Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: farmer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I been in pain due to sciatica for over one year, I've done it all physiotherapy, shots, pills; no relief.

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have severe pain in the buttocks down to the leg because of sciatica.

Comment from: Brokcollegemom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I fell today on black ice and twisted my back along with sciatica. I have terrible spasms that brings me to tears.

Comment from: mamma m, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My experience with sciatica is causing me to panic in that I was diagnosed in November 2013. During the time, I was being seen by a pain management doctor following surgery replacing 3 discs in my neck. Because I have no insurance, my doctor sent me a letter 02/03/2014 stating that she should no longer treat me because my condition may require further medical treatment.

Comment from: Mitch, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 27

When I urinate, just as I begin, I get a sharp knife stabbing in the bottom of my left toe. The doctor says it's my sciatica.

Comment from: help, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I had a lower back injury at work in 2006, two weeks now I have the worst pain in my life, it makes me scream, it's like being crippled on my left side lower back to toes, I can't drive or sit, it's so sad, for us that's living with this sort of pain, I can't laugh or do anything like a normal person anymore.

Comment from: debb0143, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I find that naproxen helps with my sciatica.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

It's been a very hard year for my mum. The pain she gets every day and night is horrific, and from what we have been told it is sciatica. She is unable to do what she loves, which is gardening or walking. She is sleepy during the day as she has restless nights.

Comment from: Sarrita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I have had lower back pain since 1999. It was sometimes severe and sometime it was ok. Now I have pain in my left leg. It has been diagnosed as sciatica. The doctor gave me steroid injections in the spine. As a result there is significant improvement in the lower back pain but there is no improvement in the leg pain.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

My pain from sciatica is so severe sometimes, it hurts to sit down.

Comment from: Aching in Oklahoma, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 22

I am a 48 year old male in pain. I attended my 30 year high school reunion two weeks ago and had a wonderful time. All I remember was dancing the night away and the following morning, having a sharp pain in my lower left back slightly above my left butt cheek. I have been taking Aleve and stretching daily. From time to time I soak in the hot tub. The pain is less severe but not gone. I made a doctor's appointment and I am hopeful help is on the way.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?