Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Causes

What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

In my case, scoliosis is present in my family. I and 2 of my 4 brothers were all diagnosed as children; I was 10, my brothers were 9 or 10 when they were diagnosed. I was the only one who wore a brace, my brothers were monitored. I and in my cousin's family, 3 of 4 girls were diagnosed. All 3 of my cousins wore braces. I am the only one who had a spinal fusion. My paternal grandmother also had a small curve.

Comment from: Michellef, 35-44 Female Published: June 20

I was diagnosed with scoliosis when I was about 5 years old. (It was hereditary.) I wore a brace faithfully every day and night. However, the C curve turned into an S and continued to get worse. I had surgery when I was 12. They inserted what I believe was called a Harrington rod. It begins at the middle of my neck and ends just above my hips. They took pieces of my hip bone to fuse the rod to my spine, and I was able to wear just my brace for six months after surgery. I have not had any major issues since then. I'm very thankful my mother took care of it right away! I don't think I could handle that kind of surgery at my age now.

Scoliosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?
Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.