Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: ronsie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I wake up every morning between 3 and 4 in agony. It is a battle to get up and walk to loosen it up. My sciatica is better during the day but there is low level pain all the time. Hot water bottle helps. I am on Arcoxia and ibuprofen but it is not enough.

Comment from: barfon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I"ve been suffering sciatica pain for 3 years. My doctor sent me to get the shot to the back, it never really helped. Now my pain is so severe that I have been told that I will need surgery to correct this. My left foot is cold to the touch and it is swollen; also I can"t feel it when walking. For the last 2 weeks there now is pain in my testicles and I am not sure if this is also from the sciatica nerve. I will have to contact the doctor to meet with a surgeon to get this fixed.

Comment from: kate7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a hysterectomy 5 1/2 years ago, in which they nicked my sciatic nerve with a stitch. My left leg is in constant pain along with muscle spasms and nothing seems to help. I was told it would take time to heal the nerve, but 5 1/2 years? Seriously! Wouldn"t it feel a little better by now!

Comment from: Roundthebend, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had an active life, but recently retired from a sedentary job. I"ve had back pain for several years, but in the last several months I have searing pain down the backs of both of my legs, it is crippling! If I bend down to pick up something, it triggers the pain that lasts for about 15 minutes.

Comment from: Deb b, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

The pain from sciatica is worse than giving birth. I have been house bound for 21 days, I am hunched over and when I try to get around the home the pain is unbearable. Medications don"t relieve anything; it is mentally degrading and physically impossible to live with this. I would not wish this on anyone. Good luck to all those sufferers out there, I feel and know you"re pain; find a cure someone please!

Comment from: LUCKY 2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I fell from my porch one day, didn"t think about it till next morning when I awoke and couldn"t move out of bed and was in pain. I called my friend who came and called 911, when they came they put me on a stretcher since I couldn"t walk, and took me to emergency. After all kinds of tests they said it was sciatica, and since I didn"t have insurance they sent me home with some pills. I have 2 hip replacements, I went to see my primary care physician, got x-rays and he says it is arthritis. I know that"s not it, every morning my left thigh has the pain where I have trouble moving, I also have trouble standing straight for over 10 minutes. He still says its arthritis, I have had arthritis for years so I know the difference; that does not stop me from moving.

Comment from: lavender, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have suffered with sciatica since 1997. I don't sleep very often. This is the most depressing pain of all pain. Nothing has eased my pain except I am now a pill popping patient. Narcotics, anti-inflammatories, nothing helps. Sometimes I'm desperate for relief.

Comment from: colleenarn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

The most debilitating pain I have ever felt is from sciatica. Nothing worked except an adjustment from my chiropractor; not prednisone or pain medication. I have kept this in check with regular adjustments and I have no more pain.

Comment from: A Victom, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I have a chronic, constant throbbing pain in my right shoulder blade close to my vertebra. Sometimes my toes get numb and tingly; other times my whole foot. Also, sometimes my fingertips get tingly and numb. The symptoms started after I was riding my bike; I hit a pot hole, my right hand was the only hand on the handle bars (thank goodness), as a result, my right shoulder blade smashed against my vertebra where the sciatic nerve is.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?