Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Experiences

Please describe your experience with scoliosis.

Comment from: Sharpie, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 05

I just noticed my 17 year old son's right shoulder blade was bigger than the other and he has just been diagnosed with thoracic scoliosis. He has a funnel chest which I believe has caused the spine to bend at that area as there may not have been the room to stay straight. We are yet to see an orthopedic surgeon but he is adamant no operation, as it does not affect him and he can run and play sports with no limitations. It was x-rayed and found to be 37 percent. I wish I had noticed earlier as we might have been able to halt it somewhat.

Comment from: Leagen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was found to have scoliosis at age 15 but nothing was ever done. It stopped getting worse in my mid-20s and started again in my mid-40s and now it is so bad I cannot breathe well and am in constant horrible pain. I have 3 curves one being about a 90 degree one, yes, I said 90 degrees. I doubt I will live much longer because it continues to get worse and my breathing is going fast. I only get Medicare and state Medicaid so I have not seen a doctor in years. I just want the pain to go away.

Comment from: Washington Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

When I was 12, I was diagnosed with scoliosis and elected the surgery. I am now 46, have 3 grown children (2 of which were all natural child birth), I ride a motorcycle, swim, run, jump and play and hold a management financial position for the last 28 years. I have been able to accept the pains and limitations (Yoga is almost hilarious) and live a great life. I have a Harrington Rod and was in a body cast during puberty for over six months. It has been 34 years and I am so thankful that I had the surgery done by such amazing doctors. It seems the procedures are so much less invasive now, so just be assured that a diagnosis today is far from a life of disability.

Comment from: C Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am 53 years old and had chronic lower back pain for years and have gone to doctors trying to find out what is causing this pain. I have taken x-rays, but I still didn't know. Finally, I went to a new doctor, he had x-rays done on my back and told me that I had scoliosis. I am new and reading up of all these stories. I have numbness in 2 fingers on my left h4and, wonder if this is due to scoliosis.

Comment from: Birgitta, Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have had scoliosis since the age of 11. It was treated with Milwaukee brace for about 4 years. I still have 2 big curves in my back, I don't know the degrees. Now I am 64 years old, I have 5 children I have worked as a nurse my whole life. I also play bass guitar since the age of 14 and I still play in 2 bands. Most of the time I have no pain at all. I have struggled in a psychological way being ashamed of my awful back. The last 15 years I have practiced Hatha Yoga (almost every day) and it helps me to keep my back in a wonderful shape. My daughter and one of my grandchildren also have scoliosis. It's possible to live a good life with scoliosis.

Comment from: twistedb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

If scoliosis does not hurt or cause pain then why are most all older scoliosis patients in pain! I am in constant awful pain, but my doctor said scoliosis did not cause it. Other doctors told me to expect pain the rest of my life. I was 33 at my diagnosis, I am 50 now and totally disabled with sciatica, bursitis, arthritis, bulging discs, bone spurs and a stress fracture of my vertebrae. I was told by one doctor my scoliosis caused this, another said it didn't.

Comment from: Gimpy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I am 59 years old and was diagnosed with scoliosis 7 years ago. I had no problems as a child, I have a severe S curve in my spine, cannot walk normally without the assistance of a cane, have bladder incontinence, and am in pain constantly.

Scoliosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?
Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?