Patient Comments: Scleritis - Risk Factors

Do you have an autoimmune disease that increases your risk of scleritis? Please share your experience.

Comment from: Findingacure, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have celiac disease with many symptoms. In the beginning I would not listen to my doctor to go gluten free. I was getting scleritis and relapsing polychondritis every other week. The eye pain was so severe that I decided to go gluten free. No more scleritis or polychondritis and my C-reactive protein was normal again! However, when I get cross contamination of gluten when eating out I get scleritis again. I had to get a cortisone shot in my eye for the last time. But at least if I eat at home, free of gluten the scleritis and relapsing polychondritis stays away.

Comment from: gardengal, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

I developed scleritis post wedge resection of my lower eyelid to remove a small tumor. We have treated this aggressively with high dose prednisone eye drops and ibuprofen. It almost cleared up, prednisone drops later decreased, it came back. Back up to 4 times per day eye drops, tapered down and off; after 12 weeks back on the eye drops. I have been off for 8 days and now the scleritis is back. I am so frustrated with the tearing, the redness and the constant feeling of irritation in that eye. I feel like I am never going to get rid of this unsightly problem.

Comment from: Dewbooks, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have had scleritis for over four months now. I also have degenerative arthritis; I have also had a knee replacement (2008). I have continuous joint pain and do not find much relief. I have been in treatment and recently have lost my insurance and have not seen my doctor since May. The scleritis in my left eye will not go away no matter the treatment; I still use erithromycin optic and optical prednisone. I also take a regimen of ibuprofen, 400 mg three times a day.

Scleritis - Symptoms Question: Describe your signs and symptoms of scleritis.
Scleritis - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of scleritis.
Scleritis - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) or medication(s) have you received for your scleritis?