Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have severe pain in the buttocks down to the leg because of sciatica.

Comment from: Brokcollegemom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I fell today on black ice and twisted my back along with sciatica. I have terrible spasms that brings me to tears.

Comment from: A Victom, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I have a chronic, constant throbbing pain in my right shoulder blade close to my vertebra. Sometimes my toes get numb and tingly; other times my whole foot. Also, sometimes my fingertips get tingly and numb. The symptoms started after I was riding my bike; I hit a pot hole, my right hand was the only hand on the handle bars (thank goodness), as a result, my right shoulder blade smashed against my vertebra where the sciatic nerve is.

Comment from: mamahurts, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

I am 45 and a mother of 3. I have always been active and healthy. Nothing held me back and I always had a high tolerance for pain. This past May (2013), I had to sit with my back unsupported on school bleachers for 2 hours. Since that day I have had severe pain. After an MRI in Sept of 2013 I t showed I had a bulged disc around L-4 on my left side. Steroid injections and rest did not help and I had to have surgery. Finally I had relief but after a month back to work and on my feet for 6 hours at a time, my right leg started to go numb and increased to chronic pain radiating down my right leg to my toes but my back never hurt. I returned to the doctor and another MRI was done and showed another ruptured disc on the L-5 and S-1. I tried injections but I ended up with emergency surgery the day after Christmas because of intolerable pain. The doctor said that the MRI did not show everything that was going on which is why my pain was so bad. The bulge was enormous and slightly ruptured into the nerves. It has now been 3 and 1/2 weeks and I do not have the severe pain that I had at Christmas but I do still have pain and weakness when standing and walking. I cannot stand up over 20 minutes without a heavy aching pain and tingle in my feet. My back side of my legs are still numb from the damage of the bulge. I need to return to work but I am afraid I will damage it more. There has to be a solution for this! I am too young and have two small children to finish raising.

Comment from: NeedRelief, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had two herniated and bulging discs as well as spinal stenosis pain for over 15 years. I am always dealing with some level of pain. Five weeks ago I "sprained” my back. Pain manager gave me a couple of injections of lidocaine, oral steroid, pain killers and muscle relaxers. I was ok within 5 days. A week ago I sneezed, but was unable to brace myself in time, felt a pop in my lower back. I went back to pain manager, same treatment, for what is the most horrific pain. I've had sciatica in the past, pain in my butt. This pain is excruciating and radiates from my hip down to my foot. The only time the pain is tolerable is when I am walking. I am scheduled for a cortisone epidural next week.

Comment from: karen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 17

In 2011 I herniated disc L4/L5, and I was told I had spinal stenosis and severe sciatica plus my discs are bigger than the norm. Till today I live every minute with my left foot numb and buttocks sore. I have a lot of muscle cramps. I've done everything there is to do even go to physiotherapy 3 times a week. The more I walk or stand the more I hurt. No surgery has been done and I'm hoping for an MRI in the near future. I'm better than I was but am still limited.

Comment from: vb101, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 02

My sciatica acts up occasionally. I found that this time it was following a 24 hour flu that ran through our house. I had violent vomiting and runs, only to be followed by this pain. Day two, pain still radiating down my leg, kept me up most of the night, but I took some Tylenol and it seems to be helping, as well as moving around. My pain level is at about an 8 out of ten.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?