Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Experiences

Please describe your experience with scoliosis.

Comment from: Leagen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I was found to have scoliosis at age 15 but nothing was ever done. It stopped getting worse in my mid-20s and started again in my mid-40s and now it is so bad I cannot breathe well and am in constant horrible pain. I have 3 curves one being about a 90 degree one, yes, I said 90 degrees. I doubt I will live much longer because it continues to get worse and my breathing is going fast. I only get Medicare and state Medicaid so I have not seen a doctor in years. I just want the pain to go away.

Comment from: Washington Mom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

When I was 12, I was diagnosed with scoliosis and elected the surgery. I am now 46, have 3 grown children (2 of which were all natural child birth), I ride a motorcycle, swim, run, jump and play and hold a management financial position for the last 28 years. I have been able to accept the pains and limitations (Yoga is almost hilarious) and live a great life. I have a Harrington Rod and was in a body cast during puberty for over six months. It has been 34 years and I am so thankful that I had the surgery done by such amazing doctors. It seems the procedures are so much less invasive now, so just be assured that a diagnosis today is far from a life of disability.

Comment from: C Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I am 53 years old and had chronic lower back pain for years and have gone to doctors trying to find out what is causing this pain. I have taken x-rays, but I still didn't know. Finally, I went to a new doctor, he had x-rays done on my back and told me that I had scoliosis. I am new and reading up of all these stories. I have numbness in 2 fingers on my left h4and, wonder if this is due to scoliosis.

Comment from: Birgitta, Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I have had scoliosis since the age of 11. It was treated with Milwaukee brace for about 4 years. I still have 2 big curves in my back, I don't know the degrees. Now I am 64 years old, I have 5 children I have worked as a nurse my whole life. I also play bass guitar since the age of 14 and I still play in 2 bands. Most of the time I have no pain at all. I have struggled in a psychological way being ashamed of my awful back. The last 15 years I have practiced Hatha Yoga (almost every day) and it helps me to keep my back in a wonderful shape. My daughter and one of my grandchildren also have scoliosis. It's possible to live a good life with scoliosis.

Comment from: notagain, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis when she was between 4-6 years old. She was quite slender and having issues with chronic bronchitis and poor weight gain. Every time she almost reached 40 lb. she would have a bout of bronchitis. The doctor took a chest x-ray and found the scoliosis. She was treated with physical therapy, exercises and eventually a plastic brace. I would advise anyone with a family history of scoliosis to have their children be evaluated by an orthopedic doctor familiar with diagnosing it. Don"t wait for the school screening. On a side note, most doctors, nurses and screeners would not have noted my daughters curve.

Comment from: twistedb, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

If scoliosis does not hurt or cause pain then why are most all older scoliosis patients in pain! I am in constant awful pain, but my doctor said scoliosis did not cause it. Other doctors told me to expect pain the rest of my life. I was 33 at my diagnosis, I am 50 now and totally disabled with sciatica, bursitis, arthritis, bulging discs, bone spurs and a stress fracture of my vertebrae. I was told by one doctor my scoliosis caused this, another said it didn't.

Scoliosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?
Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?