Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Annie G, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

My doctor diagnosed sciatica 2 months ago, and gave me an exercise sheet and pain killers. I have also tried physiotherapy. Nothing has really helped, I cannot walk without severe pain in the right buttock and down that leg to my foot. It is worse when standing still. I have MRI appointment on Friday so will go from there when I hope to know the cause. Difficult to live like this, everything has to be planned around short distance walks to the next place to sit down for a few minutes. Sympathies to all sufferers.

Comment from: Steve52, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

Last weekend I spread 5 yards of mulch and dirt. The next day the lower back pain started. I waited a week thinking it would work itself out. I went to the doctors and physiotherapist yesterday. I can barely walk 6 steps and the sciatica pain is unbearable. It's 3:45 EST as I write this. I have slept 2 hours with the help of a muscle relaxer. I start physiotherapy tomorrow. My back has always been good and I hope they can get me back without surgery. I am also taking ibuprofen.

Comment from: Positive Thinker, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I am having sciatica from February. The pain areas are right butt, groin, thighs, and constant pain in right leg, sometimes in the left side. Reason as per my knowledge is improper postures while lifting heavy things. Medications are ibuprofen 400 mg, which I had for 5days (3 times), without relief, amitriptyline 10 mg, (since I was breast feeding they gave small dosage. No relief, but had nice sleep which makes me drowsy in the morning) and naproxen 250 mg 3 times in a day, with which I felt a bit of relief. I went to a physiotherapist and she asked me to walk as much as I can and taught me a few exercises to strengthen my back. Before starting the exercises I have set my mind that only I can help myself. I didn't bother about the pain. I walked whenever I could, and I started exercises slowly. It really helped me a lot. All I can say is sciatica is a worse pain than delivering pain in my view. All we have to do is beat the pain with proper medications, taking food and medicine at the right time, exercise, walking and last but not least self-confidence. It's been two months now. Pain is still there. But I am not bothering about it. So don't worry guys, you will be alright soon.

Comment from: lily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I got sciatica 5 years ago after an intense hike that caused a herniated disc and it got worse later after I went in a safari. Many doctors gave me medications that did nothing. I was unable to walk, pain was so severe I was screaming, and I had stiffness and had tingling in both feet. A doctor gave me anti-inflammatory medicines, pain killers and muscle relaxants, and they helped a lot. I still have it but not as severe as I did before but still I can't exercise or do many things but I'm thankful that the pain is not as severe as it was.

Comment from: Alice14, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have has hip, leg, knee, back, and foot pain for the past 14 years. I live in horrible pain 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. I have had 4 foot surgeries, three knee surgeries and been diagnosed with sciatic nerve problems. The pain starts in my back, travels into my hip, down my thigh, behind my knee, down the side of my calf muscle, behind my ankle and then travels out the side of my foot. The pain is like continuous bolts of lightning just shooting down my back, leg, and feet. The pain is also like hot, sharp nails are sticking into me. I use 3600 mg of gabapentin per day, hydrocodone and alprazolam every day. On a good day, the pain is tolerable and other days I can barely get out of bed. I have been to every kind of doctor, therapist, and had every test imaginable and I am told it is my sciatic nerve but no one can find what the problem is that causes my pain. I am 58 years old and this has been going on for so long. I just don't know how much longer I can survive this plus the other medical conditions I have.

Comment from: Oscar Shelton, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

I have tried everything for sciatica and no help, nothing would touch this pain.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?