Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Published: May 28

To begin with, the pain was located in the upper inner quadrant of the left buttock as if a deep intramuscular injection was given! Then the pain started radiating down the buttock, back of the thigh down to the popliteal fossa. I could minimize the pain by adopting certain postures. Heat was more effective in alleviating the pain. In three weeks time, the pain severity came down by almost 50% without using too many analgesics. Walking exercises were continued despite pain.

Comment from: moydan, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 15

I have developed a serve pain in my buttocks which travels down the back of my leg.

Comment from: koe, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 17

I have had debilitating sciatica for two years. Chiropractors and physical therapy have not helped, and have actually made my problems worse.

Comment from: LedZepplin, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 06

I have spondylolisthesis, which is degenerative condition of the spine. I am on strong pain killers for this but if I get further aggravation of the nerve (as I have had recently) I can be in so much pain, to the point of passing out. The only way I can describe the sciatica pain is it is similar to the pain of a serious kidney infection. Sadly I know how that feels too. Best advice is to take pain killers, avoid lifting or bending and potter around the house. Don't lay or sit for long periods, this doesnt help at all. If you get to the point where you can't got to the toilet or its problematic get yourself down to Accident and Emergency as soon as possible.

Comment from: melissa, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

Five years ago, I broke my spine at L2 T12 because of a horse riding accident. Two months ago I started to have pain in my hip and went to the physiotherapist, 7 times since, and it got only worse. I got low back pain and that time he cracked me for the 3rd time. Then the pain was over but my left leg start to tingle and I couldn't walk anymore plus didn't feel it anymore. Also my right leg started and couldn't walk anymore. When I lay down on the bed it took 1 hour to walk again. Doctors don't see anything on the scans.

Comment from: solomon mighi, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 01

I was making hips for the planting of yam, when suddenly I felt the lower part of me pain and I could not continue with the hip making. And now the pain has grown down my legs. If I work or walk for a long period it starts paining.

Comment from: Tom, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I have leg pain from sciatica, while driving a vehicle any length of time.

Comment from: Richard Merck Stewar, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 02

I have burning sensation below my back and at the face of my butt and back of my thighs. I put my electrical impulse to make me sleep at night. Also I encounter severe spasm and tightness of my muscle on my thigh and burning sensation on the toe.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: May 21

For two months I have been taking drugs and painkillers for sciatica. After walking 300 m I have pain in between leg, knee, and foot. I do exercises for sciatica.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?