Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Treatment

What was your scoliosis treatment?

Comment from: tshrop08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

In 2006 I was diagnosed with scoliosis. I have double major scoliosis which is two curves. It was hard to diagnose me because my hips were even because my two curves balanced each other out. My doctor misdiagnosed me and I finally was in so much pain I went to a specialist. I was then told I had a 35 degree top curve and a 65 degree bottom curve. She referred me to a hospital where I had to have emergency back surgery, I had 2 rods put in my back. After an 8 hour surgery I was in so much pain, and on so much pain medicine I still to this day can"t remember the first 3 days I was in the hospital. In 2012 at 18, I had to have the rods removed because I was in so much pain. I am still not back pain free and I won"t ever be. I've been told I need to "pain mange" but I don"t want to be on pain medicines for the rest of my life. I hate taking narcotics. But for the most part this has been a crazy experience, and I had to give up softball and any sport because I just can"t take the pain.

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

In 1994 at the age of 35 I had surgery to correct my progressive scoliosis, which was then at a degree of 98. The surgery consisted of 2 eight hour operations, 5 days apart, i.e. 16 hours of surgery! The first op was to do preparation which consisted of fusions and the second was to insert instrumentation, consisting of rods and screws. Bone was removed from my hip to fill the spaces between my vertebrae once my spine had been straightened. Unfortunately, it was only straightened to 65 degrees for fear of over correcting but at least the curve has now been stabilized and will not deteriorate any further. After 17 of having a trouble free back, I work out regularly at the gym lifting weights and am as fit as a fiddle, thanks to the successful surgery.

Comment from: Mags, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 64 and was diagnosed with scoliosis only two years ago despite attending doctors, physiotherapists and chiropractors for years because of pain in my neck, shoulders and back. Cooking is literally a pain as is doing any craft, or house work. I cannot carry a handbag for any length of time. There are times when the only relief is to lie flat on the floor which can be rather embarrassing if I am at a craft convention. I was introduced to the new, young osteopath who diagnosed my condition and assured me I was not a baby for feeling depressed about the pain. It's the first time anyone has said, "No wonder you are in pain, the amount of work your muscles are doing to keep you facing forward". I now see him once a month, and while it is not a panacea, it does give me relief for a reasonable period of time, so long as I am careful.

Comment from: Mina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was suffering from Scoliosis 35 degree, but I started swimming, drinking milk and using calcium foods. My Scoliosis has changed to 20 degree now, it shows swimming and drinking milk was useful for this disease.

Comment from: shortstack, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 13

I was 14 when I was diagnosed with scoliosis. My grade 8 teacher called my parents and suggested I get a check up. At the doctors we found out that I had a 44 degree curve in my upper back. We met with a specialist and he said he wanted to keep an eye on it. By the time I reached high school my curve had progressed to over 50 degrees. The surgeon decided he wanted to fix it surgically since it had progressed so quickly in such a small time frame. I had been on a waiting list until my third year of high school. I finally had the surgery a month before my 17th birthday. I was extremely nervous, but I honestly think it was the best decision I made. I feel so much better and I am so much more confident because I look better. It's been 8 months and I do not regret the choice I made to have the scoliosis correction surgery.

Comment from: mjbengal66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I am 47 years old and had surgery for scoliosis when I was 14. I wore a brace for 2 years before the surgery. I have several rods in my back and I was in a body cast for 9 months. Today I have chronic lower back pain and I take painkillers. I use a wheelchair most of the time. I can't walk very far without experiencing a lot of pain and back spasms. I'm glad I had the surgery when I was younger. I felt great in my 20s and 30s. After the age of 40, my symptoms got much worse.

Scoliosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.