Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have suffered from sciatic pain for over a year. Unfortunately I experience it in both legs and I have pain every day. At times it is very debilitating. Physical therapy has really helped me. Strengthening the core muscles that support the spine has decreased my pain significantly. Next week I begin dry needling to eliminate muscle pain. I'm actually looking forward to it because I desperately want to be pain-free and avoid back surgery and cortisone shots. I am hopeful that some relief is in sight!

Comment from: j1m2t3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a nurse who developed sciatica pain secondary to arthritis in L4 and L5. Sometimes I wake up with tingling in my leg. At times the dorsal aspect of my foot is sore with walking. I feel best when I stretch, eat healthy and use ice and heat. For pharmaceutical use: Aleve and Tylenol. I would definitely benefit from losing weight. It can be depressing to have pain even when trying to change position at night in bed. But when I neglect my body is when I really notice more pain.

Comment from: lenmac, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

My sciatica started very abruptly one morning after sitting up in bed using my notebook. When I got out of bed a sharp pain hit the right hip and buttock. This quickly escalated over the next few hours to 10 on the scale of 1 - 10 leaving me unable to move without enormous pain (enough to bring tears and vomiting!). An out of hours home visit by a general practitioner, where she injected pethidine into the right upper buttock, produced final relief (after 14 hours overnight of no sleep). I am now left with a very slight pain in the right hip area and 80% numbness down from the right knee about 15cm (6 inches). The onset of the sciatica seems to have followed a parvovirus (B19) infection that caused (and still does) arthritis-like symptoms in both hands and feet. Walking exercise is helping along with the use of diclofenac (Voltaren SR100 tabs) and indomethacin for pain and inflammation.

Comment from: Cadillic, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

With sciatica I have pain in the right foot but it starts in my lower back down my lift hip, thigh, leg, bottom of foot, and big toes. It feels like it will fall off.

Comment from: stef, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 14

My sciatica started last year, can't remember when, but I went to the doctor because there was no explanation for my pain. The doctor and I thought it was pulled groin but know I know it wasn't, and they couldn't explain my pain. I now believe it is my sciatica, it starts in the hips and go down my back thigh and down the back of my leg and it has now gone to my foot. The pain in my leg causes me to stop and I have the need to lift my leg in order to carry it, and that is strange. Now I'll go see a doctor with this information in mind.

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have had sciatica pain for 6 years. I have also had surgery but it didn't work. I can't walk for long, and standing is worse. I feel for all you people because I know what you for all going through. Let's hope our pain eases soon; life is awful with pain every day.

Comment from: Aaron, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I felt something in my lower back twist when I was at my new job. I have pain from my buttocks to my right leg, calf, thigh, and foot. I can't stand in one position for long. And some days the sciatica is worse than others (workdays). It's been three weeks, I think I should go to the urgent care; I'm sick of being in such pain.

Comment from: Taking amoxicillin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had pain blocks for nerve pain; however, when I started taking amoxicillin for a sinus problem I felt like my old self again. The pain block really didn't help, but the amoxicillin helped my sciatica wonderfully.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?