Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Cadillic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

With sciatica I have pain in the right foot but it starts in my lower back down my lift hip, thigh, leg, bottom of foot, and big toes. It feels like it will fall off.

Comment from: stef, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

My sciatica started last year, can't remember when, but I went to the doctor because there was no explanation for my pain. The doctor and I thought it was pulled groin but know I know it wasn't, and they couldn't explain my pain. I now believe it is my sciatica, it starts in the hips and go down my back thigh and down the back of my leg and it has now gone to my foot. The pain in my leg causes me to stop and I have the need to lift my leg in order to carry it, and that is strange. Now I'll go see a doctor with this information in mind.

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have had sciatica pain for 6 years. I have also had surgery but it didn't work. I can't walk for long, and standing is worse. I feel for all you people because I know what you for all going through. Let's hope our pain eases soon; life is awful with pain every day.

Comment from: Aaron, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I felt something in my lower back twist when I was at my new job. I have pain from my buttocks to my right leg, calf, thigh, and foot. I can't stand in one position for long. And some days the sciatica is worse than others (workdays). It's been three weeks, I think I should go to the urgent care; I'm sick of being in such pain.

Comment from: Taking amoxicillin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had pain blocks for nerve pain; however, when I started taking amoxicillin for a sinus problem I felt like my old self again. The pain block really didn't help, but the amoxicillin helped my sciatica wonderfully.

Comment from: coco, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am scared witless because I went to the doctor on Tuesday and he gave me naproxen. The other doctor suggested a CT scan. The pain got worse and I fell over in the shop. Now it is Thursday and my general physician has booked me in at 6 pm as an emergency. Hope he can give me the correct medication. It feels like a hip problem and there is burning sensation down my right leg. Debilitating is how I describe sciatica. I'm going to ask if surgery would help. I have got 4 and a half hours to go.

Comment from: Felina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My sciatica flares every 4 to 6 weeks. It generally radiates from my lower left back to mid-thigh but recently extends around to the side of my hip. The pain can be from mild to severe. I do not take prescription pain medicines so extra strength Tylenol is quite helpful but I am reluctant to take even that. I would be grateful for some exercises or heat treatment suggestions as an alternative to medication.

Comment from: Sam, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I am having a mild nagging pain on the outer side of my right thigh, just below the hip. Because of this, I am unable to sleep on my right side. If I sleep on the right side the sciatica pain radiates till my right calf muscle. Sometimes I can feel a light swelling on the above spot.

Comment from: Magic E, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've been suffering with sciatica for 15 years, I have had numerous epidurals, burn nerve endings, steroids and pain medications and through all of it, I am still in pain. I want to wake up one morning without pain. I can't go on this way any longer.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?