Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Angie, Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I was involved in a rear end car accident several years ago. A few months afterwards they determined that I needed a spinal fusion and after that, a sacroiliac fusion/fixation. A possible problem of having the second surgery is pyriformis syndrome, which is where one or both pyriformis muscles (buttock muscles) wrap around the sciatic nerves and chokes them off. That is what happened to me on both the left and right sides. It happened overnight and when I went to get up from sleeping in the morning, I could barely move my legs. When I finally got my feet on the floor to stand, I fell to my knees and screamed in pain. I could barely walk or move at all. I cried in pain and knew something horrible had happened. I called my doctors and described the pain and my condition and they said this should not be happening and to go in for a visit. Of course, when they found what was going on, they scheduled me for surgery because the only thing to do (or it was 10 years ago) was to cut the pyriformis muscles off of the sciatic nerves so the muscles would release the nerves. My nerves were left damaged and I am in continued chronic pain, but the sciatic nerves have slowly improved. However, no doctor can tell me if there will ever be a time that the pain goes away.

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I shifted my pelvis years ago so now when I have sciatic nerve problems I can hardly stand straight. This is the most painful experience I ever had. I take a belt and tighten it around my hip area and it actually helps relieve some of the pressure to where I can stand straight. But this pain is horrible.

Comment from: Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

My sciatica pain goes from lower back to my ankles. My foot gets tingly and numb when I sit. I've tried injections, physical therapy, chiropractors, stretching, rest, and they don't seem to help. I have an orthopedic consult scheduled.

Comment from: ezlacher, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 12

I experienced lower back pain as a result of road accident in 1998. The sciatic pain extended to the legs. It was too painful to hesitate going to hospital. Here I was only given pain killers. After a short time the pain reduced to very low level, till this year 2016 March, the pain in the lower back and legs recurred, this time around very painful. When I went back to the same hospital I was just given NSAIDs and told to do lower back physical exercises. This didn't assist to relieve pain in any way. To date I have too much pain to the extent of not doing anything without taking strong pain killers like diclophen.

Comment from: oldnotcold, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 06

My lower back pain started about 2 years back. The general physician did not have x-rays taken, just said that by my description I had sciatica. He gives cortisone injections every 3 months but pain is back after 3 weeks. My pain is in lower back and spreads down my buttocks to both legs at back as well as causing pins and needles as well some numbness in same areas.

Comment from: Grandma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have spinal stenosis and have an attack of sciatica which is not helped by aspirin, Tylenol or ibuprofen. Naproxen made my blood pressure go too high so can't take that. I don't know what to do, the pain is bad.

Comment from: big aggie, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 19

In 1959 I fell rock climbing and had injury. I had no treatment, and experienced pain now and again. Being a nurse and heavy lifting wouldn't have helped. In 2013 physiotherapist suggested fracture of spine. In 2016 developed I developed back pain and sciatica. I had severe pain in back when lying flat for x-ray, less pain when lying on side, curled up in fetal position. My medication is Co-codamol, codeine and amitriptyline. Guess I'll have to live with it, and keep taking the tablets!

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?