (only 1\2 tab am and pm with mobic am and pm for the next week and got relief. It has since occurred again but not as severe. I am only 22 and in college full time, not a drug seeker but need relief. Driving kills my right leg and low back now. I went to someone who specializes in scoliosis but was not treated appropriately.

Comment from: Vicki, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 19

My scoliosis was detected by my pediatrician when I was 13 or 14 years old. It didn't really affect me much until the last year and a half (I am 50). My right lower back hurts when I sit for extended periods of time unless I put a small pillow behind my right lower back. My right shoulder is higher than the left. I haven't had any treatment for it and would like to know what types of treatment are available. I just want my back to feel better. I exercise and lift weights, and I notice that my right lower side is weaker than my left.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.