Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Comment from: sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 15

With sciatica, this is the first time I have ever experienced such pain. I get occasional lower backaches but this pain is always in my thighs to my knees. The burning and numbness is just unbearable. Sometimes I get sharp pains there also and if I cough the pain is just awful. I have to stand for 6 hours at work and sometimes I am in tears from this awful situation. This has been going on about a year now.

Published: July 09

My pain started a few days after a long driving trip (4000 miles). It's the first time I've had this problem. The pain was very intense making even simple movements of my left leg very painful. It was a 10 on the 1-10 scale. Bending over was impossible. No matter how long I looked at my sock on the floor I could not pick it up. The pain would strike from my left butt cheek to my left ankle. After I'd move it would continue to ache for a period of time. I could not sit in most chairs as it was too uncomfortable. I spent four days in a chair with minimal time out of the chair. I could barely walk to get to the bathroom or to get food. After the fourth day I found that 800 mg of Ibuprofen would give me relief for about three hours. The day after that (today) the pain was much less, only about a 4 on the 10 scale and that was without any Ibuprofen. I'm looking forward to continued recovery.

Published: May 28

To begin with, the pain was located in the upper inner quadrant of the left buttock as if a deep intramuscular injection was given! Then the pain started radiating down the buttock, back of the thigh down to the popliteal fossa. I could minimize the pain by adopting certain postures. Heat was more effective in alleviating the pain. In three weeks time, the pain severity came down by almost 50% without using too many analgesics. Walking exercises were continued despite pain.

Comment from: Oscar Shelton, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 01

I have tried everything for sciatica and no help, nothing would touch this pain.

Comment from: moydan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I have developed a serve pain in my buttocks which travels down the back of my leg.

Comment from: koe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I have had debilitating sciatica for two years. Chiropractors and physical therapy have not helped, and have actually made my problems worse.

Comment from: LedZepplin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I have spondylolisthesis, which is degenerative condition of the spine. I am on strong pain killers for this but if I get further aggravation of the nerve (as I have had recently) I can be in so much pain, to the point of passing out. The only way I can describe the sciatica pain is it is similar to the pain of a serious kidney infection. Sadly I know how that feels too. Best advice is to take pain killers, avoid lifting or bending and potter around the house. Don't lay or sit for long periods, this doesnt help at all. If you get to the point where you can't got to the toilet or its problematic get yourself down to Accident and Emergency as soon as possible.

Comment from: melissa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Five years ago, I broke my spine at L2 T12 because of a horse riding accident. Two months ago I started to have pain in my hip and went to the physiotherapist, 7 times since, and it got only worse. I got low back pain and that time he cracked me for the 3rd time. Then the pain was over but my left leg start to tingle and I couldn't walk anymore plus didn't feel it anymore. Also my right leg started and couldn't walk anymore. When I lay down on the bed it took 1 hour to walk again. Doctors don't see anything on the scans.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?