Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Hammer, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

What started out to be a really bad sore throat with a low grade fever. Finally emerging as a stomach virus later and lasting for a week. My sciatica starts to hurt. That sharp , burning pain down the back of my thigh to the back of my knee. It started out like my hip was hurt. But, how could my hip hurt when I was only in bed for the pass two days. Well, there is a swollen thigh from hip to knee with a great burning that I cant sit or bend my leg. Its so intense I could not drive my car. I started to take Aleve with a heating pad on top and one on the bottom. Those person pads for twelve hours worked well. The pain is slowly leaving. Hope that this help someone else.

Comment from: chas521, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

My sciatica actually started in the 90s because of an accident. I was a letter carrier for the USPS and one day when I was carrying the mail bag on my shoulder, I went up to this house and while bending over to put the mail in the slot and the steps collapsed. It felt as if someone punched me in the back. As a result, I herniated four disks in my spine (L5-S1 and up). Some time went by and I started to have problems with severe debilitating sciatica. I retired from the USPS because I couldn't do my job anymore. Chiropractors did nothing to help nor did Ibuprofen or ice/heat. The only thing I learned through the years that really helps is time. In addition to time, it is mandatory to do stretching exercises to keep the hamstrings stretched and to do stomach strengthening exercises.

Comment from: Guy Butters, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 02

I had a fall just a few days ago down some steps and am unfortunately travelling the world which makes it hard to cope with. My legs really hurt, hopefully it'll calm down like it does in the majority of cases within a few weeks or so. It is extremely painful but my back doesn't feel to badly hurt but that's all I hit in my fall along with my head. It's weird that it's my legs giving me so much pain!

Comment from: joyce thompson, 65-74 Published: May 29

I have pain in both legs, starting from my ankles, up my legs to my butt and back. To stand in one spot is unbearable, and I have to keep moving my legs around. Sometimes it gets so bad that I have to stand alone to control the pain or I get down on my knees to get in bed. It doesn't feel like cramps, but more like growing pains, which I know isn't the issue. I use my cane, but even with that I have to slouch down to walk. My family ignores it.

Comment from: steve grier, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: May 23

I have had two lumbar and one cervical fusion surgeries. I have peripheral neuropathy and cervical myelopathy; chronic sciatica; and lower back, hip, and upper left leg pain. I have seen a pain management doctor and none of his treatments worked. I have taken many different opioids, but nothing helps. For the past three months I have been using a cannabis salve, applied directly to the painful areas. With all I have gone through, the cannabis salve is the only thing that allows some relief.

Comment from: curtis, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

I was struck with sciatica at work. My doctor said it was from being bent over for long periods of time (I work in a sawmill). I lost eight months of work. The pain was unbearable and I was on two different pain relievers prescribed by my doctor, along with two different painkillers from Mexico that aren't allowed in Canada. I lost $40,000 in wages and my boss lied and said it happened while I was sleeping. This means no worker's compensation. On a scale of 1-10, my pain was 10 times 10. I don't wish that pain on my worst enemy.

Published: July 09

I have a sharp pain from my lower left buttock to my toes. It is becoming more difficult to walk a short distance without limping. My PA prescribed a muscle relaxer and Vicodin, but the pain persists. I am scheduled for a MRI and received a referral to a spine specialist. It's been 6 months of pain! This is starting to infringe on my quality of life & I resent it!

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?