Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Sheraine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I suffered with sciatica when I was about 29 years of age. The pain was unbearable. My job contributed mainly to this because I was constantly sitting and as a result I developed a problem in my lower back which led to sciatica. I was constantly at the doctor who prescribed anti-inflammatory medication such as diclofenac. People who don"t suffer from pain do not understand what a person suffering from sciatica goes through. I used to cry often because of the pain. Physiotherapy helped me greatly and constant massaging and heat fomentations also helped. People suffering with this ailment must understand that the pain doesn"t disappear overnight, it"s very drawn out but eventually it does go away.

Comment from: Hurting so bad2, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I was hit from behind while driving my girlfriend's small car. I have been having loads of pain shooting down the back of my leg, a grabbing like pain affects me. It will grab me and throw me off balance from pain and nearly making me pass out. A doctor said I should have my back fused and he refused to do my back as I am over weight and once I lose that weight he would do it. Every time I lift too much weight, some times that is even as small as a bag of groceries or a gallon of milk, I feel the pain behind my knee which is caused by my sciatica nerve being pinched. I need to have something done, I can't be lying all the time. I am still young mentally, while physically I hurt like an old woman, not me at all.

Comment from: bratt61, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I had an orthopedic doctor nick my sciatica nerve with a needle and permanently damage the nerve. That was 6 years ago. I have a spinal cord simulator implant, it helps some but I live with chronic pain daily. I've tried all the medicines and exercises, nothing works.

Comment from: sunlitbutterfly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

In 1998 I slipped on ice and fell landing on my bottom. My entire back was affected by this fall. Therapy, a cortisone injection revealed I had become 5% disabled. I began experiencing sciatica problems; swelling, pinched nerve, pain with issues of not being able to sit, stand or walk for too long. Swimming provided relief for a while. It is now 2014 and I recently have been experiencing problems again due to a minor car accident. Recently, I have been having difficulty controlling my bowels. When I need to go, I cannot wait a few minutes, they are like emergencies. I was in public with no restrooms available and had an accident because I could not control it. It was very embarrassing and so I now worry about it occurring again.

Comment from: IuckFt, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 11

I had an aching pain in the back of my leg since I was 18, finally got it checked out 5 months later. The doctor told me I had sciatica. A few months passed, I had an MRI and found out I had pinched nerves in 2 places. I got prescribed painkillers (that don"t work), and a few months later I got an Injection in my lower back of what the doctor told me was a local anesthetic and steroids. It gave me a minor respite from the unending pain in the back of my leg that last about 2 weeks. Now I find myself going through painkillers like they"re skittles; sometimes when I'm working I go through a whole pack of ibuprofen. I turned 20 two months ago and I can"t sit for too long and I can"t walk for periods. The pain just seems to get worse as I was exercising daily but I physically can"t anymore. I"ve given up on the doctors as they will just give me stupid painkillers. All I want is a permanent solution to my leg and I just won"t get it, it"s quite depressing seeing my younger years just fade by whilst I"m limping along.

Comment from: Richard Merck Stewar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I have burning sensation below my back and at the face of my butt and back of my thighs. I put my electrical impulse to make me sleep at night. Also I encounter severe spasm and tightness of my muscle on my thigh and burning sensation on the toe.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?