Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: perky, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

My problem began 55 years ago making a cement sidewalk when I in my male prime carelessly lifted cement bags and was not paying attention to bent knees; I injured my back and since then have been paying the price in pain, pain and pain; 222s gave me ulcer and simple things like lifting a fallen pencil sunk me to my knees and bed. I have had numerous sciatica bouts of immobility and pain. This is my worst bout with movements and pain; I've tried therapies, chiropractors, medications, etc. just name it! Now, I'm trying Cymbalta, a slight chance it may relieve pain of the irritable sciatica; I know the hazards of the drug, but what to do!

Comment from: Debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Last December I stepped off the top step and my right knee popped. It was so painful. Now after all this time I have the most terrible pain that goes from my right buttock all the way down to the bottom of my foot; it takes away my breath. It feels like electrical currents running through my entire leg. I can't lay down the pain is so bad. I have to try to sleep in my recliner. I only sleep from 1 to 2 hours and am up every hour after that. This pain is unbearable. I am miserable. I have no insurance so not am not taking any treatment. I need some relief.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have suffered from sciatic pain for over a year. Unfortunately I experience it in both legs and I have pain every day. At times it is very debilitating. Physical therapy has really helped me. Strengthening the core muscles that support the spine has decreased my pain significantly. Next week I begin dry needling to eliminate muscle pain. I'm actually looking forward to it because I desperately want to be pain-free and avoid back surgery and cortisone shots. I am hopeful that some relief is in sight!

Comment from: j1m2t3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a nurse who developed sciatica pain secondary to arthritis in L4 and L5. Sometimes I wake up with tingling in my leg. At times the dorsal aspect of my foot is sore with walking. I feel best when I stretch, eat healthy and use ice and heat. For pharmaceutical use: Aleve and Tylenol. I would definitely benefit from losing weight. It can be depressing to have pain even when trying to change position at night in bed. But when I neglect my body is when I really notice more pain.

Comment from: lenmac, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

My sciatica started very abruptly one morning after sitting up in bed using my notebook. When I got out of bed a sharp pain hit the right hip and buttock. This quickly escalated over the next few hours to 10 on the scale of 1 - 10 leaving me unable to move without enormous pain (enough to bring tears and vomiting!). An out of hours home visit by a general practitioner, where she injected pethidine into the right upper buttock, produced final relief (after 14 hours overnight of no sleep). I am now left with a very slight pain in the right hip area and 80% numbness down from the right knee about 15cm (6 inches). The onset of the sciatica seems to have followed a parvovirus (B19) infection that caused (and still does) arthritis-like symptoms in both hands and feet. Walking exercise is helping along with the use of diclofenac (Voltaren SR100 tabs) and indomethacin for pain and inflammation.

Comment from: Deb b, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

The pain from sciatica is worse than giving birth. I have been house bound for 21 days, I am hunched over and when I try to get around the home the pain is unbearable. Medications don"t relieve anything; it is mentally degrading and physically impossible to live with this. I would not wish this on anyone. Good luck to all those sufferers out there, I feel and know you"re pain; find a cure someone please!

Comment from: LUCKY 2, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I fell from my porch one day, didn"t think about it till next morning when I awoke and couldn"t move out of bed and was in pain. I called my friend who came and called 911, when they came they put me on a stretcher since I couldn"t walk, and took me to emergency. After all kinds of tests they said it was sciatica, and since I didn"t have insurance they sent me home with some pills. I have 2 hip replacements, I went to see my primary care physician, got x-rays and he says it is arthritis. I know that"s not it, every morning my left thigh has the pain where I have trouble moving, I also have trouble standing straight for over 10 minutes. He still says its arthritis, I have had arthritis for years so I know the difference; that does not stop me from moving.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?