Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Aaron, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I felt something in my lower back twist when I was at my new job. I have pain from my buttocks to my right leg, calf, thigh, and foot. I can't stand in one position for long. And some days the sciatica is worse than others (workdays). It's been three weeks, I think I should go to the urgent care; I'm sick of being in such pain.

Comment from: Taking amoxicillin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had pain blocks for nerve pain; however, when I started taking amoxicillin for a sinus problem I felt like my old self again. The pain block really didn't help, but the amoxicillin helped my sciatica wonderfully.

Comment from: Rosemary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I had sciatica when pregnant some 35 years ago. My mother also had a spell of it when she was in her 70s. Then about two to three weeks ago I got a twinge in my bottom and down my right leg to the calf. I took some aspirin and the pain subsided. Whilst Christmas shopping in the local mall the pain became unbearable and the only relief I have had is going into the warm pool at the aqua park we visited just before Christmas. I have spent the last week of the holiday in absolute agony, taking one pain medication after the other, as well as an anti-inflammatory. I am now trying Nurofen and Voltaren Emulgel rub. Today is my first day and it seems to be hanging in there! All I can think about is the New Year's medical aid to kick in on 1st Jan so I can visit the doctor!

Comment from: Annie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 23

I am a 45 year old mother of three, and a waitress. I have been a server for all of my adult life. For the last three years I have suffered from sciatica. It is so painful, I can hardly sleep because I can feel the pain all through the night, even if I manage to fall asleep. No pain medicines seem to touch the pain. I will be going to a specialist soon, but do not want just medicines thrown at me. I would like an answer and a solution (if there is one). Anyone who doesn't have it, doesn't quite get it. I tell my husband that I want to cut my legs off, that's how it feels from morning till night. It sounds extreme, but nothing makes the chronic pain go away. I have tried stretches, exercises, pillows on chairs, etc., we also ride motorcycles, and it takes me 15 minutes or so to get off the bike, the pain gets so bad. I don't want to give these things up, or my livelihood, but soon I feel I won't have a choice. I have done some research and I feel like surgery is really the only long term solution.

Comment from: BrokenBody, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 19

I have had osteoarthritis in both knees for many years. A year ago, I could not even walk. It improved after ultra sound and interferential treatment as well as leg stretch and strengthening exercises, and now returned to normal activities. Just a few days ago, I had excruciating pain from hip down the whole legs. Pain in left leg was more intensive. The pain was most intensive passing urine and stool. Pain was less severe lying down or standing up with straight leg. After one day, I went to my physiotherapist and asked if interferential treatment would help my sciatica. She gave me a dose of ultra sound and interferential treatment. It improved 90% right after the treatment. No more pain passing urine or stool. After one day, I have only occasional minor pain. Hope pain to be gone in a couple of more days.

Comment from: nyoho, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I am 9 1/2 months pregnant. I have had an awful pain that shoots through my butt cheeks, down my thigh and to almost my knee, for several months now. My doctor told me it was my sciatica nerve and that if I just change my position it should stop the pain. That is not the case! I am just a couple days away from delivering my baby by C-section and I have not been able to go to the bathroom for over a week now. I've never been very regular to begin with. But now when I try to go to the bathroom, that pain shoots down my butt cheek and I am not able to stay seated on the toilet. I wonder if it is possible that my blockage is interfering with the sciatic nerve.

Comment from: jcinsdca, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

According to my chiropractor my problem is with my sciatica. The pain in my lower back is about a 1 (on a scale of 1 to 10). As it goes down my leg, which I do not feel in my thigh, it increases in my knee area. As it continues down my leg, again, not felt in my calf area, it really hits me hard in the ankle. The pain is many times a 10. It feels as though my ankle is broken! X-rays show otherwise. It makes walking or standing almost impossible.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?