Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: LedZepplin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I have spondylolisthesis, which is degenerative condition of the spine. I am on strong pain killers for this but if I get further aggravation of the nerve (as I have had recently) I can be in so much pain, to the point of passing out. The only way I can describe the sciatica pain is it is similar to the pain of a serious kidney infection. Sadly I know how that feels too. Best advice is to take pain killers, avoid lifting or bending and potter around the house. Don't lay or sit for long periods, this doesnt help at all. If you get to the point where you can't got to the toilet or its problematic get yourself down to Accident and Emergency as soon as possible.

Comment from: melissa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Five years ago, I broke my spine at L2 T12 because of a horse riding accident. Two months ago I started to have pain in my hip and went to the physiotherapist, 7 times since, and it got only worse. I got low back pain and that time he cracked me for the 3rd time. Then the pain was over but my left leg start to tingle and I couldn't walk anymore plus didn't feel it anymore. Also my right leg started and couldn't walk anymore. When I lay down on the bed it took 1 hour to walk again. Doctors don't see anything on the scans.

Comment from: solomon mighi, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I was making hips for the planting of yam, when suddenly I felt the lower part of me pain and I could not continue with the hip making. And now the pain has grown down my legs. If I work or walk for a long period it starts paining.

Comment from: Tom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I have leg pain from sciatica, while driving a vehicle any length of time.

Comment from: Richard Merck Stewar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I have burning sensation below my back and at the face of my butt and back of my thighs. I put my electrical impulse to make me sleep at night. Also I encounter severe spasm and tightness of my muscle on my thigh and burning sensation on the toe.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

For two months I have been taking drugs and painkillers for sciatica. After walking 300 m I have pain in between leg, knee, and foot. I do exercises for sciatica.

Comment from: farmer, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 07

I been in pain due to sciatica for over one year, I've done it all physiotherapy, shots, pills; no relief.

Comment from: Barbara, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 08

I have severe pain in the buttocks down to the leg because of sciatica.

Comment from: Brokcollegemom, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I fell today on black ice and twisted my back along with sciatica. I have terrible spasms that brings me to tears.

Comment from: mamma m, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

My experience with sciatica is causing me to panic in that I was diagnosed in November 2013. During the time, I was being seen by a pain management doctor following surgery replacing 3 discs in my neck. Because I have no insurance, my doctor sent me a letter 02/03/2014 stating that she should no longer treat me because my condition may require further medical treatment.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?