Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Miss Mary, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

Sciatica pain is excruciating. It went down right leg, then past the knee and to the left side of shin bone. As the pain went down, the sciatica nerve literally 'bounced' or 'jumped' around. I ended up with numbness from just below the knee to the ankle. Five years later, numbness doesn't feel as deep as before and the area has lowered to just about the ankle area. I went to the emergency room, and was given hard-core pain shots, but nothing helped. Pain finally left on its own.

Comment from: WINGNUT, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

I have a pinched nerve and sciatica, with numbness. I broke my toe and did not know it because of my back. I started having deep pain in my hip so bad I could not sleep, sit or stand for long periods of time. I tried heat and ice. I had an MRI which shows a tear and that is all my doctor said and to find a pain clinic. I recently had all my teeth pulled for dentures. The pain medication my dentist gave me was the only relief I have had in 2 years and six months. I can't go to my dentist and say I have another problem, prescribe my pain medication to make it go away! I am a care giver to my fiancee and know all too well about the changes in prescription medications.

Comment from: Angie, Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I was involved in a rear end car accident several years ago. A few months afterwards they determined that I needed a spinal fusion and after that, a sacroiliac fusion/fixation. A possible problem of having the second surgery is pyriformis syndrome, which is where one or both pyriformis muscles (buttock muscles) wrap around the sciatic nerves and chokes them off. That is what happened to me on both the left and right sides. It happened overnight and when I went to get up from sleeping in the morning, I could barely move my legs. When I finally got my feet on the floor to stand, I fell to my knees and screamed in pain. I could barely walk or move at all. I cried in pain and knew something horrible had happened. I called my doctors and described the pain and my condition and they said this should not be happening and to go in for a visit. Of course, when they found what was going on, they scheduled me for surgery because the only thing to do (or it was 10 years ago) was to cut the pyriformis muscles off of the sciatic nerves so the muscles would release the nerves. My nerves were left damaged and I am in continued chronic pain, but the sciatic nerves have slowly improved. However, no doctor can tell me if there will ever be a time that the pain goes away.

Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I shifted my pelvis years ago so now when I have sciatic nerve problems I can hardly stand straight. This is the most painful experience I ever had. I take a belt and tighten it around my hip area and it actually helps relieve some of the pressure to where I can stand straight. But this pain is horrible.

Comment from: Jo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

My sciatica pain goes from lower back to my ankles. My foot gets tingly and numb when I sit. I've tried injections, physical therapy, chiropractors, stretching, rest, and they don't seem to help. I have an orthopedic consult scheduled.

Comment from: hanZ, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 19

Lower back pain generally will be just stress. No more. And there are various remedies to alleviate the sciatica pain, personally I prefer tapping.

Comment from: haritha, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I am experiencing lower back pain extending to my right leg till toe since 3 years. Although it is not too much intense pain, it is very irritating and not letting me to sit or stand for long time. And I hardly go to sleep after so much struggle. I have visited many doctors but they are saying different reasons for my back ache, I have a doubt that I might be experiencing sciatica but none of the doctors is saying it. And my scan report also shows nothing odd. I want to confirm what pain I'm suffering with and take the right medication.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?