Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Grandma, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have spinal stenosis and have an attack of sciatica which is not helped by aspirin, Tylenol or ibuprofen. Naproxen made my blood pressure go too high so can't take that. I don't know what to do, the pain is bad.

Comment from: big aggie, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: April 19

In 1959 I fell rock climbing and had injury. I had no treatment, and experienced pain now and again. Being a nurse and heavy lifting wouldn't have helped. In 2013 physiotherapist suggested fracture of spine. In 2016 developed I developed back pain and sciatica. I had severe pain in back when lying flat for x-ray, less pain when lying on side, curled up in fetal position. My medication is Co-codamol, codeine and amitriptyline. Guess I'll have to live with it, and keep taking the tablets!

Comment from: Leslie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I developed spinal stenosis in December 2013 (now April 2016). No pain sitting or driving. Severe sciatica pain hit (7 to 8) after standing or walking. I had vertebrae L2 and L3 fused in August 2015. In last few months I can stand 5 to 8 minutes in the morning, 2 to 3 in the afternoon, and often only 40 seconds to 1 minute late in the evening. I carry a cane the opens into a seat, and still do grocery shopping and cooking but have to sit every few minutes as pain is excruciating, especially my left calf.

Comment from: carolinaunc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had sciatica pain on left side, pain radiating down from hip to foot, numbness in foot. When I woke up in the morning I could barely walk. In October 2015 I had a detached retina surgery and was told by the doctor that I could only sleep on my right side (I'm a left side sleeper) while it was healing which was about 3 weeks. Lo and behold the sciatica gradually improved! Now I try to make myself sleep mostly on my right side with a pillow between my legs. I am now almost now pain free.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 07

I was suffering from sciatica as my doctor said a few day ago. I can't sit, stand, walk, or sleep due to pain in the calf of my left leg. But, by pain killer and rest now I have more than 80 percent relief, but sensation is still there and my doctor says to rest and rest for overall recovery.

Comment from: Jcross, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I have sciatica pain just below my calf muscle into my foot on the left foot.

Comment from: Cadillic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

With sciatica I have pain in the right foot but it starts in my lower back down my lift hip, thigh, leg, bottom of foot, and big toes. It feels like it will fall off.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have and continue to suffer extreme sciatica pain for over two years. Three surgeries did not help at all. The doctor won't give me pain pills, never has. I have destroyed my kidneys with overuse of Advil. I have had 2 mini strokes one resulting in a car accident. I spent Christmas day with horrible pain. I don't know what to do next.

Comment from: Duppie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am so excited! I had been using a heating pad when I sleep at night to fight off muscle cramps. That was several years ago. Then someone gave me an electric throw last Christmas and I used it all the time at night. All the while noticing the sciatica getting worse; even in the fall when usually it would improve once summer passed. I washed the throw and it wasn't dry so I skipped using it one night. The sciatica was incredibly better the next day. I tested to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Nope, it had much improved without the heating blanket/throw. I work in a hospital and just learned that heat aggravates nerve endings; and that is what the electric throw was doing. Amazing!

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?