Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 07

I was suffering from sciatica as my doctor said a few day ago. I can't sit, stand, walk, or sleep due to pain in the calf of my left leg. But, by pain killer and rest now I have more than 80 percent relief, but sensation is still there and my doctor says to rest and rest for overall recovery.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have and continue to suffer extreme sciatica pain for over two years. Three surgeries did not help at all. The doctor won't give me pain pills, never has. I have destroyed my kidneys with overuse of Advil. I have had 2 mini strokes one resulting in a car accident. I spent Christmas day with horrible pain. I don't know what to do next.

Comment from: Duppie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am so excited! I had been using a heating pad when I sleep at night to fight off muscle cramps. That was several years ago. Then someone gave me an electric throw last Christmas and I used it all the time at night. All the while noticing the sciatica getting worse; even in the fall when usually it would improve once summer passed. I washed the throw and it wasn't dry so I skipped using it one night. The sciatica was incredibly better the next day. I tested to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Nope, it had much improved without the heating blanket/throw. I work in a hospital and just learned that heat aggravates nerve endings; and that is what the electric throw was doing. Amazing!

Comment from: Annie G, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

My doctor diagnosed sciatica 2 months ago, and gave me an exercise sheet and pain killers. I have also tried physiotherapy. Nothing has really helped, I cannot walk without severe pain in the right buttock and down that leg to my foot. It is worse when standing still. I have MRI appointment on Friday so will go from there when I hope to know the cause. Difficult to live like this, everything has to be planned around short distance walks to the next place to sit down for a few minutes. Sympathies to all sufferers.

Comment from: Steve52, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

Last weekend I spread 5 yards of mulch and dirt. The next day the lower back pain started. I waited a week thinking it would work itself out. I went to the doctors and physiotherapist yesterday. I can barely walk 6 steps and the sciatica pain is unbearable. It's 3:45 EST as I write this. I have slept 2 hours with the help of a muscle relaxer. I start physiotherapy tomorrow. My back has always been good and I hope they can get me back without surgery. I am also taking ibuprofen.

Comment from: stef, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

My sciatica started last year, can't remember when, but I went to the doctor because there was no explanation for my pain. The doctor and I thought it was pulled groin but know I know it wasn't, and they couldn't explain my pain. I now believe it is my sciatica, it starts in the hips and go down my back thigh and down the back of my leg and it has now gone to my foot. The pain in my leg causes me to stop and I have the need to lift my leg in order to carry it, and that is strange. Now I'll go see a doctor with this information in mind.

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have had sciatica pain for 6 years. I have also had surgery but it didn't work. I can't walk for long, and standing is worse. I feel for all you people because I know what you for all going through. Let's hope our pain eases soon; life is awful with pain every day.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?