Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: Leslie, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

I developed spinal stenosis in December 2013 (now April 2016). No pain sitting or driving. Severe sciatica pain hit (7 to 8) after standing or walking. I had vertebrae L2 and L3 fused in August 2015. In last few months I can stand 5 to 8 minutes in the morning, 2 to 3 in the afternoon, and often only 40 seconds to 1 minute late in the evening. I carry a cane the opens into a seat, and still do grocery shopping and cooking but have to sit every few minutes as pain is excruciating, especially my left calf.

Comment from: carolinaunc, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I had sciatica pain on left side, pain radiating down from hip to foot, numbness in foot. When I woke up in the morning I could barely walk. In October 2015 I had a detached retina surgery and was told by the doctor that I could only sleep on my right side (I'm a left side sleeper) while it was healing which was about 3 weeks. Lo and behold the sciatica gradually improved! Now I try to make myself sleep mostly on my right side with a pillow between my legs. I am now almost now pain free.

Comment from: 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 07

I was suffering from sciatica as my doctor said a few day ago. I can't sit, stand, walk, or sleep due to pain in the calf of my left leg. But, by pain killer and rest now I have more than 80 percent relief, but sensation is still there and my doctor says to rest and rest for overall recovery.

Comment from: Pat, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I have and continue to suffer extreme sciatica pain for over two years. Three surgeries did not help at all. The doctor won't give me pain pills, never has. I have destroyed my kidneys with overuse of Advil. I have had 2 mini strokes one resulting in a car accident. I spent Christmas day with horrible pain. I don't know what to do next.

Comment from: Duppie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

I am so excited! I had been using a heating pad when I sleep at night to fight off muscle cramps. That was several years ago. Then someone gave me an electric throw last Christmas and I used it all the time at night. All the while noticing the sciatica getting worse; even in the fall when usually it would improve once summer passed. I washed the throw and it wasn't dry so I skipped using it one night. The sciatica was incredibly better the next day. I tested to make sure it wasn't a fluke. Nope, it had much improved without the heating blanket/throw. I work in a hospital and just learned that heat aggravates nerve endings; and that is what the electric throw was doing. Amazing!

Comment from: Annie G, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

My doctor diagnosed sciatica 2 months ago, and gave me an exercise sheet and pain killers. I have also tried physiotherapy. Nothing has really helped, I cannot walk without severe pain in the right buttock and down that leg to my foot. It is worse when standing still. I have MRI appointment on Friday so will go from there when I hope to know the cause. Difficult to live like this, everything has to be planned around short distance walks to the next place to sit down for a few minutes. Sympathies to all sufferers.

Comment from: Steve52, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 14

Last weekend I spread 5 yards of mulch and dirt. The next day the lower back pain started. I waited a week thinking it would work itself out. I went to the doctors and physiotherapist yesterday. I can barely walk 6 steps and the sciatica pain is unbearable. It's 3:45 EST as I write this. I have slept 2 hours with the help of a muscle relaxer. I start physiotherapy tomorrow. My back has always been good and I hope they can get me back without surgery. I am also taking ibuprofen.

Comment from: Positive Thinker, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I am having sciatica from February. The pain areas are right butt, groin, thighs, and constant pain in right leg, sometimes in the left side. Reason as per my knowledge is improper postures while lifting heavy things. Medications are ibuprofen 400 mg, which I had for 5days (3 times), without relief, amitriptyline 10 mg, (since I was breast feeding they gave small dosage. No relief, but had nice sleep which makes me drowsy in the morning) and naproxen 250 mg 3 times in a day, with which I felt a bit of relief. I went to a physiotherapist and she asked me to walk as much as I can and taught me a few exercises to strengthen my back. Before starting the exercises I have set my mind that only I can help myself. I didn't bother about the pain. I walked whenever I could, and I started exercises slowly. It really helped me a lot. All I can say is sciatica is a worse pain than delivering pain in my view. All we have to do is beat the pain with proper medications, taking food and medicine at the right time, exercise, walking and last but not least self-confidence. It's been two months now. Pain is still there. But I am not bothering about it. So don't worry guys, you will be alright soon.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?