Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have suffered from sciatic pain for over a year. Unfortunately I experience it in both legs and I have pain every day. At times it is very debilitating. Physical therapy has really helped me. Strengthening the core muscles that support the spine has decreased my pain significantly. Next week I begin dry needling to eliminate muscle pain. I'm actually looking forward to it because I desperately want to be pain-free and avoid back surgery and cortisone shots. I am hopeful that some relief is in sight!

Comment from: j1m2t3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a nurse who developed sciatica pain secondary to arthritis in L4 and L5. Sometimes I wake up with tingling in my leg. At times the dorsal aspect of my foot is sore with walking. I feel best when I stretch, eat healthy and use ice and heat. For pharmaceutical use: Aleve and Tylenol. I would definitely benefit from losing weight. It can be depressing to have pain even when trying to change position at night in bed. But when I neglect my body is when I really notice more pain.

Comment from: lenmac, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

My sciatica started very abruptly one morning after sitting up in bed using my notebook. When I got out of bed a sharp pain hit the right hip and buttock. This quickly escalated over the next few hours to 10 on the scale of 1 - 10 leaving me unable to move without enormous pain (enough to bring tears and vomiting!). An out of hours home visit by a general practitioner, where she injected pethidine into the right upper buttock, produced final relief (after 14 hours overnight of no sleep). I am now left with a very slight pain in the right hip area and 80% numbness down from the right knee about 15cm (6 inches). The onset of the sciatica seems to have followed a parvovirus (B19) infection that caused (and still does) arthritis-like symptoms in both hands and feet. Walking exercise is helping along with the use of diclofenac (Voltaren SR100 tabs) and indomethacin for pain and inflammation.

Comment from: Helen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I have had sciatica pain for 6 years. I have also had surgery but it didn't work. I can't walk for long, and standing is worse. I feel for all you people because I know what you for all going through. Let's hope our pain eases soon; life is awful with pain every day.

Comment from: Aaron, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I felt something in my lower back twist when I was at my new job. I have pain from my buttocks to my right leg, calf, thigh, and foot. I can't stand in one position for long. And some days the sciatica is worse than others (workdays). It's been three weeks, I think I should go to the urgent care; I'm sick of being in such pain.

Comment from: Taking amoxicillin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had pain blocks for nerve pain; however, when I started taking amoxicillin for a sinus problem I felt like my old self again. The pain block really didn't help, but the amoxicillin helped my sciatica wonderfully.

Comment from: coco, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I am scared witless because I went to the doctor on Tuesday and he gave me naproxen. The other doctor suggested a CT scan. The pain got worse and I fell over in the shop. Now it is Thursday and my general physician has booked me in at 6 pm as an emergency. Hope he can give me the correct medication. It feels like a hip problem and there is burning sensation down my right leg. Debilitating is how I describe sciatica. I'm going to ask if surgery would help. I have got 4 and a half hours to go.

Comment from: Felina, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 21

My sciatica flares every 4 to 6 weeks. It generally radiates from my lower left back to mid-thigh but recently extends around to the side of my hip. The pain can be from mild to severe. I do not take prescription pain medicines so extra strength Tylenol is quite helpful but I am reluctant to take even that. I would be grateful for some exercises or heat treatment suggestions as an alternative to medication.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?