Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: mrs hill, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 28 my and I got diagnosed in June 2010 by a pa. I have been to a chiropractor and he has looked at my back and x-rays and said my spine is curved at 35 to 40 degrees. Maybe more in thoritic part of my back so I have been to a family doctor and now for pain management they gave me cymbalta for pain and it's not working. They say it is severe but they have done nothing to help. I go numb in my legs and arms I can't sleep due to pain. I can't lift my 2 year old without dropping him. My arms just can't function at all. In the last two years my life has got worse.

Comment from: john, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 48, have probably been developing scoliosis for over a decade or more (thinking back that far my car seat was showing wear at a lean, though I stood straight and 15 years ago was bench pressing 300lbs). About 4 years ago I was in a bicycle accident and bashed a knee, broke at least a few ribs and maybe much worse- black and blue from neck to hip-but lacking medical care just limped home and healed over a few weeks, didn't even take aspirin. Over the next couple years my whole torso has twisted and now I have lost about 5 inches in height. Went to see a doctor at the VA and he looks at me and shrugs "scoliosis.... not much we can do." (funny enough he said except for my back I am in great health for my age- because I still ride a bike daily!)The pain is never severe but it's draining and I can't stand for more than a few minutes and it gets worse by the month. Just shoot me if I get any uglier, will ya?

Comment from: Newbie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I am 47 and have had back pain for decades. Was diagnosed with lower back arthritis a few years ago and keep it at bay with a strong core. Today, I was informed that I have developed scoliosis and arthritis in my mid back. Got hit head on 3 years ago by a wrong way driver and will have my 7th arm surgery in 2 weeks averaging one surgery every 5 months over the last 3 years. Not sure if the scoliosis is a fall out from the accident, but am thankful for this source to read similar accounts for later-years development of this condition. I wish the best for everyone. One day at a time. Take care all!

Comment from: G-Mom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I am a 66 year old woman. I have had scoliosis (as far as I know) since birth. All pics of me show my left side higher than my right. I only seemed to have a hip one side. Nothing was done when I was younger. During the years I have been told by physical therapists and doctors that I had scoliosis. I never knew it would cause pain. Two years ago I started having severe back pain in the lower and thoracic parts of my back. It has since progressed to my neck area. I have had 5 surgeries in the past 2 years and had 2 surgeries about 20 years ago. I am in constant pain in neck, thoracic and lower back. I go to therapy in a heated pool and it feels great but the pain returns as soon as I am done. I feel my best early in the AM, but it grows steadily worse as the day goes on. I have had surgeries, therapy, epidurals and injections. Nothing seems to help. If I go to an orthopedic surgeon - he wants to operate. Other doctors just want to prescribe meds. I take them sparingly, I've always resisted pain med, but at present time can't function without them. Two years ago I was a very active grandmother, now I have hardly any quality of life. At the present time - I don't know where to turn. I am depressed and stressed to the max over this.

Comment from: Lori, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Hello I found out that I had scoliosis when I was in like 3rd grade maybe 10 years old. I am 31 years old now but they kept telling me in school to go to the doctor and get checked well needless to say my mother waited too long so I started going to dr when I was about 14. When school kept calling I was very worried about this. So when I finally started going to doctor when I was 14 they said my scoliosis was too bad for a brace and that I need surgery before it s crushed my lungs, my spine and could maybe lead to death! So my mom took me to the Children's Hospital when I was 15. I had the surgery done. I think it healed me a lot I had to be in a body cast from breast to pelvic for about 8 weeks. I hated it and seems like it took forever to get back upon my feet, but it actually only took about 2-3 months to heal, but I wouldn't take it back for nothing. I am glad I had it done it saved my life. Now I don't know about that story about never having kids after the surgery but I have 2 kids 1 before surgery and 1 after they just said I would be on bed rest a lot during pregnancy but I was not I had a normal pregnancy for the most part, maybe a little more back pain than normal. My advice to anyone is that you have the surgery if needed so you won't have to go through what I did. My curve got over the 50 degree mark I want to say they told me closer to 75 degree, but surgery took me all the way down in the teens so it helped me breathe sooo much better!!

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.