Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: barfon, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 30

I"ve been suffering sciatica pain for 3 years. My doctor sent me to get the shot to the back, it never really helped. Now my pain is so severe that I have been told that I will need surgery to correct this. My left foot is cold to the touch and it is swollen; also I can"t feel it when walking. For the last 2 weeks there now is pain in my testicles and I am not sure if this is also from the sciatica nerve. I will have to contact the doctor to meet with a surgeon to get this fixed.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

For two months I have been taking drugs and painkillers for sciatica. After walking 300 m I have pain in between leg, knee, and foot. I do exercises for sciatica.

Comment from: kate7, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I had a hysterectomy 5 1/2 years ago, in which they nicked my sciatic nerve with a stitch. My left leg is in constant pain along with muscle spasms and nothing seems to help. I was told it would take time to heal the nerve, but 5 1/2 years? Seriously! Wouldn"t it feel a little better by now!

Comment from: Roundthebend, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I have had an active life, but recently retired from a sedentary job. I"ve had back pain for several years, but in the last several months I have searing pain down the backs of both of my legs, it is crippling! If I bend down to pick up something, it triggers the pain that lasts for about 15 minutes.

Comment from: Tas, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 04

I am in the throes of recovery from debilitating sciatica. It came on two weeks after collecting apples from below a low growing apple tree. I had been on my knees stretching forward. When I went to get up I was unable to stand, no pain, more loss of leg function which resolved within minutes. I had no other symptoms until sciatica pain started radiating around buttock, down rear of leg to foot. I tried Panadol and over the counter anti-inflammatory with intermittent rest. After two weeks I was still unable to walk for more than a few meters due to the pain. I went to the general physician and was given oral prednisolone 25mg for 3 days then 12.5mg for 2 days. I did not take prescribed stronger analgesia as after 4 hours of first dose of prednisolone the pain was much better, but before next dose due the pain returned. I am now starting on a prescribed daily oral NSAID. The pain is not as debilitating but today was the last dose of prednisolone. If it does not fully resolve I will have an MRI.

Comment from: Marti, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Two weeks ago, I was experiencing some sciatica nerve pain. The doctor gave me amitriptyline which never even touched the pain at all. A week later I fell on my left hip. I thought I had broken or fractured my pelvic bone. I went to the emergency room and x-rays showed nothing was broken. I was given Percocet 5mg. It took the edge off the pain, but nothing else. At that time, all the pain centered in the pelvic area. Four days later, the sciatica nerve kicked back in full time. From the left cheek area all the way down to my left foot. It hurts to stand, it hurts to walk, hurts to lie down. It hurts right now just sitting here typing this. I had a follow up appointment with a doctor yesterday, she just increased the Percocet to 10mg. It makes me sleepy. I have to use a walker just to get around. I cannot walk by myself from just one area of the room to another. Pain is so intense that I just would like to cry. I have a very low threshold for pain. I went to my chiropractor yesterday, and he said hopefully by Friday, I should be feeling better. I just want the pain to go away!

Comment from: Isabella, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 04

My sciatica pain was so excruciating down my hip and hamstring to my knee I cannot pull myself up stairs. I finally went to the doctor and he put me on prednisone for 7 days. Within 2 days I could start walking up the stairs.

Comment from: mamahurts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I am 45 and a mother of 3. I have always been active and healthy. Nothing held me back and I always had a high tolerance for pain. This past May (2013), I had to sit with my back unsupported on school bleachers for 2 hours. Since that day I have had severe pain. After an MRI in Sept of 2013 I t showed I had a bulged disc around L-4 on my left side. Steroid injections and rest did not help and I had to have surgery. Finally I had relief but after a month back to work and on my feet for 6 hours at a time, my right leg started to go numb and increased to chronic pain radiating down my right leg to my toes but my back never hurt. I returned to the doctor and another MRI was done and showed another ruptured disc on the L-5 and S-1. I tried injections but I ended up with emergency surgery the day after Christmas because of intolerable pain. The doctor said that the MRI did not show everything that was going on which is why my pain was so bad. The bulge was enormous and slightly ruptured into the nerves. It has now been 3 and 1/2 weeks and I do not have the severe pain that I had at Christmas but I do still have pain and weakness when standing and walking. I cannot stand up over 20 minutes without a heavy aching pain and tingle in my feet. My back side of my legs are still numb from the damage of the bulge. I need to return to work but I am afraid I will damage it more. There has to be a solution for this! I am too young and have two small children to finish raising.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?