Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: purplecreampuff, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

Last October 18, 2010, I finally got the result of my x-ray and my ortho doctor informed me that I have idiopathic scoliosis. He told me that it could be hereditary; I have an aunt and a cousin who also has scoliosis. I am so worried because my doctor informed me that my backbone will not return to its original form. I always suffer from back pain since high school. I am now 20 and a graduate of college and I am currently have a very stressing job.

Comment from: Freckles, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

My scoliosis was discovered when I was 13. I had some back pain and in rubbing my hand over my spine, noticed that it felt off. I asked a school friend what she thought, not knowing that this friend wore night braces for scoliosis. She told me to bend over in front of my mom, and if one shoulder was higher, to go to the doctor. It was, and I did. I had a 48 degree angle with a 22 degree angle above and a 24 degree angle below, a triple curve. The top and bottom curved back toward the center, which made it more difficult to detect. I had surgery and the 12 inch rod implanted. I suffered a lot of back pain in my 20s and early 30s (I'm 46 now), but I discovered through Tae Bo (believe it or not) that lots of exercise -- especially core or stomach strengthening exercises -- keeps me from having any pain.

Comment from: ontario gal, Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I just found out at age 32 that I have scoliosis. I was at a fair and did a free posture check. The person said that one shoulder was higher than the other, so I made an appointment for X-rays. I found out that I have a bend in my spine. I have been sent to a wellness center where I receive chiropractic work, certain exercise and evaluation reports. I will be back to normal in about a year! I have been having back pain for years. I hope this is the relief I seek!

Comment from: Tammy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I am a 28-year-old mother of two. I was just diagnosed with scoliosis yesterday. I am seeing a chiropractor. He believes that by repeated visits and realignments that he will be able to stop my pain, headaches, sinus problems, and straighten my spine. I would suggest this to anyone. I want to be able to play with my children.

Comment from: joanne, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 23

My son has just been diagnosed with scoliosis about five days ago. We are really confused at the moment. He is only 17, and there is no family history of the condition. My husband and I noticed he was standing funny, leaning to one side, about six months ago and one shoulder blade stuck out more than the other. He has a 52-degree shaped spine. The doctor said thankfully he will not grow much more, and he is not in any pain. He has to go back in six months. We are still none the wiser, and we were given no information about this condition, which would have been a lot of help.

Comment from: Mrs.Valdez, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

Hi I'm 19 years old, pregnant with my first baby! I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was around 9 years old. I was treated for a couple of months but then my parents stopped taking me to the doctor. I'm not sure why! During my pregnancy I haven't had much pain but now that is the last month it's getting a little worse I think it's normal! What I'm not sure of is why I have scoliosis if none of my family members have any back problems! I used to be a big athlete maybe that could of caused it.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 14, almost 15 years old, and I just started my freshman year of high school. I was diagnosed about two years ago with mildly severe scoliosis at a 40 degree curve. My school had done scoliosis screening in the sixth grade, and it was done by parent volunteers, so I don't think that was very helpful, and I think this could have been found earlier than it did. Once it was found, I was put in bracing just at night and given the option of surgery. I said, “I just want this out of me, so let's do the surgery!” My parents were nervous and said no, and now I will always have back problems. My right shoulder is higher than the left, so I only can wear T-shirts -- nothing like V-necks because they would fall off, and if you know what it's like being a high school freshman, you can understand my issue. Scoliosis makes me feel bad because I look awkward when I run and I've been called “special freak” for how I run and walk. It is very hurtful abuse that I will live with for the rest of my life, but I'm NOT disabled. I'm a normal person with a back disease that I couldn't control happening.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.