Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: Katie Dafoe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I discovered that I had scoliosis when I went to the hospital (I am a car accident victim). I got a really bad whiplash. My neck and back were really sore. I went to the hospital, I got in right away. The doctor asked me if I had scoliosis. I never heard of it so I said no. At this point the doctor ordered x-rays. When I came back he informed me that I did in fact have scoliosis. I went to the hospital because I am in quite a bit of pain. I have to go to the doctor and have more x-rays done. I am currently looking for a chiropractor and I am wearing a back brace I bought from the pharmacy so I can walk around. I cannot currently perform daily routines.

Comment from: KBakes, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: June 12

I'm a 16 year old female. When I was 11, I was diagnosed with scoliosis. They watched it for awhile, but soon My doctor suggested I go to my local hospital for an X-ray. They then sent me to the children's hospital. My local hospital sent me to the children's hospital. My curves were then diagnosed at 21 and 29. They had me in a brace that day. I wore my brace 20 out of 24 hours a day 7 days a week for two years. They were concerned I was going to need surgery. I was let out of my brace the summer before 9th grade. I've been out of it for almost 3 years now. I do experience back pain quite a bit. I've learned to work with it, I honestly felt alone when I had my brace, but I had my friend who had gotten the surgery to look too. And this year my best friend was diagnosed with it, and I met a girl on my volleyball team who wore braces and is getting surgery. It's good to know I can now be there for people who need it. And to know I wasn't alone, and I won't ever be.

Comment from: shannobrat, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

My scoliosis was discovered in a routine school check, I was 11. My mom took me to a specialist and they wanted 5,000 for a back brace, we then found a hospital. This is an excellent resource for people with scoliosis, and they help at no charge if you can't afford it. My curves started (I have two major, one upper and one lower) around 10 and 12 degrees at that time. They braced me, but as a teen I refused to wear it. It would have slowed the progression but not stopped or reversed, but if you are young wear it, it will prevent a lot of pain when you get older. They wanted to do surgery when I was 15 but said I could not have kids if I did, so I didn't. I have a 12, 10 and 1 year old, the last one was torture on my back. I have been on and off pain meds for 10 years and now being told that my curves or both over 65 degrees, one shoulder and hip higher than other. I was told that because it is still progressing at my age, 33, if I don't have fusion (75 to 90 %) of my spine, my ribs will eventually puncture my lungs and that's not a good thing. So I am thinking about getting the fusion done in January 2011 any advice from people that have had it done I would love to hear.

Comment from: Macd1982, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 12 during a routine checkup with my family doctor. I had an "S" curve and was sent to a specialist and fitted for a plastic "body cast" brace. I wore the brace for 23 hours a day for four years to prevent the curves from getting any worse. I am now 28 years old and have recently been having difficulty with back pain. I don't know if there is anything that can be done to relieve the pain short of having surgery. I'm hoping to get more information on this subject.

Comment from: mrs hill, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 28 my and I got diagnosed in June 2010 by a pa. I have been to a chiropractor and he has looked at my back and x-rays and said my spine is curved at 35 to 40 degrees. Maybe more in thoritic part of my back so I have been to a family doctor and now for pain management they gave me cymbalta for pain and it's not working. They say it is severe but they have done nothing to help. I go numb in my legs and arms I can't sleep due to pain. I can't lift my 2 year old without dropping him. My arms just can't function at all. In the last two years my life has got worse.

Comment from: john, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 48, have probably been developing scoliosis for over a decade or more (thinking back that far my car seat was showing wear at a lean, though I stood straight and 15 years ago was bench pressing 300lbs). About 4 years ago I was in a bicycle accident and bashed a knee, broke at least a few ribs and maybe much worse- black and blue from neck to hip-but lacking medical care just limped home and healed over a few weeks, didn't even take aspirin. Over the next couple years my whole torso has twisted and now I have lost about 5 inches in height. Went to see a doctor at the VA and he looks at me and shrugs "scoliosis.... not much we can do." (funny enough he said except for my back I am in great health for my age- because I still ride a bike daily!)The pain is never severe but it's draining and I can't stand for more than a few minutes and it gets worse by the month. Just shoot me if I get any uglier, will ya?

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.