Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Diagnosis

How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?

Comment from: shannondarby91, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

My scoliosis was detected though an x-ray and the doctor sent me a letter in the mail telling me I had it.

Comment from: soccerstar3, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

Hello! My name is Ellie and I am currently 13 years old. When I was 12, I went to my doctor concerning pain I had been having in my hip. I then told her about my sever upper back pain, so she had me bend over so she could look at my back. I was diagnosed with mild scoliosis, at only 13 degrees. A few months later during the school screening in 7th grade, my scoliosis was noticed again. I went back to my doctor, and this time she had me get an MRI because my severe upper back pain is abnormal. The MRI came back clear, so the cause to my scoliosis and back pain is unknown.

Comment from: Macd1982, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I was diagnosed with scoliosis at age 12 during a routine checkup with my family doctor. I had an "S" curve and was sent to a specialist and fitted for a plastic "body cast" brace. I wore the brace for 23 hours a day for four years to prevent the curves from getting any worse. I am now 28 years old and have recently been having difficulty with back pain. I don't know if there is anything that can be done to relieve the pain short of having surgery. I'm hoping to get more information on this subject.

Comment from: mrs hill, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I am 28 my and I got diagnosed in June 2010 by a pa. I have been to a chiropractor and he has looked at my back and x-rays and said my spine is curved at 35 to 40 degrees. Maybe more in thoritic part of my back so I have been to a family doctor and now for pain management they gave me cymbalta for pain and it's not working. They say it is severe but they have done nothing to help. I go numb in my legs and arms I can't sleep due to pain. I can't lift my 2 year old without dropping him. My arms just can't function at all. In the last two years my life has got worse.

Comment from: john, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 48, have probably been developing scoliosis for over a decade or more (thinking back that far my car seat was showing wear at a lean, though I stood straight and 15 years ago was bench pressing 300lbs). About 4 years ago I was in a bicycle accident and bashed a knee, broke at least a few ribs and maybe much worse- black and blue from neck to hip-but lacking medical care just limped home and healed over a few weeks, didn't even take aspirin. Over the next couple years my whole torso has twisted and now I have lost about 5 inches in height. Went to see a doctor at the VA and he looks at me and shrugs "scoliosis.... not much we can do." (funny enough he said except for my back I am in great health for my age- because I still ride a bike daily!)The pain is never severe but it's draining and I can't stand for more than a few minutes and it gets worse by the month. Just shoot me if I get any uglier, will ya?

Comment from: Newbie, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 27

I am 47 and have had back pain for decades. Was diagnosed with lower back arthritis a few years ago and keep it at bay with a strong core. Today, I was informed that I have developed scoliosis and arthritis in my mid back. Got hit head on 3 years ago by a wrong way driver and will have my 7th arm surgery in 2 weeks averaging one surgery every 5 months over the last 3 years. Not sure if the scoliosis is a fall out from the accident, but am thankful for this source to read similar accounts for later-years development of this condition. I wish the best for everyone. One day at a time. Take care all!

Comment from: G-Mom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

I am a 66 year old woman. I have had scoliosis (as far as I know) since birth. All pics of me show my left side higher than my right. I only seemed to have a hip one side. Nothing was done when I was younger. During the years I have been told by physical therapists and doctors that I had scoliosis. I never knew it would cause pain. Two years ago I started having severe back pain in the lower and thoracic parts of my back. It has since progressed to my neck area. I have had 5 surgeries in the past 2 years and had 2 surgeries about 20 years ago. I am in constant pain in neck, thoracic and lower back. I go to therapy in a heated pool and it feels great but the pain returns as soon as I am done. I feel my best early in the AM, but it grows steadily worse as the day goes on. I have had surgeries, therapy, epidurals and injections. Nothing seems to help. If I go to an orthopedic surgeon - he wants to operate. Other doctors just want to prescribe meds. I take them sparingly, I've always resisted pain med, but at present time can't function without them. Two years ago I was a very active grandmother, now I have hardly any quality of life. At the present time - I don't know where to turn. I am depressed and stressed to the max over this.

Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.