Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Treatment

What was your scoliosis treatment?

Comment from: Connie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was tested for SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth) about two years ago. I have the methane gas type. I tried the SIBO diet without much success, herbal medicines and then 2 antibiotics which I had to discontinue due to an allergic reaction. From morning and throughout the night I let out gas, mainly through opening my mouth and just letting it expel. Sometimes I pass rectal gas but not often. It keeps me awake for hours at night. I have IBS (irritable bowel syndrome), constipation type and GERD. I have given up taking anything, nothing seems to work. I also developed Dercum's disease along the way. I am sure there is some connection. I hope they find a cure.

Comment from: ihurts, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I had ingrown toe nail surgery 7 weeks ago. My toe is so painful I haven't been able to wear a shoe since. The top of my toe is beet red and blistered. I have soaked, use creams and ointments, gone back to the doctor who cut into it again to see if there was anything foreign. When the stabbing pains hit, it feels like it goes clear to the bone.

Comment from: MIKE D., 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 22

I was first diagnosed with scoliosis when I was in the ninth grade. I had a curvature of the fifth through ninth vertebrae. I wore an 80 lb. full body cast that started from the top of my head up and over my jaw down to my groin, and I wore this monstrosity for 25 months continuously. The spinal fusion took place in July 1965. I've noticed and feel it moving again. Good luck to anyone going through this.

Comment from: Happy scoli, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 05

I had scoliosis surgery, with fusion from T2 to L4, including 2 osteotomies and laminectomies at L2/L3 and L3/L4. That's a total of 15 vertebrae fused. Stainless steel rods were used, 3 rods, 2 long and one shorter one, and several sets of screws, a few hooks, etc. That was 7.5 years ago and all is well. I had a brilliant surgeon who corrected me from 52 degree major curve and two 30 degree minor curves, with lateral listhesis (stair stepping vertebrae) at L2/L3 and L3/L4 to a 12 degree overall curve. My rotation is gone. The surgery was very successful. It took me 2 to 3 years to fully recover.

Comment from: tshrop08, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

In 2006 I was diagnosed with scoliosis. I have double major scoliosis which is two curves. It was hard to diagnose me because my hips were even because my two curves balanced each other out. My doctor misdiagnosed me and I finally was in so much pain I went to a specialist. I was then told I had a 35 degree top curve and a 65 degree bottom curve. She referred me to a hospital where I had to have emergency back surgery, I had 2 rods put in my back. After an 8 hour surgery I was in so much pain, and on so much pain medicine I still to this day can"t remember the first 3 days I was in the hospital. In 2012 at 18, I had to have the rods removed because I was in so much pain. I am still not back pain free and I won"t ever be. I've been told I need to "pain mange" but I don"t want to be on pain medicines for the rest of my life. I hate taking narcotics. But for the most part this has been a crazy experience, and I had to give up softball and any sport because I just can"t take the pain.

Comment from: buckeye235, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I stopped drinking over 30 days ago. I experienced mild delirium tremens and a lot of anxiety for a week or more. I drank upwards of 24 beer daily. Sometimes drinking rum straight with ice as a chaser. I did this for 16 years nonstop not counting the on and off heavy drinking since the age of 14. I am currently going on 57.

Scoliosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.