Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: j1m2t3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a nurse who developed sciatica pain secondary to arthritis in L4 and L5. Sometimes I wake up with tingling in my leg. At times the dorsal aspect of my foot is sore with walking. I feel best when I stretch, eat healthy and use ice and heat. For pharmaceutical use: Aleve and Tylenol. I would definitely benefit from losing weight. It can be depressing to have pain even when trying to change position at night in bed. But when I neglect my body is when I really notice more pain.

Comment from: lenmac, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

My sciatica started very abruptly one morning after sitting up in bed using my notebook. When I got out of bed a sharp pain hit the right hip and buttock. This quickly escalated over the next few hours to 10 on the scale of 1 - 10 leaving me unable to move without enormous pain (enough to bring tears and vomiting!). An out of hours home visit by a general practitioner, where she injected pethidine into the right upper buttock, produced final relief (after 14 hours overnight of no sleep). I am now left with a very slight pain in the right hip area and 80% numbness down from the right knee about 15cm (6 inches). The onset of the sciatica seems to have followed a parvovirus (B19) infection that caused (and still does) arthritis-like symptoms in both hands and feet. Walking exercise is helping along with the use of diclofenac (Voltaren SR100 tabs) and indomethacin for pain and inflammation.

Comment from: coco, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am scared witless because I went to the doctor on Tuesday and he gave me naproxen. The other doctor suggested a CT scan. The pain got worse and I fell over in the shop. Now it is Thursday and my general physician has booked me in at 6 pm as an emergency. Hope he can give me the correct medication. It feels like a hip problem and there is burning sensation down my right leg. Debilitating is how I describe sciatica. I'm going to ask if surgery would help. I have got 4 and a half hours to go.

Comment from: Felina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My sciatica flares every 4 to 6 weeks. It generally radiates from my lower left back to mid-thigh but recently extends around to the side of my hip. The pain can be from mild to severe. I do not take prescription pain medicines so extra strength Tylenol is quite helpful but I am reluctant to take even that. I would be grateful for some exercises or heat treatment suggestions as an alternative to medication.

Comment from: Sam, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

I am having a mild nagging pain on the outer side of my right thigh, just below the hip. Because of this, I am unable to sleep on my right side. If I sleep on the right side the sciatica pain radiates till my right calf muscle. Sometimes I can feel a light swelling on the above spot.

Comment from: Magic E, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I've been suffering with sciatica for 15 years, I have had numerous epidurals, burn nerve endings, steroids and pain medications and through all of it, I am still in pain. I want to wake up one morning without pain. I can't go on this way any longer.

Comment from: Carl, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 29

I have aches at my back at hip level. I can't stand in one spot and my legs are numb from the knee down especially the right leg. And if I bump my leg, not hard it is real painful and I only bump it lightly.

Comment from: Jason G, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I've tried everything to relieve my sciatica pain. The only thing that worked and I was apprehensive to try, was the chiropractor. I actually cried with tears of joy the first day I woke up without pain! Please try it for a few months and don't give up. It helped me! When I stopped going for a year I had a relapse, but fixed it with a few visits. Don't give up.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?