Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Sam, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I am having a mild nagging pain on the outer side of my right thigh, just below the hip. Because of this, I am unable to sleep on my right side. If I sleep on the right side the sciatica pain radiates till my right calf muscle. Sometimes I can feel a light swelling on the above spot.

Comment from: Magic E, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've been suffering with sciatica for 15 years, I have had numerous epidurals, burn nerve endings, steroids and pain medications and through all of it, I am still in pain. I want to wake up one morning without pain. I can't go on this way any longer.

Comment from: Carl, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I have aches at my back at hip level. I can't stand in one spot and my legs are numb from the knee down especially the right leg. And if I bump my leg, not hard it is real painful and I only bump it lightly.

Comment from: Jason G, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I've tried everything to relieve my sciatica pain. The only thing that worked and I was apprehensive to try, was the chiropractor. I actually cried with tears of joy the first day I woke up without pain! Please try it for a few months and don't give up. It helped me! When I stopped going for a year I had a relapse, but fixed it with a few visits. Don't give up.

Comment from: ronsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I wake up every morning between 3 and 4 in agony. It is a battle to get up and walk to loosen it up. My sciatica is better during the day but there is low level pain all the time. Hot water bottle helps. I am on Arcoxia and ibuprofen but it is not enough.

Comment from: barfon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I"ve been suffering sciatica pain for 3 years. My doctor sent me to get the shot to the back, it never really helped. Now my pain is so severe that I have been told that I will need surgery to correct this. My left foot is cold to the touch and it is swollen; also I can"t feel it when walking. For the last 2 weeks there now is pain in my testicles and I am not sure if this is also from the sciatica nerve. I will have to contact the doctor to meet with a surgeon to get this fixed.

Comment from: kate7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a hysterectomy 5 1/2 years ago, in which they nicked my sciatic nerve with a stitch. My left leg is in constant pain along with muscle spasms and nothing seems to help. I was told it would take time to heal the nerve, but 5 1/2 years? Seriously! Wouldn"t it feel a little better by now!

Comment from: Roundthebend, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had an active life, but recently retired from a sedentary job. I"ve had back pain for several years, but in the last several months I have searing pain down the backs of both of my legs, it is crippling! If I bend down to pick up something, it triggers the pain that lasts for about 15 minutes.

Comment from: Deb b, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

The pain from sciatica is worse than giving birth. I have been house bound for 21 days, I am hunched over and when I try to get around the home the pain is unbearable. Medications don"t relieve anything; it is mentally degrading and physically impossible to live with this. I would not wish this on anyone. Good luck to all those sufferers out there, I feel and know you"re pain; find a cure someone please!

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?