Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Experiences

Please describe your experience with scoliosis.

Comment from: notagain, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 01

My daughter was diagnosed with scoliosis when she was between 4-6 years old. She was quite slender and having issues with chronic bronchitis and poor weight gain. Every time she almost reached 40 lb. she would have a bout of bronchitis. The doctor took a chest x-ray and found the scoliosis. She was treated with physical therapy, exercises and eventually a plastic brace. I would advise anyone with a family history of scoliosis to have their children be evaluated by an orthopedic doctor familiar with diagnosing it. Don"t wait for the school screening. On a side note, most doctors, nurses and screeners would not have noted my daughters curve.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: vls, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 17

I was diagnosed with severe S curve scoliosis when I was 11 years old. I wore a Milwaukee brace for six months and then had spinal fusion surgery with nine chips and two metal clips. I was bedridden for six months and had to relearn how to walk. I am happy to see that there are other methods of correction requiring less down time. I also am happy to report that I have lived and am living a very productive life. I'm a retired teacher and currently own a bar. I have six children and have no back pain.

Was this comment helpful?Yes
Comment from: CPDude666, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 28

I have Cerebral Palsy and have 90 degree curve. I have no pain and there is absolutely no danger of my heart lungs being affected.

Was this comment helpful?Yes

Patient Comments

Viewers share their comments

Scoliosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?
Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?

Patient Comments are not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Never delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice from your physician or other qualified health provider because of something you have read on MedicineNet. The opinions expressed in the comments section are of the author and the author alone. MedicineNet does not endorse any specific product, service or treatment.

Alert If you think you have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately.

Report Problems to the Food and Drug Administration

You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.

Health Solutions From Our Sponsors