Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: bratt61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I had an orthopedic doctor nick my sciatica nerve with a needle and permanently damage the nerve. That was 6 years ago. I have a spinal cord simulator implant, it helps some but I live with chronic pain daily. I've tried all the medicines and exercises, nothing works.

Comment from: sunlitbutterfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

In 1998 I slipped on ice and fell landing on my bottom. My entire back was affected by this fall. Therapy, a cortisone injection revealed I had become 5% disabled. I began experiencing sciatica problems; swelling, pinched nerve, pain with issues of not being able to sit, stand or walk for too long. Swimming provided relief for a while. It is now 2014 and I recently have been experiencing problems again due to a minor car accident. Recently, I have been having difficulty controlling my bowels. When I need to go, I cannot wait a few minutes, they are like emergencies. I was in public with no restrooms available and had an accident because I could not control it. It was very embarrassing and so I now worry about it occurring again.

Comment from: IuckFt, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I had an aching pain in the back of my leg since I was 18, finally got it checked out 5 months later. The doctor told me I had sciatica. A few months passed, I had an MRI and found out I had pinched nerves in 2 places. I got prescribed painkillers (that don"t work), and a few months later I got an Injection in my lower back of what the doctor told me was a local anesthetic and steroids. It gave me a minor respite from the unending pain in the back of my leg that last about 2 weeks. Now I find myself going through painkillers like they"re skittles; sometimes when I'm working I go through a whole pack of ibuprofen. I turned 20 two months ago and I can"t sit for too long and I can"t walk for periods. The pain just seems to get worse as I was exercising daily but I physically can"t anymore. I"ve given up on the doctors as they will just give me stupid painkillers. All I want is a permanent solution to my leg and I just won"t get it, it"s quite depressing seeing my younger years just fade by whilst I"m limping along.

Comment from: Tas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am in the throes of recovery from debilitating sciatica. It came on two weeks after collecting apples from below a low growing apple tree. I had been on my knees stretching forward. When I went to get up I was unable to stand, no pain, more loss of leg function which resolved within minutes. I had no other symptoms until sciatica pain started radiating around buttock, down rear of leg to foot. I tried Panadol and over the counter anti-inflammatory with intermittent rest. After two weeks I was still unable to walk for more than a few meters due to the pain. I went to the general physician and was given oral prednisolone 25mg for 3 days then 12.5mg for 2 days. I did not take prescribed stronger analgesia as after 4 hours of first dose of prednisolone the pain was much better, but before next dose due the pain returned. I am now starting on a prescribed daily oral NSAID. The pain is not as debilitating but today was the last dose of prednisolone. If it does not fully resolve I will have an MRI.

Comment from: Marti, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Two weeks ago, I was experiencing some sciatica nerve pain. The doctor gave me amitriptyline which never even touched the pain at all. A week later I fell on my left hip. I thought I had broken or fractured my pelvic bone. I went to the emergency room and x-rays showed nothing was broken. I was given Percocet 5mg. It took the edge off the pain, but nothing else. At that time, all the pain centered in the pelvic area. Four days later, the sciatica nerve kicked back in full time. From the left cheek area all the way down to my left foot. It hurts to stand, it hurts to walk, hurts to lie down. It hurts right now just sitting here typing this. I had a follow up appointment with a doctor yesterday, she just increased the Percocet to 10mg. It makes me sleepy. I have to use a walker just to get around. I cannot walk by myself from just one area of the room to another. Pain is so intense that I just would like to cry. I have a very low threshold for pain. I went to my chiropractor yesterday, and he said hopefully by Friday, I should be feeling better. I just want the pain to go away!

Comment from: colleenarn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

The most debilitating pain I have ever felt is from sciatica. Nothing worked except an adjustment from my chiropractor; not prednisone or pain medication. I have kept this in check with regular adjustments and I have no more pain.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?