Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: NeedRelief, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had two herniated and bulging discs as well as spinal stenosis pain for over 15 years. I am always dealing with some level of pain. Five weeks ago I "sprained” my back. Pain manager gave me a couple of injections of lidocaine, oral steroid, pain killers and muscle relaxers. I was ok within 5 days. A week ago I sneezed, but was unable to brace myself in time, felt a pop in my lower back. I went back to pain manager, same treatment, for what is the most horrific pain. I've had sciatica in the past, pain in my butt. This pain is excruciating and radiates from my hip down to my foot. The only time the pain is tolerable is when I am walking. I am scheduled for a cortisone epidural next week.

Comment from: karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

In 2011 I herniated disc L4/L5, and I was told I had spinal stenosis and severe sciatica plus my discs are bigger than the norm. Till today I live every minute with my left foot numb and buttocks sore. I have a lot of muscle cramps. I've done everything there is to do even go to physiotherapy 3 times a week. The more I walk or stand the more I hurt. No surgery has been done and I'm hoping for an MRI in the near future. I'm better than I was but am still limited.

Comment from: vb101, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

My sciatica acts up occasionally. I found that this time it was following a 24 hour flu that ran through our house. I had violent vomiting and runs, only to be followed by this pain. Day two, pain still radiating down my leg, kept me up most of the night, but I took some Tylenol and it seems to be helping, as well as moving around. My pain level is at about an 8 out of ten.

Comment from: Mark, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 17

I spent several hours cooking hush puppies which meant a lot of bending over. The next day my left hip began to hurt. I went to my physician assistant and she diagnosed sciatic nerve problem. I have had an x-ray and was put on prednisone and a muscle relaxer. I only take the muscle relaxer at night to make sleeping a little more bearable. The pain is in my lower back but really hurts the most in my left butt and hip. It radiates down my left leg all the way to my foot. The physician assistant said that they may want an MRI after looking at the x-ray. I usually have a very high pain tolerance but this is through the roof.

Comment from: sharine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I've been having this pain from my lower back on my left side, travelling down my buttock, down behind my thigh, behind my knee, down my calf and down to my toes. My toes are tingling and feel numb but are not numb to the touch, and it's only my pinky toe and the toe next to it. The pain is not severe but it's annoying. Some days it's worse than other days. The pain in my back is worse when I twist my body, sometimes it is a shooting pain. I cannot sleep too long on my left side because then I will feel this pain in my leg and I have to change position. Some days the pain in my leg will bother me the whole day when sitting at my desk at work. When I get up and walk a little the pain will ease up. Like I mentioned before, the pain is not unbearable (no painkillers necessary) but it's annoying.

Comment from: Eyes, 55-64 (Patient) Published: November 18

Sciatica pain is the worst pain I have ever experienced. Getting up from a sitting position is almost impossible. I have pain radiating down my right leg with numbness under right foot. I am screaming and crying every day from the pain. Walking is no problem, but bending, sitting and turning in bed are just impossible. Treatment is ibuprofen 600 mg twice a day. Heat pad and pain killers do not help. Sciatica nerve must take its course. This has been 4 weeks with slow improvement.

Comment from: spicer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 06

Two years ago I ruptured my L4 disk. Intense sciatic pain in the right leg lasted for 4 weeks while doctors gave me Vicodin, Lidocaine patches and sent me for PT (physiotherapy). The pain was so intense the muscles pulled my right hip out of alignment. I broke down in tears at the PT appointment. I then tried the chiropractor, I had some relief but not enough. Finally I gave in to friends' advice and saw an acupuncturist. After 2 visits I was pain free! I was able to continue with the chiropractor and PT therapy for 2 months until my insurance ran out. Three weeks ago I had back spasm which caused mild sciatic pain. I am recovering from knee replacement so I guess the medications kept it under control. For the last week pain has been increasing until tonight it is excruciating. I can't lie down, must sit on a recliner to sleep with heat pad on thigh. Counting the hours until I can see acupuncturist on Monday!

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?