Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: sharine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I've been having this pain from my lower back on my left side, travelling down my buttock, down behind my thigh, behind my knee, down my calf and down to my toes. My toes are tingling and feel numb but are not numb to the touch, and it's only my pinky toe and the toe next to it. The pain is not severe but it's annoying. Some days it's worse than other days. The pain in my back is worse when I twist my body, sometimes it is a shooting pain. I cannot sleep too long on my left side because then I will feel this pain in my leg and I have to change position. Some days the pain in my leg will bother me the whole day when sitting at my desk at work. When I get up and walk a little the pain will ease up. Like I mentioned before, the pain is not unbearable (no painkillers necessary) but it's annoying.

Comment from: Eyes, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 18

Sciatica pain is the worst pain I have ever experienced. Getting up from a sitting position is almost impossible. I have pain radiating down my right leg with numbness under right foot. I am screaming and crying every day from the pain. Walking is no problem, but bending, sitting and turning in bed are just impossible. Treatment is ibuprofen 600 mg twice a day. Heat pad and pain killers do not help. Sciatica nerve must take its course. This has been 4 weeks with slow improvement.

Comment from: spicer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Two years ago I ruptured my L4 disk. Intense sciatic pain in the right leg lasted for 4 weeks while doctors gave me Vicodin, Lidocaine patches and sent me for PT (physiotherapy). The pain was so intense the muscles pulled my right hip out of alignment. I broke down in tears at the PT appointment. I then tried the chiropractor, I had some relief but not enough. Finally I gave in to friends' advice and saw an acupuncturist. After 2 visits I was pain free! I was able to continue with the chiropractor and PT therapy for 2 months until my insurance ran out. Three weeks ago I had back spasm which caused mild sciatic pain. I am recovering from knee replacement so I guess the medications kept it under control. For the last week pain has been increasing until tonight it is excruciating. I can't lie down, must sit on a recliner to sleep with heat pad on thigh. Counting the hours until I can see acupuncturist on Monday!

Comment from: perky, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 01

My problem began 55 years ago making a cement sidewalk when I in my male prime carelessly lifted cement bags and was not paying attention to bent knees; I injured my back and since then have been paying the price in pain, pain and pain; 222s gave me ulcer and simple things like lifting a fallen pencil sunk me to my knees and bed. I have had numerous sciatica bouts of immobility and pain. This is my worst bout with movements and pain; I've tried therapies, chiropractors, medications, etc. just name it! Now, I'm trying Cymbalta, a slight chance it may relieve pain of the irritable sciatica; I know the hazards of the drug, but what to do!

Comment from: Debra, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

Last December I stepped off the top step and my right knee popped. It was so painful. Now after all this time I have the most terrible pain that goes from my right buttock all the way down to the bottom of my foot; it takes away my breath. It feels like electrical currents running through my entire leg. I can't lay down the pain is so bad. I have to try to sleep in my recliner. I only sleep from 1 to 2 hours and am up every hour after that. This pain is unbearable. I am miserable. I have no insurance so not am not taking any treatment. I need some relief.

Comment from: Hopeful, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I have suffered from sciatic pain for over a year. Unfortunately I experience it in both legs and I have pain every day. At times it is very debilitating. Physical therapy has really helped me. Strengthening the core muscles that support the spine has decreased my pain significantly. Next week I begin dry needling to eliminate muscle pain. I'm actually looking forward to it because I desperately want to be pain-free and avoid back surgery and cortisone shots. I am hopeful that some relief is in sight!

Comment from: j1m2t3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I am a nurse who developed sciatica pain secondary to arthritis in L4 and L5. Sometimes I wake up with tingling in my leg. At times the dorsal aspect of my foot is sore with walking. I feel best when I stretch, eat healthy and use ice and heat. For pharmaceutical use: Aleve and Tylenol. I would definitely benefit from losing weight. It can be depressing to have pain even when trying to change position at night in bed. But when I neglect my body is when I really notice more pain.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?