Patient Comments: Scoliosis - Treatment

What was your scoliosis treatment?

Comment from: marie, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 24

I believe you can lower your cholesterol without medication, it is safer for your health.

Comment from: B. Moloi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I count myself lucky because my mom noticed that spine curve when I was ten. She tried to get help for my scoliosis and I was referred to a hospital in 1977. Fortunately I was told that my spine will never get worse and then I was a tennis, basketball and soccer player at school. I never had problems, but now I have this nerve that gives me problem. But I still believe I will get help because my left foot has this weak blood circulation but thankfully I am still feeling strong and just started with the treatment with which I feel better already. One other thing, I was never operated but I went through myelogram.

Comment from: ladyrebel, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

My doctor sent me to the hospital, and they will draw blood every week for a month and then assess where we are, and if my blood count is down. I have polycythemia and my body is making too many red blood cells. Yesterday, they could not draw blood because my count was too low. The blood count had to be over 16, mine was 15.8.

Comment from: Lyn, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

In 1994 at the age of 35 I had surgery to correct my progressive scoliosis, which was then at a degree of 98. The surgery consisted of 2 eight hour operations, 5 days apart, i.e. 16 hours of surgery! The first op was to do preparation which consisted of fusions and the second was to insert instrumentation, consisting of rods and screws. Bone was removed from my hip to fill the spaces between my vertebrae once my spine had been straightened. Unfortunately, it was only straightened to 65 degrees for fear of over correcting but at least the curve has now been stabilized and will not deteriorate any further. After 17 of having a trouble free back, I work out regularly at the gym lifting weights and am as fit as a fiddle, thanks to the successful surgery.

Comment from: carrie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 08

I went into a Milwaukee brace at age 6 for scoliosis; wore it 24/7 for ten years. I had spinal fusion with Harrington rods in 1976. My fusion did not heal properly.

Comment from: anagha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 03

I was very happy to know my scoliosis was at an earlier stage. And my doctor preferred me to wear a brace. It was too big and horrible to wear. At last I went to another doctor and he gave me another kind of brace which was user friendly.

Comment from: Mags, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 02

I am 64 and was diagnosed with scoliosis only two years ago despite attending doctors, physiotherapists and chiropractors for years because of pain in my neck, shoulders and back. Cooking is literally a pain as is doing any craft, or house work. I cannot carry a handbag for any length of time. There are times when the only relief is to lie flat on the floor which can be rather embarrassing if I am at a craft convention. I was introduced to the new, young osteopath who diagnosed my condition and assured me I was not a baby for feeling depressed about the pain. It's the first time anyone has said, "No wonder you are in pain, the amount of work your muscles are doing to keep you facing forward". I now see him once a month, and while it is not a panacea, it does give me relief for a reasonable period of time, so long as I am careful.

Comment from: Mina, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

I was suffering from Scoliosis 35 degree, but I started swimming, drinking milk and using calcium foods. My Scoliosis has changed to 20 degree now, it shows swimming and drinking milk was useful for this disease.

Scoliosis - Diagnosis Question: How was your scoliosis detected and diagnosed?
Scoliosis - Signs and Symptoms Question: Describe the signs and symptoms associated with scoliosis in you or your child.
Scoliosis - Causes Question: What do you suspect the cause of scoliosis was in you or your child?
Scoliosis - Experiences Question: Please describe your experience with scoliosis.