Patient Comments: Scleritis - Treatment

What treatment(s) or medication(s) have you received for your scleritis?

Comment from: Smitty5, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 24

Over 2 years ago I was diagnosed with scleritis. I first saw my ophthalmologist and she referred me to a cornea specialist. He gave me high dose prednisone. I also have rheumatoid arthritis and uncontrolled diabetes. Last year I was diagnosed with breast cancer. Every time I have very painful flare up the specialist examines my eyes and prescribes the prednisone. This has been going on for more than 2 years with only temporary relief. I'm concerned for the consequences perhaps it being the wrong treatment.

Comment from: Mariner, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I had scleritis, twice, four years ago. It was treated with ocular prednisone. Three months after that I nearly died from pericarditis that turned into cardiac tamponade. That is when they discovered I had lupus, which explained the scleritis and many other things I had had over 10 years. While my diagnosis was late in life, after seeing a specialist, it was discovered that I probably had it since I was 21, but it had never been diagnosed. I am on a lot of lupus medications (azathioprine, Plaquenil, methotrexate and prednisone). I have not had another attach of scleritis since taking these medications.

Comment from: Maya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 21

I am suffering from scleritis for the past 20 years. I have consulted many famous doctors but no result.

Scleritis - Symptoms Question: Describe your signs and symptoms of scleritis.
Scleritis - Risk Factors Question: Do you have an autoimmune disease that increases your risk of scleritis? Please share your experience.
Scleritis - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of scleritis.