Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: help, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a lower back injury at work in 2006, two weeks now I have the worst pain in my life, it makes me scream, it's like being crippled on my left side lower back to toes, I can't drive or sit, it's so sad, for us that's living with this sort of pain, I can't laugh or do anything like a normal person anymore.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

It's been a very hard year for my mum. The pain she gets every day and night is horrific, and from what we have been told it is sciatica. She is unable to do what she loves, which is gardening or walking. She is sleepy during the day as she has restless nights.

Comment from: debb0143, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I find that naproxen helps with my sciatica.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My pain from sciatica is so severe sometimes, it hurts to sit down.

Comment from: Sarrita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have had lower back pain since 1999. It was sometimes severe and sometime it was ok. Now I have pain in my left leg. It has been diagnosed as sciatica. The doctor gave me steroid injections in the spine. As a result there is significant improvement in the lower back pain but there is no improvement in the leg pain.

Comment from: Aching in Oklahoma, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I am a 48 year old male in pain. I attended my 30 year high school reunion two weeks ago and had a wonderful time. All I remember was dancing the night away and the following morning, having a sharp pain in my lower left back slightly above my left butt cheek. I have been taking Aleve and stretching daily. From time to time I soak in the hot tub. The pain is less severe but not gone. I made a doctor's appointment and I am hopeful help is on the way.

Comment from: lawman16558, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

In May 2005 I suffered a spinal injury, and since then I have been having pain of the sciatic nerve. I have used gabapentin, oxycodone, and morphine, and none of these help. The pain is so severe that I can't sleep.

Comment from: Kev, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 15

I did not have surgery for a bulging disc L5 and put up with the back pain for years, until it turned into sciatica pain. Surgery was the best thing I did at the time. Just remember one thing that the more you leave it the more it can damage the nerve as it can be quashed and the nerve will not go back to the original shape and you could be left with the pain for life.

Comment from: Sandy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 20

I have been living with chronic sciatica pain for over six months now. The burning is so intense down my buttock and thigh that my whole leg gets pins and needles. Then it goes numb and I can't feel my foot. I have tried pain killers which work for a while but do not want to live on them. Walking is so painful but sitting down is just as bad, so basically am crippled with it.

Comment from: helpless, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

i have severe lower back pain some days I can hardly walk or move. I cant bend over I cant pick my granddkids up. My doctor suggested physical therapy before anything else. I can't see how that would help the more I move the more I hurt so I could really use advice from people in the same boat.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?