Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: lavender, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I have suffered with sciatica since 1997. I don't sleep very often. This is the most depressing pain of all pain. Nothing has eased my pain except I am now a pill popping patient. Narcotics, anti-inflammatories, nothing helps. Sometimes I'm desperate for relief.

Comment from: colleenarn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

The most debilitating pain I have ever felt is from sciatica. Nothing worked except an adjustment from my chiropractor; not prednisone or pain medication. I have kept this in check with regular adjustments and I have no more pain.

Comment from: A Victom, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I have a chronic, constant throbbing pain in my right shoulder blade close to my vertebra. Sometimes my toes get numb and tingly; other times my whole foot. Also, sometimes my fingertips get tingly and numb. The symptoms started after I was riding my bike; I hit a pot hole, my right hand was the only hand on the handle bars (thank goodness), as a result, my right shoulder blade smashed against my vertebra where the sciatic nerve is.

Comment from: Gigi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I have been dealing with sciatic nerve for 3 months now! The pain is so chronic, I find it painful to sit, stand, walk, cough, or sneeze! I have told my doctor about how bad it hurts! I cannot get any relief!

Comment from: Jim29673, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 06

Three months ago, I was about 3 or 4 levels up on a scaffold unloading 8" concrete blocks from a pallet and a pan of mortar mix was in front of me. I tripped and my right foot was caught under one of the legs of the mortar pan. At first, it did not bother me, but now if I sit for a period of time or lay down for a length of time, I have to get up very slowly because once I start to put my weight on my right leg and try to walk, a most intense throbbing pain will hit at my right hip close to my groin, and go to the inside of my right thigh, and down to my ankle. Even when standing, when I go to walk and I take a step it hurts badly.

Comment from: Ari, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 30

I had sciatica for about 8 months. My doctor prescribed me some strong medication which I can't take anymore, so the pain came back 8 out of 10. I feel it more in the morning, and I need to walk to work. I also put ice on my butt and that helps me to not feel the pain before going to sleep.

Comment from: Ninjiastar, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

In 2010 I was diagnosed with RA (rheumatoid arthritis) and put on hydroxychloroquine and diclofenac which I'm still taking. In December 2012 I had slipped on water on the floor landed on my back with some bruises. Before the beginning of the year I began having severe pain in my neck and lower back. The pain became worse in lower back so I made an appointment with my orthopedic physician who referred me to the spine physician. After looking at x-rays he determined I would need an MRI to be sure, before treating me with injection in the spine area. The spine physician put me on Flexeril, meloxicam and hydrocodone for pain, which does not help with pain; only puts me to sleep.

Comment from: lilmissbosslady, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

Extreme pain deep in my left butt cheek, radiates down the back of my left leg; sometimes I can't even stretch my leg out, or my toes. It kind of feels like a weird burning sensation, then a spasm of pain shoots through my upper left buttock, lower back and left leg at first I thought it was my hip but no, its a nerve messing up my whole lower left side.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?