Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Youmademeink, 25-34 (Patient) Published: December 13

Four months ago I was sore, nothing really, but now after 2 months of constant pain, I went to see my doctor. I had physical therapy and no pain medications. Well, I went to the hospital because the pain was so intense. They were about to do x-ray but find out I'm pregnant, and say maybe that is why. I'm in a lot of pain with sciatica but I'm 5 weeks, and I've been like this for 2 months. Right side back is sore and feeling a little pain my hip. It hurts in my thigh down to my ankle outside of my leg; I can't do simple things.

Comment from: Patient A, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 22

I have several degenerative discs in my lower back. I have had sciatica previously in my right side / leg. This time I have a similar issue with the sciatic nerve but in my left side/leg. The difference is that along with the extreme pain of the sciatic nerve I have this nauseating pain in my groin area, almost as though I had been hit there. This pain was a new experience for me. When I sit upright or walk it is worse. If not for the nausea I could probably function, at least while the chiropractor is helping me.

Comment from: mrsmanzella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I hurt my lower back around 1981 when lifting a crate at the post office I worked at; I was out of work for 2 weeks. In 2011 I hurt it again stacking wood and the doctor gave me prednisone and my pain was gone when I woke up the next day. Prednisone was my friend. I didn't need another prescription for at least 6 months but they don't like you to take this medication for too long so I have not gotten any more and I want some badly. My back still hurts to this day. I suggested to my physician's assistant I need a MRI and I just got my test results 11-5-13 and had shots (2) in lower back yesterday 11-11-13. Oh my, I have been in pain for a long time. The radiologist said I might need surgery so I have another appointment with a back surgeon and it will take about a month for me to get an appointment I am sure, it makes me mad that it takes so long for anything to get done! I have a follow up appointment a couple of days after thanksgiving for them to see how I am feeling, etc. They have given me baclofen 14 pills twice a day 20mg no refills and Cymbalta 20mg 1 per day with 2 refills. I get 90 Norco a month. I need serious help and I have Humana and Medicare.

Comment from: JAY, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My sciatica started while doing a yoga pose, throwing my right leg towards the left side of my body. This was at least 6 months ago. I had no back pain, just in the buttocks and down the back of the leg. It hurts the most when I lay on that side, usually after about 5 minutes. Occasionally when I stand a long while, it hurts but mostly when lying. Taking ibuprofen about 15 minutes before I go to bed helps for a while.

Comment from: Kim, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I was doing laundry today and got up off my bed and felt a sharp stabbing pain in the lower left side. I thought I just moved wrong so I went to take a hot bath. I ran the bath as hot as I could stand it thinking that would help. After 20 minutes in the tub I could barely move and crawled out of the tub back to my bed. I have a very high pain tolerance so anything than can make me cry, go to emergency room and call husband at work has to be really bad. After 3 hours the doctor finally said I had a bulging disk and it was pressing on my sciatic nerve and that was causing my pain. After a shot of Demerol and steroids I was sent home. By the time I got home the Demerol had worn off. I am still in extreme pain.

Comment from: angellight, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have scoliosis of the right hip. Over the last month I have been experiencing pain from my lower back and hips that shoots down both my legs. It is very difficult to walk and even standing sends sharp pain down my legs.

Comment from: Nikki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I was reading in bed one night. I went to get up and felt the worst pain I've ever felt in my lower back. I couldn't move, bend or sit down; it was the most severe pain I've ever had in my life. Throughout the next hour or two the pain traveled to my right buttock area and then down my right upper thigh. It eventually settled in my right calf area and the back of my right knee. I went to the hospital to treat the pain with steroids and eventually had an MRI taken. It's been 4 weeks and the pain has subsided a bit but it has settled behind my right knee where it continues to be a constant ache. I was informed I have a disk that is pressing on my sciatic nerve and will need physical therapy, aqua therapy and injections into the area.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?