Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have been dealing with sciatic nerve for 3 months now! The pain is so chronic, I find it painful to sit, stand, walk, cough, or sneeze! I have told my doctor about how bad it hurts! I cannot get any relief!

Comment from: Jim29673, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

Three months ago, I was about 3 or 4 levels up on a scaffold unloading 8" concrete blocks from a pallet and a pan of mortar mix was in front of me. I tripped and my right foot was caught under one of the legs of the mortar pan. At first, it did not bother me, but now if I sit for a period of time or lay down for a length of time, I have to get up very slowly because once I start to put my weight on my right leg and try to walk, a most intense throbbing pain will hit at my right hip close to my groin, and go to the inside of my right thigh, and down to my ankle. Even when standing, when I go to walk and I take a step it hurts badly.

Comment from: Ari, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had sciatica for about 8 months. My doctor prescribed me some strong medication which I can't take anymore, so the pain came back 8 out of 10. I feel it more in the morning, and I need to walk to work. I also put ice on my butt and that helps me to not feel the pain before going to sleep.

Comment from: Ninjiastar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

In 2010 I was diagnosed with RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and put on hydroxychloroquine and diclofenac which I'm still taking. In December 2012 I had slipped on water on the floor landed on my back with some bruises. Before the beginning of the year I began having severe pain in my neck and lower back. The pain became worse in lower back so I made an appointment with my orthopedic physician who referred me to the spine physician. After looking at x-rays he determined I would need an MRI to be sure, before treating me with injection in the spine area. The spine physician put me on Flexeril, meloxicam and hydrocodone for pain, which does not help with pain; only puts me to sleep.

Comment from: lilmissbosslady, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Extreme pain deep in my left butt cheek, radiates down the back of my left leg; sometimes I can't even stretch my leg out, or my toes. It kind of feels like a weird burning sensation, then a spasm of pain shoots through my upper left buttock, lower back and left leg at first I thought it was my hip but no, its a nerve messing up my whole lower left side.

Comment from: Youmademeink, 25-34 (Patient) Published: December 13

Four months ago I was sore, nothing really, but now after 2 months of constant pain, I went to see my doctor. I had physical therapy and no pain medications. Well, I went to the hospital because the pain was so intense. They were about to do x-ray but find out I'm pregnant, and say maybe that is why. I'm in a lot of pain with sciatica but I'm 5 weeks, and I've been like this for 2 months. Right side back is sore and feeling a little pain my hip. It hurts in my thigh down to my ankle outside of my leg; I can't do simple things.

Comment from: Patient A, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

I have several degenerative discs in my lower back. I have had sciatica previously in my right side / leg. This time I have a similar issue with the sciatic nerve but in my left side/leg. The difference is that along with the extreme pain of the sciatic nerve I have this nauseating pain in my groin area, almost as though I had been hit there. This pain was a new experience for me. When I sit upright or walk it is worse. If not for the nausea I could probably function, at least while the chiropractor is helping me.

Comment from: mrsmanzella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I hurt my lower back around 1981 when lifting a crate at the post office I worked at; I was out of work for 2 weeks. In 2011 I hurt it again stacking wood and the doctor gave me prednisone and my pain was gone when I woke up the next day. Prednisone was my friend. I didn't need another prescription for at least 6 months but they don't like you to take this medication for too long so I have not gotten any more and I want some badly. My back still hurts to this day. I suggested to my physician's assistant I need a MRI and I just got my test results 11-5-13 and had shots (2) in lower back yesterday 11-11-13. Oh my, I have been in pain for a long time. The radiologist said I might need surgery so I have another appointment with a back surgeon and it will take about a month for me to get an appointment I am sure, it makes me mad that it takes so long for anything to get done! I have a follow up appointment a couple of days after thanksgiving for them to see how I am feeling, etc. They have given me baclofen 14 pills twice a day 20mg no refills and Cymbalta 20mg 1 per day with 2 refills. I get 90 Norco a month. I need serious help and I have Humana and Medicare.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?