Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms

Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I was diagnosed with scoliosis in the 70s at age 10 or 11. I didn"t have any symptoms and was diagnosed after a minor car accident. I never experienced back pain as a child. The most obvious sign was one hip was much higher than the other, making skirts look like one side was shorter than the other. I also had a hump on the side of my back where my biggest curve is. After wearing the Milwaukee brace for 3 years I had a spinal fusion. My curves were greatly reduced; one hip is still higher than the other, but it is not obvious. I still have the hump on my back, but it is much smaller and most people probably wouldn"t notice it.

Comment from: stephanie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I have had scoliosis since 7th grade and wore a Boston back brace until I was in 11th grade. I have had two children and experienced back labor. Its been 13 years now and my back started to hurt so much these last few weeks. I have an S curve. Lately it feels like my ribs are squishing my heart and lungs. I have numbness in the left side my face. My chest gets tight and can't breathe; it's scary. The hump on my right side looks like it has doubled in size. I have muscle spasms. I have burning on the right side of my back. I don't know what to do. I don't have insurance and can't afford to go to the doctor. I've been dealing with bad pain too long.

Comment from: Caramel, 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 23

I have had scoliosis and spondylosis for an extended period for some 30 years it gets worst the older I get. Some of the symptoms I have are a lot of back pain, shoulder pain and sometimes cramping in legs a sort of burning sensations that filters down to the spine. It's very difficult to stand or walk for extended periods.

Scoliosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?
Scoliosis - Treatment Question: What was your scoliosis treatment?
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.