Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: lily, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I got sciatica 5 years ago after an intense hike that caused a herniated disc and it got worse later after I went in a safari. Many doctors gave me medications that did nothing. I was unable to walk, pain was so severe I was screaming, and I had stiffness and had tingling in both feet. A doctor gave me anti-inflammatory medicines, pain killers and muscle relaxants, and they helped a lot. I still have it but not as severe as I did before but still I can't exercise or do many things but I'm thankful that the pain is not as severe as it was.

Comment from: Alice14, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have has hip, leg, knee, back, and foot pain for the past 14 years. I live in horrible pain 14 hours a day, 7 days a week. I have had 4 foot surgeries, three knee surgeries and been diagnosed with sciatic nerve problems. The pain starts in my back, travels into my hip, down my thigh, behind my knee, down the side of my calf muscle, behind my ankle and then travels out the side of my foot. The pain is like continuous bolts of lightning just shooting down my back, leg, and feet. The pain is also like hot, sharp nails are sticking into me. I use 3600 mg of gabapentin per day, hydrocodone and alprazolam every day. On a good day, the pain is tolerable and other days I can barely get out of bed. I have been to every kind of doctor, therapist, and had every test imaginable and I am told it is my sciatic nerve but no one can find what the problem is that causes my pain. I am 58 years old and this has been going on for so long. I just don't know how much longer I can survive this plus the other medical conditions I have.

Comment from: Rosemary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had sciatica when pregnant some 35 years ago. My mother also had a spell of it when she was in her 70s. Then about two to three weeks ago I got a twinge in my bottom and down my right leg to the calf. I took some aspirin and the pain subsided. Whilst Christmas shopping in the local mall the pain became unbearable and the only relief I have had is going into the warm pool at the aqua park we visited just before Christmas. I have spent the last week of the holiday in absolute agony, taking one pain medication after the other, as well as an anti-inflammatory. I am now trying Nurofen and Voltaren Emulgel rub. Today is my first day and it seems to be hanging in there! All I can think about is the New Year's medical aid to kick in on 1st Jan so I can visit the doctor!

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I am a 45 year old mother of three, and a waitress. I have been a server for all of my adult life. For the last three years I have suffered from sciatica. It is so painful, I can hardly sleep because I can feel the pain all through the night, even if I manage to fall asleep. No pain medicines seem to touch the pain. I will be going to a specialist soon, but do not want just medicines thrown at me. I would like an answer and a solution (if there is one). Anyone who doesn't have it, doesn't quite get it. I tell my husband that I want to cut my legs off, that's how it feels from morning till night. It sounds extreme, but nothing makes the chronic pain go away. I have tried stretches, exercises, pillows on chairs, etc., we also ride motorcycles, and it takes me 15 minutes or so to get off the bike, the pain gets so bad. I don't want to give these things up, or my livelihood, but soon I feel I won't have a choice. I have done some research and I feel like surgery is really the only long term solution.

Comment from: BrokenBody, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have had osteoarthritis in both knees for many years. A year ago, I could not even walk. It improved after ultra sound and interferential treatment as well as leg stretch and strengthening exercises, and now returned to normal activities. Just a few days ago, I had excruciating pain from hip down the whole legs. Pain in left leg was more intensive. The pain was most intensive passing urine and stool. Pain was less severe lying down or standing up with straight leg. After one day, I went to my physiotherapist and asked if interferential treatment would help my sciatica. She gave me a dose of ultra sound and interferential treatment. It improved 90% right after the treatment. No more pain passing urine or stool. After one day, I have only occasional minor pain. Hope pain to be gone in a couple of more days.

Comment from: nyoho, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 9 1/2 months pregnant. I have had an awful pain that shoots through my butt cheeks, down my thigh and to almost my knee, for several months now. My doctor told me it was my sciatica nerve and that if I just change my position it should stop the pain. That is not the case! I am just a couple days away from delivering my baby by C-section and I have not been able to go to the bathroom for over a week now. I've never been very regular to begin with. But now when I try to go to the bathroom, that pain shoots down my butt cheek and I am not able to stay seated on the toilet. I wonder if it is possible that my blockage is interfering with the sciatic nerve.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?