Patient Comments: Sciatica - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with sciatica.

Published: June 16

Lower back pain that is to one side or both sides of the spine.Can't walk without pain and being bent over.usualy gets better after three or four days.I went to a chiroprator and the treatment did little or no good.

Published: June 12

I was never diagnosed with sciatica but what I experience I think it must be it. I know I have lordosis and scoliosis which is progressing with my age. I have horrible pain and numbness in my left leg going down to the calf. There are days when I limp and I try to hide it as much as possible. In the shop when I can't stand anymore I squat pretending I look at the product on the bottom shelf. What I have observed is that my numbness gets worse after consumption of fizzy drinks, beer, colored drinks and sweets, cookies with baking powder, raisins and many other foods with additives. Now I try to stay away from them and it is better.

Published: June 09

The pain is still intense; it has affected everything in my life. Can't sit, walk, bend, push, pull, stand, lay down, reach, squat, lift or anything else hardly without causing more intense pain. I guess I could maybe work again, (if I could find a job floating). My sciatica affects my low right back & hip, down right leg to foot (a lot) and at times even goes across to my other hip and down other leg to around the knee. At times I walk with a limp, from the pain too. When it is damp or cold, it gets worse too. About the only thing I can find to do (no insurance) is to get SOMBRA and rub it in, and it will at least take a slight bit of the edge off the pain. Getting in my car, using the 6 way power seat until I hit a position where I am in less pain does help for at least a few minutes (if I can get TO my car that is). Being in constant pain isn't a fun way to live. I have noticed that IF I can get to a jacuzzi/hot tub and lay and float in the water (hot) that it will ease the pain also somewhat for a few minutes, too. Doing this without any type of pain medication seems to cruel and all but I know that everything happens for a reason. I am hoping this will go away one day soon.

Published: June 09

I have had this pain diagnosed as sciatic for at least six months. I am miserable and nothing seems to help. Finally the MD prescribed me Percocet, and it help me function on a somewhat normal level. It is completely debilitating for me. Someday the pain is so bad and goes down my leg in spasms, I just want to cry.

Published: June 06

I have had sciatica nerve pain for a long time now. I normally have back pain all the time in the middle of my spine and lower right back, and very often the pain in my lower right back pinches and goes down my leg along with hip pain. I tried physical therapy and chiropractics. Nothing helped.

Published: June 05

I was told I had serious Sciatica about 2 months ago. I was mopping the floor 1 day and my toes started to hurt. I really didn't think much of it until my lower ankle and calf started to hurt as well. Within a few hours I had pain from the tips of my toes to my lower back. It was PAINFUL! I couldn't sleep, walk, lay down, situp, nothing. Everything was painful. I dealt with the pain for a week due to the fact that I have no INSURANCE and over-the-counter drugs were not working. Finally my boyfriend forced me to go to the hospital where I got 3 shots to the buttocks and prescribed Codeine and an anti-inflammatory was pain free within 2 weeks after the hospital visit but I had to force myself away from the Meds because I was told people from the ages of 30 to 60 get it and there's a great chance that it will come again.

Published: June 04

I'm not sure that I have sciatica, but the description seems to fit. I can hardly get out of bed in the morning, but after I've been up for 15 minutes or so, it goes away. I can still walk 30 minutes a day and ski in the winter.

Published: June 04

My pain started all of a sudden I couldn't walk because the pain was so strong. My dr prescribed gabapentin and it helped me a great deal.

Sciatica - Medications Question: What effective OTC or prescription medications were helpful with your sciatica?
Sciatica - Causes Question: What was the cause of your sciatica?
Sciatica - Symptoms Question: Please describe your sciatica pain and associated symptoms. Where did the pain start?