Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Treatment

What was your scoliosis treatment?

Comment from: candystrip32, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

Hi, my name is Kathryn Sims I am a candidate for Marfan's Syndrome/scoliosis. Which I am in my second stage of scoliosis. Recently, I just found out that I carried disease when I was at the age of 13. I didn't have any symptoms until I got in my 20's. Now, at age 48 I have all the signs and symptoms. I have been fighting for my disability since 1997. And still fighting for it up until 2011. I get so angry at times because no one seems to understand what great pain I am in. I have no insurance and can't get any money for lack of work. The pain is unbearable. And it keeps me from working. I have a lawyer right now I am just waiting on a court date. Which now, I have been denied 5 times threw Administrative Law. I have been through several doctors who has seen how my back has form into curvature of the spine meaning scoliosis which is moderate right now. Any suggestions will greatly be helpful. I am a voice advocate which I want the world to know about this disease. Too many people don't know about this disease. Although, there is no cure. You can still be tested at the Mayo Clinic. Thanks for listening. I don't know what us to do at this point. I need help is there anybody out there. Please respond.

Comment from: mjbengal66, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

I am 47 years old and had surgery for scoliosis when I was 14. I wore a brace for 2 years before the surgery. I have several rods in my back and I was in a body cast for 9 months. Today I have chronic lower back pain and I take painkillers. I use a wheelchair most of the time. I can't walk very far without experiencing a lot of pain and back spasms. I'm glad I had the surgery when I was younger. I felt great in my 20s and 30s. After the age of 40, my symptoms got much worse.

Comment from: selvi1209, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I'm 17 years old and last year around my birthday I started having acute pain all over my body. I went to my family doctor he just told me that I had bone inflammations at my rib cage and gave me medications for a three months long treatment. Three months later the pain was still acute and I ended up with have difficulties to walk and went to see a new doctor. He told me that I had fluid accumulation in my left knee and that I had to have injections done for the following three weeks, which I did. In the end of those weeks I had 15 injections done in all. I went to see a new doctor and he diagnosed me with osteopenia and scoliosis and that they were the cause of everything that I have been suffering from. Now all I can hope of is that my conditions improve enough to help me take my school finals.

Comment from: Cat, Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I was in third grade when I was at a check up at my doctor for my asthma and he noticed a curve in my spine. I then went to the Shriners and they diagnosed me with about a 15 degree curve at the top of my spine between my shoulder blades. I started wearing a night time brace in fifth grade to correct my curve. I've also had 4 MRIs up to this point because I have a syrinx (pocket of liquid) in my spine and they monitor it to make sure it isn't causing my scoliosis and wouldn't have to be removed because it could cause serious nerve damage. I'm now 15 and my spine is at about a 48 degree curve but don't ever feel back pain so they are thinking of not doing the surgery since I'm almost done growing and he said the surgery would mostly be to fix aesthetics but the only noticeable thing is my shoulder blade that slightly sticks out and my shoulders tilted. I will only wear my brace for 6 more months and then go for another MRI but for now all is well. I also dove for 8 years starting in third grade and they said that all the exercise would help a lot.

Comment from: Rachel Lynn, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: January 14

I was diagnosed with scoliosis around the age of 9. It progressed rapidly and I am now 14 and wearing a back brace at night. My curve degree is about 35-40, but might be more since my last visit was 3 months ago. I have had some really bad back pain around the area where my curve is, and I am getting it checked out soon. I like to read about the condition I have and get information on ways to relieve my pain, and I think this site definitely helped me out.

Comment from: Ggirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I have scoliosis which I first discovered at the age of 14. I have had no treatment, but as I get older, it is getting worse. What helps me more than anything is going to the pool and exercising in deep water. I wear a flotation belt and let my legs hang down in deep water. I find as long as I go to the pool I can function pretty well and my pain is minimal. I wish I could tell you exactly what percentage my curve is. All I know, is the doctors are shocked when they see it on an x-ray.

Scoliosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.