Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: Lori, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Hello I found out that I had scoliosis when I was in like 3rd grade maybe 10 years old. I am 31 years old now but they kept telling me in school to go to the doctor and get checked well needless to say my mother waited too long so I started going to dr when I was about 14. When school kept calling I was very worried about this. So when I finally started going to doctor when I was 14 they said my scoliosis was too bad for a brace and that I need surgery before it s crushed my lungs, my spine and could maybe lead to death! So my mom took me to the Children's Hospital when I was 15. I had the surgery done. I think it healed me a lot I had to be in a body cast from breast to pelvic for about 8 weeks. I hated it and seems like it took forever to get back upon my feet, but it actually only took about 2-3 months to heal, but I wouldn't take it back for nothing. I am glad I had it done it saved my life. Now I don't know about that story about never having kids after the surgery but I have 2 kids 1 before surgery and 1 after they just said I would be on bed rest a lot during pregnancy but I was not I had a normal pregnancy for the most part, maybe a little more back pain than normal. My advice to anyone is that you have the surgery if needed so you won't have to go through what I did. My curve got over the 50 degree mark I want to say they told me closer to 75 degree, but surgery took me all the way down in the teens so it helped me breathe sooo much better!!

Comment from: Xanthiera, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

My name is Gabrielle. I was diagnosed with scoliosis a few months ago. I am 15. We discovered it because I was having major pains in my lower back and my left leg. After having my doctor physically examine my back, she asked me to get an X-ray to confirm her theory. So far, there's nothing extreme, and I don't need to go through physical therapy or any of that.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 15

Well, My names Monica. When I was in 6th grade there was a scoliosis screening at my school. The Nurses did not notice I had scoliosis, a few months later, I started feeling back pain, and I started getting a curve, so I went to the doctor and they diagnosed me with scoliosis. I was going to get a brace on. 6th months later my curve increased and it got really bad, so then they said I was going to have to have surgery. So I had surgery, and 3 years later, here I am typing this.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I am 57 years old and was told I have scoliosis about a year ago, although I have had severe back pain (just on the right hand side) for about two years. I have been working retail for over 20 years now, so that I could stay home with my now, grown children. I used to be an active person and now, can hardly move; just to sneeze is a chore. I am so upset, I feel like a total failure. I am unemployed and need to find a job once again. I can only work retail now, that is all I know now, but not looking forward to all the pain I am going to be in.

Comment from: purplecreampuff, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 25

Last October 18, 2010, I finally got the result of my x-ray and my ortho doctor informed me that I have idiopathic scoliosis. He told me that it could be hereditary; I have an aunt and a cousin who also has scoliosis. I am so worried because my doctor informed me that my backbone will not return to its original form. I always suffer from back pain since high school. I am now 20 and a graduate of college and I am currently have a very stressing job.

Comment from: Freckles, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

My scoliosis was discovered when I was 13. I had some back pain and in rubbing my hand over my spine, noticed that it felt off. I asked a school friend what she thought, not knowing that this friend wore night braces for scoliosis. She told me to bend over in front of my mom, and if one shoulder was higher, to go to the doctor. It was, and I did. I had a 48 degree angle with a 22 degree angle above and a 24 degree angle below, a triple curve. The top and bottom curved back toward the center, which made it more difficult to detect. I had surgery and the 12 inch rod implanted. I suffered a lot of back pain in my 20s and early 30s (I'm 46 now), but I discovered through Tae Bo (believe it or not) that lots of exercise -- especially core or stomach strengthening exercises -- keeps me from having any pain.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.