Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Treatment

What was your scoliosis treatment?

Comment from: MIKE D., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I was first diagnosed with scoliosis when I was in the ninth grade. I had a curvature of the fifth through ninth vertebrae. I wore an 80 lb. full body cast that started from the top of my head up and over my jaw down to my groin, and I wore this monstrosity for 25 months continuously. The spinal fusion took place in July 1965. I've noticed and feel it moving again. Good luck to anyone going through this.

Comment from: Happy scoli, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had scoliosis surgery, with fusion from T2 to L4, including 2 osteotomies and laminectomies at L2/L3 and L3/L4. That's a total of 15 vertebrae fused. Stainless steel rods were used, 3 rods, 2 long and one shorter one, and several sets of screws, a few hooks, etc. That was 7.5 years ago and all is well. I had a brilliant surgeon who corrected me from 52 degree major curve and two 30 degree minor curves, with lateral listhesis (stair stepping vertebrae) at L2/L3 and L3/L4 to a 12 degree overall curve. My rotation is gone. The surgery was very successful. It took me 2 to 3 years to fully recover.

Comment from: tshrop08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

In 2006 I was diagnosed with scoliosis. I have double major scoliosis which is two curves. It was hard to diagnose me because my hips were even because my two curves balanced each other out. My doctor misdiagnosed me and I finally was in so much pain I went to a specialist. I was then told I had a 35 degree top curve and a 65 degree bottom curve. She referred me to a hospital where I had to have emergency back surgery, I had 2 rods put in my back. After an 8 hour surgery I was in so much pain, and on so much pain medicine I still to this day can"t remember the first 3 days I was in the hospital. In 2012 at 18, I had to have the rods removed because I was in so much pain. I am still not back pain free and I won"t ever be. I've been told I need to "pain mange" but I don"t want to be on pain medicines for the rest of my life. I hate taking narcotics. But for the most part this has been a crazy experience, and I had to give up softball and any sport because I just can"t take the pain.

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

In 1994 at the age of 35 I had surgery to correct my progressive scoliosis, which was then at a degree of 98. The surgery consisted of 2 eight hour operations, 5 days apart, i.e. 16 hours of surgery! The first op was to do preparation which consisted of fusions and the second was to insert instrumentation, consisting of rods and screws. Bone was removed from my hip to fill the spaces between my vertebrae once my spine had been straightened. Unfortunately, it was only straightened to 65 degrees for fear of over correcting but at least the curve has now been stabilized and will not deteriorate any further. After 17 of having a trouble free back, I work out regularly at the gym lifting weights and am as fit as a fiddle, thanks to the successful surgery.

Comment from: carrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I went into a Milwaukee brace at age 6 for scoliosis; wore it 24/7 for ten years. I had spinal fusion with Harrington rods in 1976. My fusion did not heal properly.

Comment from: anagha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I was very happy to know my scoliosis was at an earlier stage. And my doctor preferred me to wear a brace. It was too big and horrible to wear. At last I went to another doctor and he gave me another kind of brace which was user friendly.

Comment from: Mags, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 64 and was diagnosed with scoliosis only two years ago despite attending doctors, physiotherapists and chiropractors for years because of pain in my neck, shoulders and back. Cooking is literally a pain as is doing any craft, or house work. I cannot carry a handbag for any length of time. There are times when the only relief is to lie flat on the floor which can be rather embarrassing if I am at a craft convention. I was introduced to the new, young osteopath who diagnosed my condition and assured me I was not a baby for feeling depressed about the pain. It's the first time anyone has said, "No wonder you are in pain, the amount of work your muscles are doing to keep you facing forward". I now see him once a month, and while it is not a panacea, it does give me relief for a reasonable period of time, so long as I am careful.

Scoliosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.