Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Treatment

What was your scoliosis treatment?

Comment from: Ggirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I have scoliosis which I first discovered at the age of 14. I have had no treatment, but as I get older, it is getting worse. What helps me more than anything is going to the pool and exercising in deep water. I wear a flotation belt and let my legs hang down in deep water. I find as long as I go to the pool I can function pretty well and my pain is minimal. I wish I could tell you exactly what percentage my curve is. All I know, is the doctors are shocked when they see it on an x-ray.

Comment from: lindilou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had surgery in 1958 at Stanford University for my scoliosis. They took bone from my shins and fused it to my spine. I was in a body cast for two month (totally immobile) and then in a walking cast for 4 months. No rods or metal. It has lasted 54 years and now I find out that my lower spine has started to curve.

Comment from: Dudet 3.9, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I am 16 now but I was diagnosed with scoliosis at 12. It was first at 11 degrees and one year later became 13 degrees. My doctor told me I was fine although I have my right hip sticking out. I was told just to practice sitting up straight and not adding to much pressure to my back such as lifting heavy objects.

Comment from: judgejudy, 65-74 Female Published: July 18

1957 I had an operation for scoliosis. They took bone from the front of my leg and put it in my spine. I don't know if there was any metal used.

Comment from: snookies, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Hi my name is Atlanta and I was told I had scoliosis in Jan 2011 and was already at a degree of 48.3. I have just had an MRI scan as I have to have the spinal operation on the 21st September as my curve is now a lot worse nearer 65 will let u know how it goes. I am 13 years of age.

Published: July 25

For my scoliosis surgery in 2010 they inserted rods and screws and the surgery was over 6 hours.

Scoliosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.