Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Dcajm, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

Last Thursday I woke up in severe pain around my right buttock radiating down to my knee, I thought maybe I'd slept wrong so I tried to ignore it. I have a bulging disc in my neck and serious back pain so I deal with pain daily but this hurt really bad. I waited almost a week before I went to the doctor, I was in tears so she tells me its sciatica and to just take my regular medicines of neurontin, Flexeril, and hydrocodone as prescribed. She gave me two shots one of Norflex and the other Toradol and sent me home said if it got worse to call. Well the next day it was worse, now I'm taking prednisone and still the others. I got about 6 hours today pain free, now I'm almost in tears again, back in bed. Definitely not pain free, it hurts no matter how I move or lay.

Comment from: sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

With sciatica, this is the first time I have ever experienced such pain. I get occasional lower backaches but this pain is always in my thighs to my knees. The burning and numbness is just unbearable. Sometimes I get sharp pains there also and if I cough the pain is just awful. I have to stand for 6 hours at work and sometimes I am in tears from this awful situation. This has been going on about a year now.

Published: July 09

My pain started a few days after a long driving trip (4000 miles). It's the first time I've had this problem. The pain was very intense making even simple movements of my left leg very painful. It was a 10 on the 1-10 scale. Bending over was impossible. No matter how long I looked at my sock on the floor I could not pick it up. The pain would strike from my left butt cheek to my left ankle. After I'd move it would continue to ache for a period of time. I could not sit in most chairs as it was too uncomfortable. I spent four days in a chair with minimal time out of the chair. I could barely walk to get to the bathroom or to get food. After the fourth day I found that 800 mg of Ibuprofen would give me relief for about three hours. The day after that (today) the pain was much less, only about a 4 on the 10 scale and that was without any Ibuprofen. I'm looking forward to continued recovery.

Published: May 28

To begin with, the pain was located in the upper inner quadrant of the left buttock as if a deep intramuscular injection was given! Then the pain started radiating down the buttock, back of the thigh down to the popliteal fossa. I could minimize the pain by adopting certain postures. Heat was more effective in alleviating the pain. In three weeks time, the pain severity came down by almost 50% without using too many analgesics. Walking exercises were continued despite pain.

Comment from: farmer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I been in pain due to sciatica for over one year, I've done it all physiotherapy, shots, pills; no relief.

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have severe pain in the buttocks down to the leg because of sciatica.

Comment from: Brokcollegemom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I fell today on black ice and twisted my back along with sciatica. I have terrible spasms that brings me to tears.

Comment from: mamma m, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My experience with sciatica is causing me to panic in that I was diagnosed in November 2013. During the time, I was being seen by a pain management doctor following surgery replacing 3 discs in my neck. Because I have no insurance, my doctor sent me a letter 02/03/2014 stating that she should no longer treat me because my condition may require further medical treatment.

Comment from: Mitch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

When I urinate, just as I begin, I get a sharp knife stabbing in the bottom of my left toe. The doctor says it's my sciatica.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?