Patient Comments: Scleritis - Symptoms

Describe your signs and symptoms of scleritis.

Comment from: Elena, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have both bilateral scleritis and rheumatoid arthritis which came about the same time, 1.5 years ago. I am currently on both methotrexate and low dose prednisone and my arthritis is mainly just in the feet but my scleritis is not responding well to treatment. I am now having problems reading, pain, and experience ocular dryness, as well as some photophobia. My concern is what side effects I will get when I have to go on something stronger like Humira or Remicade. I would love to know if anyone has been successful in halting their scleritis symptoms.

Comment from: TP, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

The white of my left eye is red all of the time. About a week before my period, the scleritis gets much worse. Eye drops give short term relief.

Comment from: EILEEN, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

My rheumatologist advised me the latest labs show my rheumatoid arthritis is under good control. However, extreme burning, painful, dry eye has been getting worse over the last year. I was sent to an ENT today and I refused to have a lip biopsy to determine if I have Sjogren's syndrome, as the procedure can result in permanent numbness of the lip in 10% of the patients. I have been referred a third time out to an eye specialist to take another look at my eyes. Scleritis makes sense. Dose of prednisone 10mg is not helping. I've been off methotrexate for several weeks. This is frustrating. I cannot use my eyes when the pain gets so bad. I have to close them to lessen some of the irritation and that's not how I want to live my life.

Comment from: Sabiroon, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 19

My mother has been suffering from scleritis for the past two months. We are giving loteprednol suspension and nepafenac eye drops, ofloxacin ophthalmic ointment along with all termed pain killers.

Scleritis - Risk Factors Question: Do you have an autoimmune disease that increases your risk of scleritis? Please share your experience.
Scleritis - Diagnosis Question: Discuss the events that led to a diagnosis of scleritis.
Scleritis - Treatment Question: What treatment(s) or medication(s) have you received for your scleritis?