Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Published: June 03

I missed the first step going out into the garage and twisted my ankle but didn't think to much of it until the next morning. That was 3 weeks ago. I woke up the next morning and my butt and left leg was aching. As I said that was 3 weeks ago and the pain is excruciating in my left calf muscle. The doctor prescribed Arthrotec (muscle relaxant). It doesn't appear to help much. I have a hard time walking and standing as the pain is really bad in my left leg. I am going to physio therapy in 2 days and I hope they use the sonar device. This has happened before. It works! Then alternating hot and cold treatment. I find the sports clinics much better.

Published: June 03

My sciatica began after helping to load a bunch of scuba tanks onto a boat. I ignored the pain for a month, thinking I had just pulled a muscle and hoping it would just go away, but it seemed to get worse and it became increasingly difficult to walk without cramping up. I went to a chiropractic she relieved the pain somewhat and taught me some stretching exercises that helped to immediately relieve the cramping and pain. Stretching the ham string is important. I then went to a hospital and the doc put me on medication Cataflam (Diclofenac) & Solaxin (Chlorzoxazone) these drugs relieved the pain but they have not cured it as if I stop taking them the pain is still there and just as bad as day one. I am hoping that time will heal my body.

Published: May 28

I woke up March 20 with terrible pain in my right buttock, which spread down the back of my thigh, then down the side of the calf and made my big toe numb. It hurt to walk, bend, sit...you name it. It is now May 24. I am getting better, but it's still there. Especially in the morning when I get out of bed and then when I have to sit in my car and drive. I went to the chiropractor, and I think he helped a little, but I was sick of paying the bills and going two times a week. From everything I hear, it gets better on its own.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?