Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: Newbie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I am 47 and have had back pain for decades. Was diagnosed with lower back arthritis a few years ago and keep it at bay with a strong core. Today, I was informed that I have developed scoliosis and arthritis in my mid back. Got hit head on 3 years ago by a wrong way driver and will have my 7th arm surgery in 2 weeks averaging one surgery every 5 months over the last 3 years. Not sure if the scoliosis is a fall out from the accident, but am thankful for this source to read similar accounts for later-years development of this condition. I wish the best for everyone. One day at a time. Take care all!

Comment from: G-Mom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I am a 66 year old woman. I have had scoliosis (as far as I know) since birth. All pics of me show my left side higher than my right. I only seemed to have a hip one side. Nothing was done when I was younger. During the years I have been told by physical therapists and doctors that I had scoliosis. I never knew it would cause pain. Two years ago I started having severe back pain in the lower and thoracic parts of my back. It has since progressed to my neck area. I have had 5 surgeries in the past 2 years and had 2 surgeries about 20 years ago. I am in constant pain in neck, thoracic and lower back. I go to therapy in a heated pool and it feels great but the pain returns as soon as I am done. I feel my best early in the AM, but it grows steadily worse as the day goes on. I have had surgeries, therapy, epidurals and injections. Nothing seems to help. If I go to an orthopedic surgeon - he wants to operate. Other doctors just want to prescribe meds. I take them sparingly, I've always resisted pain med, but at present time can't function without them. Two years ago I was a very active grandmother, now I have hardly any quality of life. At the present time - I don't know where to turn. I am depressed and stressed to the max over this.

Comment from: Lori, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Hello I found out that I had scoliosis when I was in like 3rd grade maybe 10 years old. I am 31 years old now but they kept telling me in school to go to the doctor and get checked well needless to say my mother waited too long so I started going to dr when I was about 14. When school kept calling I was very worried about this. So when I finally started going to doctor when I was 14 they said my scoliosis was too bad for a brace and that I need surgery before it s crushed my lungs, my spine and could maybe lead to death! So my mom took me to the Children's Hospital when I was 15. I had the surgery done. I think it healed me a lot I had to be in a body cast from breast to pelvic for about 8 weeks. I hated it and seems like it took forever to get back upon my feet, but it actually only took about 2-3 months to heal, but I wouldn't take it back for nothing. I am glad I had it done it saved my life. Now I don't know about that story about never having kids after the surgery but I have 2 kids 1 before surgery and 1 after they just said I would be on bed rest a lot during pregnancy but I was not I had a normal pregnancy for the most part, maybe a little more back pain than normal. My advice to anyone is that you have the surgery if needed so you won't have to go through what I did. My curve got over the 50 degree mark I want to say they told me closer to 75 degree, but surgery took me all the way down in the teens so it helped me breathe sooo much better!!

Comment from: Xanthiera, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

My name is Gabrielle. I was diagnosed with scoliosis a few months ago. I am 15. We discovered it because I was having major pains in my lower back and my left leg. After having my doctor physically examine my back, she asked me to get an X-ray to confirm her theory. So far, there's nothing extreme, and I don't need to go through physical therapy or any of that.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Well, My names Monica. When I was in 6th grade there was a scoliosis screening at my school. The Nurses did not notice I had scoliosis, a few months later, I started feeling back pain, and I started getting a curve, so I went to the doctor and they diagnosed me with scoliosis. I was going to get a brace on. 6th months later my curve increased and it got really bad, so then they said I was going to have to have surgery. So I had surgery, and 3 years later, here I am typing this.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am 57 years old and was told I have scoliosis about a year ago, although I have had severe back pain (just on the right hand side) for about two years. I have been working retail for over 20 years now, so that I could stay home with my now, grown children. I used to be an active person and now, can hardly move; just to sneeze is a chore. I am so upset, I feel like a total failure. I am unemployed and need to find a job once again. I can only work retail now, that is all I know now, but not looking forward to all the pain I am going to be in.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.